Lost: The Game trailer

Lost: The Game trailer

Lost: The Video Game will cast players as a new survivor from flight Oceanic Flight 815, one not featured in the show.

Lost; the chances are that if you haven't heard of it then you've been technically dead for the last few years and, if you haven't watched it, then you probably have very little idea about what makes the series such a hit.

Created by J.J Abrams and Damon Lindelof, the series chronicles the adventures of the survivors of a plane crash, flight Oceanic 815, on a small tropical island. What starts out as a simple survival drama however soon escalates when a group known as 'The Others' start kidnapping the survivors and deeper investigation to the islands history simply brings more questions to the surface. Ghosts, smoke elementals, an abandoned science initiative and a string of numbers which hold the key to understanding the universe; the world of Lost slowly gets more and more bizarre.

It's even more bizarre then that Ubisoft has decided to make a game based on the series, as the episode structure doesn't immediately lend itself to a game format. A substantial amount of each episode is spent in flashbacks which reveal more about the history of each character and how the fate of the survivors are entwined.

Understandably then, fans of the series have been dubious of how the game will develop and Ubisoft finally decided to give a glimpse at how the game is shaping up by showing a trailer at Comic Con '07.

The trailer is as vague and mysterious as you'd expect, but it's easy to make out that the game will see players taking over a new character who must try and explore new and old sections of the island. Locations featured in the trailer include the beach and the Swan Station, as well as substantial amounts of jungle. The Smoke Monster is also confirmed to be in the game, as are characters such as Locke and Sawyer who can be seen in the trailer.

It's hard to judge how the gameplay is going to shape up, but at a guess we'd say that it'll be a survival-action-adventure blend which sees players having to explore and solve puzzles whilst managing the needs of the character and coping with limited firepower. Seems the obvious way to go.

The series creators have been tight-lipped about the game and have not been heavily involved, but have approved the plot and monitored gameplay development. In a recent interview with the Official Lost Magazine, Damen Lindeloff only said that the game was; "From what I've seen? RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME!".

Check out the trailer below and leave your own comments in the forums.

DXR_13KE 27th July 2007, 16:01 Quote
that is what i call milking the cow.

and LOL at the phrase: "lost the game" as in sorry but i "lost the game".
yakyb 27th July 2007, 17:01 Quote
hmm looks a lot like farcry to me is it based on the cryengine?
devdevil85 27th July 2007, 17:04 Quote
graphics looked pretty good....idk about the gameplay, but the game looks enticing....to say the least....
CardJoe 27th July 2007, 17:41 Quote
To be honest, I thought the graphics were pretty mediocre. Environments were good, models of sawyer and locke? awful.

maybe its just me though
Amon 27th July 2007, 17:47 Quote
The environments seemed good. Let's just hope they can bed explored freely without constraints. The lighting of the manual torch was a neat idea, instead of the usual Morrowind/Oblivion approach.
devdevil85 27th July 2007, 18:32 Quote
Originally Posted by CardJoe

maybe its just me though
You're probably right Joe, I'm watching this at work and the internet connection is pretty bad and the monitors are bad too so I'm probably just trying to make this look good. Once I get home and see this trailer in HD I'll probably be even more horrified. After seeing Crysis I'll probably throw-up.....
Bauul 28th July 2007, 09:43 Quote
I thought the main character looked like Jack, though I'm probably wrong, I gave up on Lost after season 1, it seemed to be adding mystery simply for the sake of it.

The game, on the other hand, could make for an extremely interesting adventure game, there's enough weirdness on the island to theoretically keep the game long and interesting, and if everyone hadn't already seen it on the TV, the plot to the series could have made for an aewsome game in itself. What I'm worried about is how their going to tie this into the plot of the series, unless they just ignore aspects of that and make up their own Lost reality. I think it could be very good, but only if it's more Myst than Resident Evil.

As for the graphics, the pixel shading on the walls was nice, but the models did look awful, it was almost like some parts of the engine were 2007, others were 2001.