Google Wave killed off

Google Wave killed off

Google has killed off Google Wave, the search giants real-time collaboration tool.

Google has officially killed off the Google Wave project, which was originally unveiled in June last year as a unified communication and collaboration platform.

Basically, that meant multiple users could work in real-time on a group of documents, making changes and updates in a style similar to Wiki editing, which Google called 'Waves'.

Despite huge internal excitement at the company though, Google has admitted that the project failed to really get off the ground and will not be developed any further.

"Google Wave set a high bar for what was possible in a web browser,” wrote Google's Senior VP of Operations, Urs Hölzle, in a blog post.

We were jazzed about Google Wave internally, even though we weren’t quite sure how users would respond to this radically different kind of communication,” he said.

But despite numerous loyal fans, Wave has not seen the user adoption we would have liked. We don’t plan to continue developing Wave as a stand-alone product.

Google will continue to support Wave until the end of the year and will enable current Wave users to migrate their projects to other platforms, to prevent content loss.

"We celebrate our failures," said Google's chief executive, Eric Chmidt in a tech conference according to The Telegraph. "This is a company where it is absolutely OK to try something that is very hard, have it not be successful, take the learning and apply it to something new."

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

DriftCarl 5th August 2010, 11:38 Quote
It is refreshing to see googles attempts at various projects and then canning it if it doesnt work.
Many other companies would push their projects to the brink and keep insisting that its "good".
I do hope google keep trying new things
void 5th August 2010, 11:41 Quote
This is surprising. Everyone, including Google was so positive about Wave.

Wonder what went wrong?
steveo_mcg 5th August 2010, 11:45 Quote
No bugger uses it!
Krikkit 5th August 2010, 12:00 Quote
I love google's attitude to projects - try it, if it doesn't work then no biggie. Might not be the best business model for others to follow, but with so much money sloshing around I suppose it doesn't matter to them at all.
specofdust 5th August 2010, 12:00 Quote
Exactly. In my case, I remember hearing about Wave, seeing videos on it long before it was released, and eventually getting access to it. I was so excited. Then I opened it up, and it crashed. And I opened it, and it crashed. What they were trying to do was clearly very complicated, but if you can't make the damn thing work then who's going to use it?
J05H11E 5th August 2010, 12:04 Quote
Never used it, I remember seeing all the hype about it, but it didn't interest me.
mikeuk2004 5th August 2010, 12:32 Quote
Never heard of it, did I miss anything?
Blademrk 5th August 2010, 13:29 Quote
Not really Mike, it was interesting as a tech demo but like others have said, no-one used it and most couldn't figure out a use for it.
rickysio 5th August 2010, 13:37 Quote
So now he's Eric Chmidt?

So where did Schmidt run off to?
PureSilver 5th August 2010, 13:39 Quote
I tried it, couldn't see practical advantages, and stopped using it. It sounds like everyone else did too...
CharlO 5th August 2010, 13:45 Quote
Oh! It was awesome to work in Projects for college... Guess they implemented most in GDocs nevertheless...
Bauul 5th August 2010, 13:48 Quote
It was a clever idea but I could never really see a situation where people would willingly use it. It seemed quite a steep learning curve to achieve something most people have never realised is a problem.
memeroot 5th August 2010, 14:20 Quote
a brilliant product sadly lost due to the stupidity of users :-(

google wave I'll miss you
paisa666 5th August 2010, 15:00 Quote
Skynet Google plans to take over the world get a litle tiny set back, we all can sleep without worries just one more night :)
DragunovHUN 5th August 2010, 15:30 Quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I didn't even get to try it :(
No wonder it wasn't adopted widely enough, i didn't even know it was public yet. Damnit.
SlickGnome 5th August 2010, 16:04 Quote
I liked the product, but for personal use it was rather useless. I was kind of looking for a release though to give it some feasibility testing at work.
Deadpunkdave 5th August 2010, 16:09 Quote
We live in an age where computers are used to do things we would do anyway, but faster, more precisely or in some way better or more conveniently. Creating a document by simultaneously having 5 people drawing on the same piece of paper is not an improvement on how a team actually functions, and there are far better electronic and physical ways of doing it which adhere to a structured methodology which everyone can easily learn, rather than being a free-for-all as wave was.
B1GBUD 5th August 2010, 17:43 Quote
So does this mean that email won't be re-invented?
smc8788 5th August 2010, 18:52 Quote
Originally Posted by B1GBUD
So does this mean that email won't be re-invented?

If no one else has seen the need to re-invent it in the last 20 or 30 years even with all the advances in technology and communications infrastructure, that's probably a sign that it doesn't need re-inventing. Google tried to combine e-mail, IM and social networking, but forgot that most people use them for different things, so their existence as separate forms of communication actually suits most people better.

The reason it failed is that most people are set in their ways (including me), which is understandable given how little e-mail has changed over the years, so when presented with this completely new idea we were all pretty confused by it. It didn't help that it had limited access at the start, either. While that did do a good job of building up hype, if you did actually want to talk to someone on Wave there was a good change that they didn't have an invite, so just left it and never returned.

It wasn't necessarily the implementation of the idea that was bad, I just think it was a bad idea to begin with, or perhaps more the timing of it. If Wave was around 10 years ago it'd probably still be around now.
yakyb 5th August 2010, 19:07 Quote
wave kind of reminded me of microsoft back in the early windows 95 days when microsfot first demonstrated the idea of an HTPC with streaming movies froma library the technology ws very cool but we just werent ready for it, 15 years on almost everybody uses there pc/laptop for iplayer / movies to some extent maybe some derivation of wave will be the same
outlawaol 5th August 2010, 19:11 Quote
Aye, they didn't do a lot of mainstream publicity of this thing. I remember hearing about it last year, and that was it. They launched, failed and are issuing statements about it already? Google failed at pushing this out to the public. Which is surprising considering their ad network. Does this perhaps mean that they where not that confident in it to begin with?

If anything the innovation of the program taught them things they didn't know before. It'll spur other fields of interest/development later on if anything.
liratheal 5th August 2010, 19:12 Quote
I'm not at all surprised.
ffjason 5th August 2010, 19:24 Quote
Wave was what e-mail should be like! I hope they integrate the features into gmail instead.

This is the technology of the future just left to waste away. I am for one sad to see it go, but will continue to use it with friends who do use the service.
delriogw 5th August 2010, 20:05 Quote
could it partly be the fact that you need an invite to such things.

a lot of people that might try these things they come up with never get a chance cos they don't know the right people
aLtikal 5th August 2010, 21:29 Quote
I used wave and watched the videos of it before it was used. It was amazing! It deffo deserved more coverage which google deffo didnt give it. Shame to see this :(
TheMusician 5th August 2010, 21:41 Quote
XD About time. Thanks though, to whoever gave me my invite way back.
wuyanxu 5th August 2010, 22:07 Quote
nooooooooo.

if it wasn't for google wave, i'd probably have failed 2 out of 3 of my project last year.

wave is so easy to use to put down quick thoughts, it saves commuting time of group members when writing group reports, use it to make minutes are effortless when everyone's contributing, and best of all, it will have a record of every edit.

looks like the only alternative now is Zenbe shareflow, a paid solution.
memeroot 5th August 2010, 22:43 Quote
how much would it have cost to keep supporting it?

I hate google today
Unicorn 5th August 2010, 23:06 Quote
Aww, I was sort of hoping that would take off. Oh well, no doubt Google will come back with something bigger and better in no time :)
Nature 6th August 2010, 00:44 Quote
Verizon, Google in Reported Deal for Tiered Internet Use

The internet and telecom giants Verizon and Google have reportedly reached an agreement to impose a tiered system for accessing the internet. The deal would enable Verizon to charge for quicker access to online content over wireless devices, a violation of the concept of net neutrality that calls for equal access to all services. The deal comes amidst closed-door meetings between the Federal Communications Commission and major telecom giants on crafting new regulations. In a statement, the media reform group Free Press criticized the Google-Verizon deal, saying, "The financial interests of Google appear to have finally trumped its belief in policies to preserve the open Internet...The Federal Communications Commission cannot stand by and allow the biggest market players to create two Internets."

-Democracy Now!
kingjohn 7th August 2010, 18:45 Quote
I-M-O goooglies doesnt want too own too much anyway because that will only hurt its profits , im sure goooglies just wants too advertize on sites owned by others as this will reduce goooooglies operational costs , the greedy capitalist money grabbing you-no-whats .