Futuremark adds Sky Diver test to 3DMark

Futuremark adds Sky Diver test to 3DMark

Futuremark has released Sky Diver, a new addition to the 3DMark benchmarking suite which targets mid-range and low-power gaming hardware.

Benchmarking giant Futuremark has released its latest offering, a DirectX 11 test called 3DMark Sky Diver and designed with gaming laptops and mid-range systems in mind.

Available as a free update to all 3DMark users across all editions of the benchmark suite, Sky Diver is designed as a lighter-weight alternative to the company's existing Fire Strike gaming test. 'Fire Strike is equivalent to testing a system with a modern DirectX 11 game on ultra-high settings,' the company explained in its announcement on the release, '[while] Sky Diver is more like running a game on normal settings.'

Sky Diver includes a rolling demo, two graphics tests, a physics test and a combined test. The first of the GPU-based graphics tests concentrates on tessellation performance and uses a forward lighting method, while the second test looks at pixel processing using a compute shader-based deferred tiled lighting approach. The physics test, meanwhile, is designed to put pressure on the system's CPU, while the combined test targets both.

For those running Nvidia hardware in their rigs, however, there's a caveat: 'While testing the 3DMark Sky Diver benchmark, Nvidia discovered an issue where some of their GPU configurations would render a black screen during benchmarking,' the graphics giant has warned of the new benchmark. 'Nvidia has since solved the issue for these configurations and will be including the fix with their next driver instalment coming early next week.' Those eager to get started can install the 335.23 WHQL driver to receive an early fix, the company has claimed.

The demo, sponsored by Asus, is reproduced below, while the Sky Diver benchmark itself can be downloaded from the official website as part of the 3DMark suite.

damien c 12th June 2014, 13:02 Quote
Already ran it, scored just over 41k but as my drivers are not valid the result is not valid.

Also it only uses my 2 GPU's to 60% and 40% on the final test which is dropping the score.
Harlequin 12th June 2014, 13:03 Quote
they said theres a driver issue - is your cpu at 100% for final test though?
damien c 12th June 2014, 13:05 Quote
Originally Posted by Harlequin
they said theres a driver issue - is your cpu at 100% for final test though?

Not checked that to be honest but I am happy with the 41K, only ran it to see what it was like not really to interested in trying for top scores.

Maybe if I had enough cash lying around to go and buy new cards and cpu's then I would push my hardware abit more or mess with the bios on the cards.
Jimbob 12th June 2014, 13:37 Quote
I stopped using Futuremark as IMO it's become pointless. Since they started adding in things like PhysX the resultsare skewed heavily towards certain manufactures. It's also easy to fudge your scores.
Baz 12th June 2014, 13:48 Quote
Boob physics - lol
Spreadie 12th June 2014, 14:24 Quote
So, the chaps at Futuremark have been ODing on Jeb Corliss grinding the crack on Youtube?
Kovoet 12th June 2014, 15:56 Quote
Seriously though I think I need purchase it to see how my rig does. never used this before.
schmidtbag 12th June 2014, 16:00 Quote
me: psh I can skydive like that, hold my beer.
computer: psh I can render that, hold my SSD.

(no, neither of us can do that)
Dave Lister 12th June 2014, 20:24 Quote
9496, I thought my system would do better as it can play most newer games with decent settings but I guess my system is low-mid range these days :(