bit-tech.net

Lucky Reddit reader gets Bill Gates for Secret Santa

Lucky Reddit reader gets Bill Gates for Secret Santa

Bill Gates pictured with the gifts.

A lucky Reddit reader got quite the surprise recently when she opened her Reddit Secret Santa gift to find the items had come from the billionaire founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates.

The Secret Santa event saw Redditors sign up to exchange gifts with random other Redditors. It was known that Bill Gates had entered the event but of course to be the lucky giftee would be quite the surprise for anyone.

Redditor, NY1227 was the lucky lady on the receiving end of Gates' gifting, receiving a travel book, soft toy cow, a donation to a charity in her name, a signed card and a picture proving all of the above had come from "Bill."

Although no multi-million dollar cheque was also included - at least, not that NY1227 has admitted to - NY1227 was suitably overjoyed about Gates' generosity.

In a post on Reddit she tells of how "...it finally hit me. All the presents I just tore open, the charity, then everything-- was from Bill GATES. I quickly went back to the book to see a really nice message and note from Bill wishing me a Merry Christmas and a Happy Birthday"

She finishes with simply "10/10 would receive gift from Bill Gates again"

If you knew Bill Gates might be your Secret Santa what would you ask for?

20 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
andrew8200m 19th December 2013, 13:13 Quote
What would you ask for?

Windows XP...
IT Troll 19th December 2013, 13:49 Quote
A Start Menu.
Material 19th December 2013, 13:50 Quote
0.0001% of his wealth.
kenco_uk 19th December 2013, 13:59 Quote
I'd ask him if I could help in any way.
liratheal 19th December 2013, 14:47 Quote
Let's face it, It's Bill Gates. He does a lot of charity work. If you ask for something big for you you're probably going to get shot down, so I guess you'd have to ask for him to donate to a charity on your behalf.

Maybe a couple of signed copies of Windows from yesteryear. 3.1, Windows 2000, Windows XP.
cool_dude 19th December 2013, 14:55 Quote
"A lucky reddit reader" - why was she lucky?
azazel1024 19th December 2013, 15:28 Quote
A signed floppy of DOS 1.0
schmidtbag 19th December 2013, 15:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dude
"A lucky reddit reader" - why was she lucky?

True, she didn't get much from him. Makes me wonder what he got.


What's interesting about this is how well Bill played his cards. Think about it - anything else and people would have been like "what a cheapskate" or "wow, he really has nothing to spend his money on". If he just simply decided to give money to another charity, people either wouldn't notice it (because of how many he's done already) or people would say his priorities are wrong. But by letting someone else get the attention of deciding where the money goes, nobody has to point fingers at him.

But, I still don't like the guy.
enciem 19th December 2013, 15:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024
A signed floppy of DOS 1.0

A signed copy of a copy just to get on his nerves
supermonkey 19th December 2013, 17:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
True, she didn't get much from him. Makes me wonder what he got.


What's interesting about this is how well Bill played his cards. Think about it - anything else and people would have been like "what a cheapskate" or "wow, he really has nothing to spend his money on". If he just simply decided to give money to another charity, people either wouldn't notice it (because of how many he's done already) or people would say his priorities are wrong. But by letting someone else get the attention of deciding where the money goes, nobody has to point fingers at him.

But, I still don't like the guy.

I think you've seriously overanalyzed this. This isn't a case of Bill making some clever underhanded donation to charity by using the Reddit Secret Santa to mask his tracks. It's pretty simple, really. Bill Gates is well known for his charity work. For his secret Santa gift he made a donation in the girl's name, and it appears as though he's pretty open about what he did. He also sent her some books that he though she might enjoy. That's pretty much the end of the story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Let's face it, It's Bill Gates. He does a lot of charity work. If you ask for something big for you you're probably going to get shot down, so I guess you'd have to ask for him to donate to a charity on your behalf.

Interestingly, she apparently had an Apple iPad on her wishlist. She was very thankful for what she received, and she saw the humor in Bill Gates getting her name considering the particular device on her list. I don't believe she actually asked for the National Geographic book nor a donation in her name. That part was just Bill being awesome.
phuzz 19th December 2013, 17:36 Quote
As much of a dick as he was back in the day, I can't really have a problem with his behaviour these days, between giving half his money to charity, and only giving his kids enough money to get an education, so they still have to work for a living he seems like an ok bloke.
brave758 19th December 2013, 17:44 Quote
Great piece, made me smile
Spreadie 19th December 2013, 18:40 Quote
Take a look at the Gates Foundation website, and they work they are doing.

Yeah, he made a mint, but now he's using his money, power and influence to invest in projects promoting education, healthcare and agricultural advancement for under-developed countries (amongst other things) without pushing an agenda.

It's hard to dislike someone for that.
liratheal 19th December 2013, 20:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey
Interestingly, she apparently had an Apple iPad on her wishlist. She was very thankful for what she received, and she saw the humor in Bill Gates getting her name considering the particular device on her list. I don't believe she actually asked for the National Geographic book nor a donation in her name. That part was just Bill being awesome.

Oh, no that was in regards to the last line of the article more than what she got :p
Sloth 19th December 2013, 21:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dude
"A lucky reddit reader" - why was she lucky?
Do you see that plush cow? #madswag
Star*Dagger 20th December 2013, 22:40 Quote
Supplicant consciousness. We should tax him at 99.3% and then he would REALLY be helping people!
Tangster 20th December 2013, 22:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
Supplicant consciousness. We should tax him at 99.3% and then he would REALLY be helping people!

Because the US government are great at spending tax dollars responsibly...hahahaha. If they taxed all businesses and people at a 99.3% rate then it'd probably all go into kickbacks for themselves and their cronies. Isn't that how high level government spending works?
Sheiken 23rd December 2013, 10:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
Supplicant consciousness. We should tax him at 99.3% and then he would REALLY be helping people!

You can't be serious?
PlayLoud 24th December 2013, 16:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
Supplicant consciousness. We should tax him at 99.3% and then he would REALLY be helping people!

If you took 99.3% of his total fortune, it would only pay for about 1 month of our current deficit spending.
leexgx 25th December 2013, 19:00 Quote
Bill gates has all ways donated a lot of money
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Troll
A Start Menu.
:) I think less fragmented OS is better word(settings are a mess on win8), Windows 7 was not broken at all they had to was add Windows RT as optional feature(like app store on OSX is optional) not make 2 os's in one install , not sure if bill gates has any leeway any more
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums