Simon the Sorcerer IV coming to the US

Simon the Sorcerer IV coming to the US

Simon the Sorcerer IV: Chaos Happens will be coming to the US early next year.

bit-tech readers will already know about my love of adventure games and some of the rather extreme and unrealistic methods I've proposed to help bring them back to forefront of PC gaming. I hope you'll understand then how I couldn't help but post this little bit of adventure game news.

Apparently, PlayLogic has announced at Leipzig GC 2007 that it will be publishing a translated version of the latest Simon the Sorcerer game - one which I was oddly unaware of.

Simon the Sorcerer IV: Chaos Happens was released only in Germany, which is unsurprising given the love for adventure games over there (which is probably thanks to strict regulation which opposes violent games). Now PlayLogic will be translating the game into English and publishing it in North America in early 2008. There's no word on a UK release yet, but it seems likely.

The Simon the Sorcerer series began back on DOS in 1993, attempting to capitalise on the trend back then for point-and-click adventure games. Although the first games were blatantly made in a Monkey Island mould and used an interface very similar to the SCUMM engine which powered all Lucasarts' adventure games, the series still gathered many fans thanks to a crude sense of humour and plentiful innuendo.

Simon the Sorcerer IV updates the game with a 3D engine and was released earlier this year in Germany, without my knowledge. I swear, I should make sure all publishers send all their adventure games through me for my official approval.

Ever play Simon the Sorcerer? What did you think to it? Are adventure games dying or is the genre having a resurgence now? Answers in the forums, if you please.

riggs 29th August 2007, 18:15 Quote
Awesome! Think I ony ever played the second one, but it was pretty good.

They should get in touch with Chris Barries' agent and try roping him into doing it. I mean, he must need the work these days, and it'd be a nice break from presenting the odd show on the Discovery channel!

On an adventure game side note, I've just preordered my copy of S&M Season 1 from Play...woot!
mikeuk2004 29th August 2007, 19:16 Quote
Oh yeah. I Loved 1 & 2 to death, I was young and found the first one difficult. I remeber it was one of my first CD games for PC with Full Throttle. We never could get it to run properly as in those days games mainly supported Sound Blaster cards and we had one of the many Sound Blaster clones which always had driver problems due to no support. It would only run properly on my uncles Acorn which, I think was using a dos emulator.

They better get Chriss Barrie to do the voice over again. He was great
ElZog 29th August 2007, 20:06 Quote
Wasn't the third 3d, and also terrible?

Nice to see a new adventure game getting released though.
Jamie 30th August 2007, 01:00 Quote
I want a new Discworld adventure game, the first one was awesome.
Rebourne 30th August 2007, 06:44 Quote
I really liked Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, I think adventure games need to evolve and become more 3d and roaming like that. Although the game could have been better over all and the controls could be annoying at times.

Point and click to me is just too clunky and not as immersive as full 3d.
BlueDemon 30th August 2007, 12:52 Quote
The Longest Journey is indeed a most excellent game in its genre, maybe even better than the Monkey Island series (sorry, Joe!). I also really liked Beyond Good and Evil with its beautiful graphics and absorbing storyline (and it's in 3D to boot).
The Simon games always seemed a bit... clunky. Stupid in some parts, too hard in other parts.
CardJoe 30th August 2007, 13:12 Quote
BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL FTW (for under a fiver no less...)