Mafia 2 announced for PC and console

Mafia 2 announced for PC and console

It may have had a mixed reception, but the original Mafia game was still miles better than The Godfather.

It's a complicated and incestuous world sometimes in the industry of computer games, so take some time to get your head around the news that Take-Two subsidiary 2K Games has announced that Illusion Software is making a new Mafia game - it's like the big daddy telling you it's brother told you that it's friend made you a present.

The new game, cleverly called Mafia 2, is a sequel to the 2002 mobster-orientated action game also developed by Illusion.

Mafia 2 will again be set in the 1940's era and will again be about sandbox gangster action - with the publisher already boasting that the game will be “packed with both behind-the-wheel and on-foot action...fusing high octane gunplay with white knuckle driving and an engaging narrative.”

The game is set to launch on PC, where the previous title did quite well, and an as yet unspecified next-gen console. Our bet is on the PlayStation 3, but it's just a hunch.

“As the original Mafia was a big success, we are excited to leverage the power of next generation console technology to create an all-new experience, while embracing the elements that resonated with the previous game’s fans,” said Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K, in a press statement. “The ‘wow’ factor of Mafia 2 is definitely the benchmark-setting visual quality and action that you expect to see only in Hollywood movies.”

Despite a mixed reception on release to consoles, the original Mafia has remained steadily popular and still has an active mod community to this day.

On a very unrelated side-note, it was while we were getting some screenshots for this game that we came across the fact that Mafia is apparently also the name of a real-world team game.

Like Mafia? What about the team-game of the same name? Let us know in the forums.

will. 22nd August 2007, 11:04 Quote
Awesome news!

I loved the last game. It was brilliant! Great story and narrative with brilliant voice acting. Excellent graphics and an insane damage system which I don't think I've seen any other game attempt since.
naokaji 22nd August 2007, 11:13 Quote
edited out due to a certain problem with a certain company
Salazaar 22nd August 2007, 11:18 Quote
Sweet!

I loved that game, I just hope they don't arcade it up too much. The (fairly) realistic handling and damage on the cars was one of the things that made it so special.
-equilerex- 22nd August 2007, 11:56 Quote
amazing game- really powerful storyline that made you live into the game, very nice athmosphere of the whole thing... music, setting, gfx, etc and exellent gameplay... it was all perfectly mixed together and its still one of my favourite games... mafia2 is really, really, really good news for me!
Hazardous 22nd August 2007, 13:56 Quote

That is all :D
naokaji 22nd August 2007, 14:13 Quote
Beware.... its form the company that makes the 2 activiations only limit in Bioshock.....

mafia 2 is off my wishlist. (until 2k comes up with a acceptable solution for the problem).
firefly 22nd August 2007, 14:38 Quote
omg, Bioshock comes out, and now Mafia 2 is announced?! This week is gaming heaven.
Amon 22nd August 2007, 14:53 Quote
Loved the first game to death although most people around me hated it. I guess the game was better-received in Europe than in North America.
MiNiMaL_FuSS 22nd August 2007, 15:34 Quote
Mafia was a brilliant game, be intresting to see if they try to pickup the story line at all....after all the first game was set in the 1930's, Mafia 2 is supposed to be set in the 1940's and we see Tommy get killed in the epilogue in the 1960's.

Still no hope of a 'Gangsters 3' yet though :(

the screenshots look amazing 'http://www.2kgames.com/mafia2/home.html'
quack 22nd August 2007, 16:27 Quote
Loved the first one, looking forward to this! Only annoying thing about the first one was that none of the cars was quite fast enough for my tastes - guess I was too spoiled by GTA.
Da_Rude_Baboon 22nd August 2007, 17:18 Quote
My main problem with the first game was the way soon as you broke the speed limit the cops pulled you over. Hopefully Mafia 2 will be as good as the first one.
Sandwich 22nd August 2007, 17:22 Quote
the first one was just spectacular. The sabotage missions had such a realistic feel to them that just made you feel so devious (race car levels anyone?). Too bad I lost a few of the install discs :( i think there were 7 right? tis a shame. I was thinking of trying to find it in a bargain bin somewhere but i doubt I'd find it.
Major 22nd August 2007, 19:22 Quote
Originally Posted by Da_Rude_Baboon

Well then you should look at your map while driving. :)

Great news, only recently did I post about this. ;)
LeMaltor 22nd August 2007, 20:03 Quote
Yeah you only had to watch out for red cones on the map, its much harder to avoid the gits in real life :)