bit-gamer.net

Call of Duty 4 will do public beta

Call of Duty 4 will do public beta

Infinity Ward has announced Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare will see a public beta on Xbox Live only.

Call of Duty has been a staple of historic military action for a while now and developer, Infinity Ward, has put together some of the most amazing gaming moments in recent memory over the past three World War II games.

Obviously then, the move to a modern and contemporary setting has had a lot of series fans nervous, to say the least.

Inifinity Ward is confident about how Call of Duty 4 is shaping up though, even if everyone else is a little dubious and, as such, it's decided to put its money where its mouth is and has announced plans to release a public beta of the game on Xbox Live.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare will be the fourth game in the series and will be the first not to have a basis in a real-world conflict. Instead, the plot will center on Russian nationalists and terrorists who are trying to return Russia to a Soviet state, with locations including Pripyat in Russia.

The game will be told from multiple perspectives, including those of a British SAS operative, a Russian Spetsnaz, an American Marine and a Navy SEAL, the latter two of which will be stationed in the middle-east according to rumours.

Modern Warfare is also set to include a new 'realism mode', where chest, neck and head shots will prove immediately fatal and limb wounds will disable and cripple players. The multiplayer mode is also confirmed to have a class-based system similar to that used in Call of Duty 3.

As far as the public beta goes, details are a little thin on the ground still and developers suggest keeping an eye on the game's website for details as they emerge.

Are public betas a good idea, or do they just slow things down and prove fan-boy-full? Wish they'd do a public beta on PC or PlayStation 3 too? Let us know what you think in our forums.

20 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
DougEdey 11th July 2007, 12:17 Quote
YAY! Happy days Oooooh Happy Days!
will. 11th July 2007, 12:35 Quote
:D

That's good. I'm sure they do help with a game's development and most people are clever enough to just ignore the fanboy's with their silly comments.
DXR_13KE 11th July 2007, 12:47 Quote
IF it comes to PC..... like what happened to COD3
SPQQKY 11th July 2007, 14:11 Quote
Yeah, I'm not excited at all here. I play games soley on the PC and when COD3 didn't go to the PC, I was EXTREMELY disappointed. COD and COD2 were my favorite games. I love WWII games, so no PC version, no love from me.
AcidJiles 11th July 2007, 17:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQQKY
Yeah, I'm not excited at all here. I play games soley on the PC and when COD3 didn't go to the PC, I was EXTREMELY disappointed. COD and COD2 were my favorite games. I love WWII games, so no PC version, no love from me.

only the beta is on the xbox 360. cod 4 is made by infinity ward who didnt do cod 3. this will just mean a better console multiplayer experience but IW know how to make a good PC shooter and they will with this. Its a PC -> to the consoles not the other war round :)
Amon 11th July 2007, 17:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQQKY
Yeah, I'm not excited at all here. I play games soley on the PC and when COD3 didn't go to the PC, I was EXTREMELY disappointed. COD and COD2 were my favorite games. I love WWII games, so no PC version, no love from me.
QFT sieg heil!

Likewise, when Ghost Recon went console-exclusive with the second installment, I just hated every sequel thereafter--was VERY pissed off.
CardJoe 11th July 2007, 17:54 Quote
GRAW 2 will be on the PC. In fact, it'll be entirely different and re-balanced compared to the console version.
Mankz 11th July 2007, 17:59 Quote
Why is everything being BETA tested on the 360? Whats wrong with a computer ??
wi_kru 11th July 2007, 18:01 Quote
Why? WHY? WHY? ::( is Call of Duty 4 not coming to PC??? This makes no sense, can anyone enlighten me?
Amon 11th July 2007, 18:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
GRAW 2 will be on the PC. In fact, it'll be entirely different and re-balanced compared to the console version.
I was referring to the 2004 title, Ghost Recon 2. I absolutely hate every GR installment after that.
mattthegamer463 11th July 2007, 18:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz.
Why is everything being BETA tested on the 360? Whats wrong with a computer ??

They just want to make sure that the game isn't too tough for our gamepad using cousins. I expect they will release the beta for PC as well, its not like theres really any extra work that needs to be done. They may not have the server capacity to run for two different systems, hopefully things will work out.

I hope this game knocks BF2 off its high horse, although the new Battlefield game looks 100 times better than this one.

Hopefully Activision/whoever-dev won't jerk us PC gamers around with crap like they did with COD3. Not releasing that game for PC was a total insult to COD fanboys.
Henk 11th July 2007, 18:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Martin
...trying to return Russia to a Soviet state, with locations including Pripyat in Russia.
Last time I checked, it was in the Ukraine :)

OT: I sure hope it's not console exclusive
CardJoe 11th July 2007, 19:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz.
Why is everything being BETA tested on the 360? Whats wrong with a computer ??

The same reason I can't get PC preview code from some companies - security. The developers simply don't want people ripping parts of the game apart and modding it etc. They want you to pay for it first.
Aankhen 11th July 2007, 22:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wi_kru
Why? WHY? WHY? ::( is Call of Duty 4 not coming to PC??? This makes no sense, can anyone enlighten me?
Why? WHY? WHY? :( do people not read earlier posts or do a teensy bit of research? :p
pillow 11th July 2007, 23:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidJiles
cod 4 is made by infinity ward who didnt do cod 3. this will just mean a better console multiplayer experience but IW know how to make a good PC shooter and they will with this. Its a PC -> to the consoles not the other war round :)
the company that made COD 3 also made big red one and the other cod for console. In a review of COD 4, the guy said that the publishers have the .exe as COD 3. I wish that they would do something liek this for PC, because this game should be a PC game only. Console should be lucky that they get it.
DarkLord7854 12th July 2007, 01:56 Quote
Man I'm so tired of these "console-only" titles -.-
pillow 12th July 2007, 02:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7854
Man I'm so tired of these "console-only" titles -.-
yea
shits gay
DougEdey 12th July 2007, 07:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow
the company that made COD 3 also made big red one and the other cod for console. In a review of COD 4, the guy said that the publishers have the .exe as COD 3. I wish that they would do something liek this for PC,because this game should be a PC game only. Console should be lucky that they get it.

Erm, how can it be reviewed if it's not even out yet? And what "guy" are you talking about? Your mate on the inside? The crazy man on the corner asking for change?

Why should "console should be lucky that they get it"? Consoles make one hell of a lot more money for developers because they don't have to implement more anti-piracy measures.

Look here, you'll see that only one PC game has sold over 10million copies whereas lots of Console games have easily beaten that.

Why? Because the majority of the world don't have enough money to spend £1500 on a brand new top of the range PC to build themselves, they especially don't have £4000 to buy a prebuilt one.

The do have £300 to buy a new console and a couple of games.
pillow 12th July 2007, 14:47 Quote
not a review but a preview of the game in one of the pc gamer magazines, you know what the hell i meant. Is it not obvious that fps games are much better on pc and so they should come out on pc first and not second? and u can make ps2, xbox, 360 games if u have the right software.
krazedkaoz 19th September 2007, 19:23 Quote
Quote:

Why? Because the majority of the world don't have enough money to spend £1500 on a brand new top of the range PC to build themselves, they especially don't have £4000 to buy a prebuilt one.

Funny I can find a decent prebuilt pc for 500 and buy an geforce 8800 for around 200. May not be top of the line but it beats any console.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums