Auto Assault terminates on August 31st

Auto Assault terminates on August 31st

Has the ever growing World of Warcraft community eradicated another of its species, slowly eroding any sort of diversity in the MMO market?

Yesterday saw the poignant announcement of the termination for all Auto Assault operations on the 31st of August.

The innovative car combat MMO from developer NetDevil and publisher NCSoft was a breath of fresh air to the saturated World of Warcraft copies in the MMO market. It was met with relatively good praise from reviewers and gamers alike; however, after a year of slow decline it unfortunately did not meet sales or subscribers’ expectations.

“Today NCsoft is announcing that it will be closing down service for Auto Assault at the end of the summer. The service will close at midnight on August 31, 2007. As of today, any player currently in the service with an active billed account will not be billed again. If players have previously purchased time via multi-month billing or time cards that extends their service past July 31, NCsoft will reconcile these accounts appropriately. There will be more announcements coming soon regarding the shut down of Auto Assault and its impact on current accounts.”

Auto Assault looked to be slowly subsiding in sales and with desperate attempts to snatch back its depleting community from the jaws of World of Warcraft and various other MMOs. The developers introduced schemes such as a ‘14 day free trial’ and ‘refer a friend benefits’, but it all seemed futile in restoring the MMO back to its previous glory.

So what's left to say apart from 'another MMO bites the dust'?

Will you be affected? Are you glad to see Auto Assault vanish from the gaming community or do you want a good rant about MMOs? Let us know in our forums.

knowyourenemy 3rd July 2007, 15:14 Quote
Now I have never looked into what happens when an MMO shuts down, but are private server files ever released?
Jamie 3rd July 2007, 15:22 Quote
I played the beta for a bit and it really didn't have the appeal of something like WoW or EVE.

Must have been pretty dead in game.
Amon 3rd July 2007, 15:25 Quote
I loved the idea and game concept--definitely a much-needed departure from the norm. Too bad it never really clicked with the Lord of the Rings audience like WoW did at the peak of the films' popularity.
Bladestorm 3rd July 2007, 16:22 Quote
It always surprised me that developers who could make something as solid, engaging and original(in gameplay anyway) as jumpgate, could go on to make something as boring, bland and generic as auto assault, here's hoping they get the old magic back with jumpgate 2 :)
Tyinsar 3rd July 2007, 16:31 Quote
As long as they keep the current Guild Wars running I'm happy (I don't need or want GW2 or even GW:EN - I'm almost done two of the three campaigns but I still want at least a year or more for those two and the third one.)
yakyb 3rd July 2007, 16:34 Quote
with the amount of time i spent on WoW i vowed never to play an MMO again so this is of little significance really

Sad for the developers tho
BioSniper 3rd July 2007, 17:35 Quote
That's a bit of a shame tbh. I quite enjoyed it in the time I played it though too many people I knew were sceptical and as such refused to play.
I still have an un-used collectors edition here and everything.
DriftCarl 3rd July 2007, 20:56 Quote
I didnt like beta at all. It seemed really cheap and gameplay didnt really seem smooth, it felt like stunt race FX on the SNES
DXR_13KE 3rd July 2007, 23:20 Quote
never heard of it...... i think.....
Jokkocze 3rd July 2007, 23:23 Quote
I really hope that they'll release the server software.. It's ok, but I dont want to pay for it.
K.I.T.T. 4th July 2007, 07:53 Quote
i hope the release the server software too because i beta tested it and i thought it was a really good game and it was an MMO that i'd actually play (i've vowed never to play WoW)...its a shame to hear that its being forced out by WoW
Artanix 4th July 2007, 08:52 Quote
Pretty sad really, but it was coming.

I played the game about a year after it released, and it had 3 servers, and at peak times you'd have about 100 people playing tops. Looks like the last patch was a last ditch attempt to get players. Shame really, but it would be awesome if they released the software, at least some people would be able to enjoy their work.
p3n 4th July 2007, 08:56 Quote
As a serious wow player (shameless plug http://www.celebrityguild.com/) I cant understand what attracts so many people who play a very different game to me, I would imagine games like AA would be better suited to a 'casual' player - blizzard definitely seem to have the recipe for addiction :)
Bladestorm 4th July 2007, 18:37 Quote
At least in beta and around launch, AA's gameplay had pretty linear character progression, with the cooler (although almost all 4-wheeled standard type vehicles) set up at sparse intervals as carrots on sticks, with the progress to said actually somewhat cool vehicles being via grinding through missions that were nothing special or just plain boring (and often painfull/painfully slow) grinding when you ran out of missions now and then, It didn't really attempt to do anything special, revolutionary or amazing outside of putting wheels on the player avatars. It was sort of painfull during beta to see them adding in new blander vehicles as the earlier ones and moving the truly nice/different ones further up in levels, that and when they switched from giving players a choice of vehicle type to just making them a linear progression. But I guess they had to fill out the higher levels of grinding somehow.

What surprises me however is that it failed so completely - I've lost count of the number of MMO's that were average at best but still attracted loyal fanbases of players who'd never tried other MMO's (or only other poorer ones) it was almost as if they didn't even try.