bit-tech.net

Scan and bit-tech team up

Scan and bit-tech team up

You can now get free delivery from Scan if you're a bit-tech forum member

Today sees the launch of a partnership between bit-tech and Scan Computers. We've worked with Scan for years on both the bit-tech and Custom PC side of things, with Scan supplying us early access to kit, and components for labs and features. Let's not forget their Dream PC either. Most of the team have ordered kit from Scan at one time or another, too.

This new partnership has been several months in the planning, and brings a selection of new benefits to you as a bit-tech reader. Firstly, free delivery! You need to be a registered user of our forums (that's free, of course), and have made 20 posts. Once that's done, make sure you're logged in to your account on Scan, and then click here to activate free delivery for your orders.

Note that the free shipping only applies to orders over £20 and only to the UK mainland. However, if you are outside the UK mainland, Scan will discount the standard shipping charge of £6.99 from the total carriage charge.

Secondly, we've launched a Scan partner forum. If you have questions about the products Scan sells then you can head over to the Scan forum to seek answers and advice directly from Scan.

Thirdly, we're now surfacing Scan prices in our hardware reviews, so when a Scan stocks a product that we review, you'll see a little link at the top: Preferred Partner Price. It's unobtrusive and useful - you can see it here on yesterday's review of the Asus Crosshair IV Formula.

Hopefully you'll get some good use out of these new features - let us know your thoughts in the forums.

97 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
memeroot 28th April 2010, 11:36 Quote
can you ask them to start positing to europe!!!!!!!!
Mankz 28th April 2010, 11:36 Quote
I've had free delivery since the last time scan partnered with Bit... mwhaha :D
Flibblebot 28th April 2010, 11:38 Quote
I was just going to say:

Scan partner with bit-tech...again.

Like Mankz, I don't think I've paid delivery with Scan since the last team up (which sounds surprisingly like the current team up) a couple of years back.
saspro 28th April 2010, 11:38 Quote
Yay, free delivery
Sifter3000 28th April 2010, 11:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot
I was just going to say:

Scan partner with bit-tech...again.

Like Mankz, I don't think I've paid delivery with Scan since the last team up (which sounds surprisingly like the current team up) a couple of years back.

Sure, but you've been our fans since forever. This new version of the offer opens it up to people who haven't been cool for all that long :p
Sifter3000 28th April 2010, 11:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by memeroot
can you ask them to start positing to europe!!!!!!!!

Ask it in the forums!
tripwired 28th April 2010, 11:42 Quote
Wow, nice, thanks bit-tech :)
steveo_mcg 28th April 2010, 11:43 Quote
Wow its two/three years ago....
jim48509 28th April 2010, 11:43 Quote
Damn.......... I have done all my hardware buying for the time being, most from Scan
and now the free delivery comes in.>:(
Jamie 28th April 2010, 11:47 Quote
Note that the prices in reviews is dynamic, it'll always contain the current price of the product at scan rather than the price at time of writing.
Xir 28th April 2010, 11:54 Quote
Hmmm, do they deliver to mainland europe?
(never mind the deliverycosts...hardware is for some reason, cheaper in Britain)
j_jay4 28th April 2010, 11:54 Quote
Am I the only one being cynical and thinking "I wonder what bit-tech is getting out of this deal"
wormy 28th April 2010, 11:57 Quote
Good news for me :) Well done Scan and bit-tech :)

Why be cynical? There's no obvious downside to us users...
badders 28th April 2010, 11:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Note that the prices in reviews is dynamic, it'll always contain the current price of the product at scan rather than the price at time of writing.

Ooh, Props for this Jamie!

Never bought from Scan - they've always been slightly more expensive for me, and I've always liked eBuyer's super saver delivery :)
capnPedro 28th April 2010, 12:04 Quote
Deja vu!
Quote:
Originally Posted by badders
Never bought from Scan - they've always been slightly more expensive for me, and I've always liked eBuyer's super saver delivery :)

I usually buy from eBuyer, too but Scan are worth checking now since eBuyer seem to be stocking less and less computer stuff and more and more crap like gym equipment, budget power tools etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Note that the prices in reviews is dynamic, it'll always contain the current price of the product at scan rather than the price at time of writing.

I hope reviews will still mention the price at time of writing when talking about the value for money. Especially with stuff like SSDs where prices tend to fluctuate upwards as well as (or more so than) downwards.
wuyanxu 28th April 2010, 12:05 Quote
welcome back Scan :)
smc8788 28th April 2010, 12:20 Quote
Nevermind, I'm an idiot.
iwog 28th April 2010, 12:25 Quote
again?
badders 28th April 2010, 12:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788
Nevermind, I'm an idiot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwog
again?

lols!
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro
I usually buy from eBuyer, too but Scan are worth checking now since eBuyer seem to be stocking less and less computer stuff and more and more crap like gym equipment, budget power tools etc.

I'll have a proper look then ;)
Dosvedagna 28th April 2010, 12:33 Quote
This rocks, free delivery woo! thanks bit tech
Paddy 28th April 2010, 12:37 Quote
Looks like I should start posting in the forum a bit more often now! I do buy a fair bit from Scan already and over time this will save a lot of money.
mr_ace 28th April 2010, 12:42 Quote
pffffffff mainland UK only... NORTHERN IRELAND IS PART OF THE UK BOOOOOOOOOOOO
battles_atlas 28th April 2010, 12:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormy
Good news for me :) Well done Scan and bit-tech :)

Why be cynical? There's no obvious downside to us users...

Why be cynical indeed. Its not like most professions that take themselves seriously have very strict rules about conflicts of interest. What possible conflict of interest could emerge from a mag that reviews hardware teaming up with a shop that stocks hardware? Why should other hardware companies entering the Dream PC competition have any fears that one other entrant is the judge's "Preferred Partner"?

The above paragraph utilises a sarcasm programme to convey meta-data.

I'm pretty gobsmacked that only one other post thinks this is crossing a line. I'd rather pay my own postage and have a magazine with opinions I felt I could trust.
barndoor101 28th April 2010, 13:04 Quote
woot!

thank you bit-tech
Flibblebot 28th April 2010, 13:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifter3000
Sure, but you've been our fans since forever. This new version of the offer opens it up to people who haven't been cool for all that long :p
Oh, you flatterer, you :o
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jay4
Am I the only one being cynical and thinking "I wonder what bit-tech is getting out of this deal"
bit-tech is, at the end of the day, a business so, yes, they probably are getting some revenue out of it - as will Scan. That's business.

What's more important, of course, is that we get free delivery whenever we order from Scan. What more do you want? :p
kosch 28th April 2010, 13:10 Quote
Woot thanks very much!! :)

Now if you can just do a delivery deal with Aria, Ebuyer & Overclockers.co.uk hehe :)
mull 28th April 2010, 13:21 Quote
Schweet. Itching to buy an SSD from them...
smc8788 28th April 2010, 13:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by battles_atlas
I'm pretty gobsmacked that only one other post thinks this is crossing a line. I'd rather pay my own postage and have a magazine with opinions I felt I could trust.

Yeah, because all the other sites which don't have a partnership with a retailer are completely trustworthy, and sly underhanded deals by manufacturers and retailers to get good reviews/exposure are completely unheard of in the world of journalism

/sarcasm

Don't be so naive, this is no different to Scan having a banner advert on the site or a page in the magazine (which they do, on the back page of every mag), just in this case they get a link to their site with every product review (I assume that's how it works anyway), where before it would often link to competitors' sites. At the end of the day, if you didn't trust the opinions of the writers in the first place why would you even read the site or buy the magazine?
cgthomas 28th April 2010, 13:27 Quote
Just in time for my new pc build.
Next day delivery free, woot scan ftw imo rofl, pretty 1337
Sifter3000 28th April 2010, 13:34 Quote
In terms of the business angle, just to clear it up:

1. Yes, this is a commercial deal between ourselves and Scan. Our content isn't free - we just don't charge you, the readers, to read it. It's funded by adverts and commercial deals such as this one.

2. The deal really is just as described in the news story. Scan gets a forum on bit-tech, offers our readers free postage and we place a text link to their site's price for a product at the top of the review.

3. The editorial team were part of the process of putting together this partnership - we get a lot of offers from a lot of retailers, and this was one we were happy with in terms of what it offered readers, and the company providing it. As I said in the news post, we do pretty much all order from Scan and I advise my family and friends to buy stuff from them, and Scan came out top in the reader survey.
cgthomas 28th April 2010, 13:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by battles_atlas
I'm pretty gobsmacked that only one other post thinks this is crossing a line. I'd rather pay my own postage and have a magazine with opinions I felt I could trust.

wow, did you seriously go this far?!
Chill out, it's just partnership so that both parties benefit from it.
It's not like Scan is a hardware manufacturer and the reviews will be subjective in their favor. You should've red better.

Some people like to make a problem of evrything these days!
Mankz 28th April 2010, 13:44 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifter3000
Sure, but you've been our fans since forever.

Im not that old :P
Shagbag 28th April 2010, 13:48 Quote
Anyone want to give me odds on who will win "best retailer" in the next Custom PC awards?
WildThing 28th April 2010, 13:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankz
I've had free delivery since the last time scan partnered with Bit... mwhaha :D

Yeah me too! :D
memeroot 28th April 2010, 14:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Europe postage please
j_jay4 28th April 2010, 14:06 Quote
A while ago I could swear that Custom PC were sponsored by ASUS as they always got the recommended buy stamp in reviews, they just produced boards that overclocked significantly higher than the others reviewed by Custom PC
cybergenics 28th April 2010, 14:17 Quote
I sort of remember that the Scan forums on the CPC / Old Dennis (the ones infested with complete twats like Marklar77 and Macfeasto and other deranged Apple loons) was being trolled by an idiot called PG2114 and a few others and it seemed in the end, the Scan boys just lost patience with it all and called PUFO.
cybergenics 28th April 2010, 14:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jay4
A while ago I could swear that Custom PC were sponsored by ASUS as they always got the recommended buy stamp in reviews, they just produced boards that overclocked significantly higher than the others reviewed by Custom PC

Unless you have tie up with business you won't go anywhere, just ask any politician.
dullonien 28th April 2010, 14:38 Quote
I always shop around to find the best price. Recentlybuilt a computer for my brother, comprising core i7 920, hd4870 etc, and Scan were the cheapest on just about everything I specced. Only things I got somewhere else were the case (Lancool k7, only found one place stocking it), and Monitor (Play had a rediculous deal on a 27" NEC).

Free delivery just makes things better!
erratum1 28th April 2010, 15:32 Quote
I already did this with avforums, but its good bit tech are doing it as bit tech and custom pc are my site and magazine of choice. For the noobs check out the 'today only' tab on scans homepage sometimes theirs some good deals.
bob 28th April 2010, 15:33 Quote
Scan's website is much better than ebuyers, now free delivery so no need for ebuyer now.

Cheers Scan/bit-tech!
mrdbristol 28th April 2010, 15:47 Quote
Nice one, just updated my Scan account

;)
Cyberpower-UK 28th April 2010, 15:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbag
Anyone want to give me odds on who will win "best retailer" in the next Custom PC awards?

I guess that's the Dream PC award sewn up for the next 3-5 years as well then!
Apocalypso 28th April 2010, 16:01 Quote
Good times.
Fizzban 28th April 2010, 16:13 Quote
Woo thanks! Scan is one of the sites I buy from, so this is just brilliant. ;) (scan account upgraded)
HandMadeAndroid 28th April 2010, 16:13 Quote
On the week Avatar is released as well; ironic
battles_atlas 28th April 2010, 16:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifter3000
In terms of the business angle, just to clear it up:

1. Yes, this is a commercial deal between ourselves and Scan. Our content isn't free - we just don't charge you, the readers, to read it. It's funded by adverts and commercial deals such as this one.
.

Hate to break it to you, but last time I checked you were taking money out of my account every quarter for the magazine. So you do bloody charge me to read it. I can live with subsiding other people to read it free on the net, but I'm rather concerned if a member of the BitTech/CPC team thinks that its the business' whose products you review that is paying for all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthomas
wow, did you seriously go this far?!
Chill out, it's just partnership so that both parties benefit from it.
It's not like Scan is a hardware manufacturer and the reviews will be subjective in their favor. You should've red better.

Some people like to make a problem of evrything these days!

Aside from lolz at 'you should've red better', Scan do manufacter systems which CPC review. As others point out, if I was another manufacturer entering the Dream PC contest, I'd be pretty concerned. In fact I probably wouldn't enter. Scan also sell some products and not others, and CPC review some products and not others. If you can't seen the possible conflict of interest, you should probably go read a book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788
Yeah, because all the other sites which don't have a partnership with a retailer are completely trustworthy, and sly underhanded deals by manufacturers and retailers to get good reviews/exposure are completely unheard of in the world of journalism

Great argument - because underhand dealing happens some times, I'm naive to believe there shouldn't be an overt economic partnership between a company and a mag which reviews that company's gear. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. I also believe the police shouldn't be sponsored by Asda Walmart, and politicians shouldn't be funded by arms manufacturers. What radical thoughts.
Quote:
Don't be so naive, this is no different to Scan having a banner advert on the site or a page in the magazine (which they do, on the back page of every mag), just in this case they get a link to their site with every product review (I assume that's how it works anyway), where before it would often link to competitors' sites. At the end of the day, if you didn't trust the opinions of the writers in the first place why would you even read the site or buy the magazine?

I'm well aware that money gets its grubby hands on everything, but I like to think that having a separate advertising dept to handle that side of things means the reviewers stay clean. Deals like this clearly cross that line - this isn't Scan buying a page to put their advert on, this is Scan buying into the content of the magazine itself.

Scan are a great company, and i'm a long time reader of CPC, I'd just rather they kept at arms length from one another.
bodkin 28th April 2010, 16:31 Quote
Woot, now I have free shipping at 2 retailers
mrbens 28th April 2010, 16:58 Quote
Nice to hear we get free delivery now. I could do with a new external hard drive in the next month or so.

I bought over half my stuff from Scan when I recently built my new PC.

I bought most of the liquid cooling components from a couple of specialist sites tho as Scan didn't have most of what I needed there.
isaac12345 28th April 2010, 17:11 Quote
Woohoo!! Thanks bit-tech. Although I really hope this doesn't bias your reviews for Scan products( like 3XS systems).
Seeks 28th April 2010, 17:16 Quote
could have done with this for free delivery a month ago :( oo well still good news
smc8788 28th April 2010, 17:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by battles_atlas
I'm rather concerned if a member of the BitTech/CPC team thinks that its the business' whose products you review that is paying for all of it.

What? Scan sell computer hardware, where else is more relevant for them to advertise? The fact is this site has an audience which is almost 100% made up of people who buy what they sell on a regular basis. It makes sense for Scan, since they get more customers through the reviews on bit-tech, it makes sense for bit-tech because they'll get some of that revenue, like they probably do from their (quite frankly useless) price comparison shopping page, and it makes sense for bit-tech member since we get free delivery.

I really don't see how you can think that having a simple link in a review is a conflict of interest. They've been doing it for years on this site, and have only ever linked to sites that they would recommend personally. Now, instead of linking to the cheapest place, they only link to Scan. How is having a link to the same site for every single product going to affect the impartiality of the review one way or the other? Are they going to say "give every product 10/10"? I don't think that's quite how it works on Hexus, which has even closer ties with Scan since they link to their reviews. What is comes down to is the fact that bit-tech is in the business of reviewing products. If they don't do that well, then people won't visit the site, and they won't make any money. Do you really think they're that stupid that they would jeapordise that?

As I'm typing this right now, I can see a large advert at the top of the page for MESH and AMD 6-core processors. This is on a site which has recently been accused of having a pro-Intel bias. I would say I'm quite happy with the impartiality of the content on this site and in the magazine thankyouverymuch.

Unfortunately, no matter how hard you try, you just can't please some people. Never has this been more evident than in the last week.

/rant
PegasusM 28th April 2010, 18:26 Quote
Thank you Bit-tech and Scan!
FelixTech 28th April 2010, 19:22 Quote
I don't know if the 'Price as reviewed' is going to be Scan only also. As far as I can see that is remaining the same as it was. Surely it's a good thing if you can check out an older review and see a currently competitive price for it. Even if it isn't the best price for that product, it should still be current and reasonable.
borandi 28th April 2010, 19:24 Quote
Note, basket must be £20 exc VAT.
cgthomas 28th April 2010, 19:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by battles_atlas
battles_atlas
It's not the freaking BBC. Get real mate, it's a bloody marketing and publishing company. That's what they do for the living. And who cares if Scan get retailer of the year or DreamPC of the year, they still deserve it in the end.

Have you seen last years entries? Or have you even done e-shopping recently? Otherwise you would have known Scan deserves every award they got.

It's not the end of the world; if you don't like it then you should probably troll somewhere else and cancel that Direct Debit.
I'd bet you do the same if you owned a publishing company. It's called business.

And by the way that 'you should've red better' part was posted with my iPhone so I don't give a rat's ass that there were spelling mistakes.
Sloth 28th April 2010, 19:56 Quote
Can't get the free shipping here, but I like the idea!

Just trying to help us by providing a link to a known good etailer with a reduced cost so we can enjoy our products with a little more ease.

I think talks are in order with Newegg now :p
PureSilver 28th April 2010, 20:00 Quote
Excellent, my favourite e-tailer and my favourite forum!
Teelzebub 28th April 2010, 20:05 Quote
Nice one going to be ordering some bits next week, Well handy!
Sifter3000 28th April 2010, 21:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by battles_atlas
Hate to break it to you, but last time I checked you were taking money out of my account every quarter for the magazine. So you do bloody charge me to read it. I can live with subsiding other people to read it free on the net, but I'm rather concerned if a member of the BitTech/CPC team thinks that its the business' whose products you review that is paying for all of it.

Sure, we do charge for the magazine, but the mag doesn't subsidize the site - bit is its own business, and this is a deal on bit-tech.
Quote:
Scan do manufacter systems which CPC review. As others point out, if I was another manufacturer entering the Dream PC contest, I'd be pretty concerned. In fact I probably wouldn't enter. Scan also sell some products and not others, and CPC review some products and not others. If you can't seen the possible conflict of interest, you should probably go read a book.

Reading the situation this way, yes, there is a possible conflict of interests - and to be honest, there's no real way I can *prove* to you that it won't affect things, other than to say, it won't: the Scan integration is optional for the editorial team, in that if the CMS picks up a price for a product Scan stocks, it appears at the top of the review. If Scan doesn't stock an item, no price is surfaced and we're under no compulsion to review items Scan stocks - in fact, it actually works a bit in reverse. Because bit-tech readers tend to like buying hardware, it's in Scan's interest to stock that kit, so often our editorial interests impact on Scan's catalogue, rather than vice versa.

I don't mind debating the business side of things, and I'm obviously keen to keep the readers informed about things. However, I would say, keep the tone of the thread civil.
Ph4ZeD 28th April 2010, 22:04 Quote
I can't see the issue here. Scan don't actually manufacture the hardware being reviewed, except for the odd PC such as Dream PC, and how many of those do they sell? Scan having a little partnership with Bit-Tech isn't going to change what products get what score at all. I would find it a lot more distasteful if an actual manufacturer which has big sway such as Asus/Gigabyte/nVidia entered into a deal with Bit-Tech, since they actually make the stuff in question, so there would be an obvious issue of bias with reviews. People have free will, if an item gets a good review, theres a multitude of places to buy them and check the prices if you want to buy it. The fact theres a little Scan forum where you can get free delivery doesn't change a whole lot.
cybergenics 28th April 2010, 22:16 Quote
Put it like this, if this tie up was with Overclockers, who treat anyone trying to return a product with all the contempt that Rose West would deserve, it would be controversial !

Scan run a pretty tight business, have had issues trying to return products with them in the past. But I think they improved since then. This was the days when their returns dept was a little office at the back of the showroom with a guy in it, who never smiled. His stock response to anyone trying to return a motherboard that was faulty was 'the pins are bent'.
SuicideNeil 28th April 2010, 22:18 Quote
Word^.

Assuming BT dont start lying about the specs & performance of PCs entered into any CPC contests by various companies, then I cant see it being a real issue- the testing methods and pricing are the two main factors, and you can check those things for yourself easily enough, just incase you want an unbiased opinion. Meh, dont care that much- free shipping is always a nice little perk for loyal readers :)
PureSilver 28th April 2010, 22:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD
I can't see the issue here. Scan don't actually manufacture the hardware being reviewed, except for the odd PC such as Dream PC, and how many of those do they sell? [...] I would find it a lot more distasteful if an actual manufacturer which has big sway such as Asus/Gigabyte/nVidia entered into a deal with Bit-Tech, since they actually make the stuff in question, so there would be an obvious issue of bias with reviews. People have free will, if an item gets a good review, theres a multitude of places to buy them and check the prices if you want to buy it. The fact theres a little Scan forum where you can get free delivery doesn't change a whole lot.

QFT.

Scan don't make any of this stuff, they're just trying to sell it to us. If you can accept that as a necessary part of business, this is a screaming deal. Scan stock from all sides of the major PC component factions - nVIDIA, ATi, Intel, AMD etc ad nauseam - so there's nothing for them to influence BiT to write. What's the point of getting BiT to say "Product X is better than Y" if it isn't, when they stock Product Y too? All Scan are offering is the means to buy from them. Since there are ten billion retailers online, a price comparison is only a click away. In addition, since most of BiT's forumites are relatively well informed, I can't see anyone clicking the links in "What Hardware?" and assuming that Scan is the sole vendor of the product...
PaulGreyhead 28th April 2010, 22:58 Quote
With this deal Scan now have access to more potential customers; probably thousands more. Most articles will start pointing to Scan as a retailer and recommending them to readers.
This might be good business for Scan and bit-tech, but I think bit-tech's reputation will suffer from this partnership.
CPC mag already suffers from 'Scan syndrome' and will probably just get worse from now on.
I wonder when my subscription is due to end...
cybergenics 28th April 2010, 23:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureSilver
QFT.

Scan don't make any of this stuff, they're just trying to sell it to us. If you can accept that as a necessary part of business, this is a screaming deal. Scan stock from all sides of the major PC component factions - nVIDIA, ATi, Intel, AMD etc ad nauseam - so there's nothing for them to influence BiT to write. What's the point of getting BiT to say "Product X is better than Y" if it isn't, when they stock Product Y too? All Scan are offering is the means to buy from them. Since there are ten billion retailers online, a price comparison is only a click away. In addition, since most of BiT's forumites are relatively well informed, I can't see anyone clicking the links in "What Hardware?" and assuming that Scan is the sole vendor of the product...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGreyhead
With this deal Scan now have access to more potential customers; probably thousands more. Most articles will start pointing to Scan as a retailer and recommending them to readers.
This might be good business for Scan and bit-tech, but I think bit-tech's reputation will suffer from this partnership.
CPC mag already suffers from 'Scan syndrome' and will probably just get worse from now on.
I wonder when my subscription is due to end...


There is incentive for any site with a tie up to a retailer to push certain products. Those products being the ones that bring in higher profit margins for the retailer. Not suggesting that this is or will be the case, but that is how some partnerships pad out.

For example, I used to frequent a Hifi Forum that had strong tie ups with a chain of Hifi retailers. I knew the manager of one of the stores, and he told me without any affectation, the reason that the mag always pimped brand X of speakers was because they were the highest profit margin of all the speakers the shop sold. They certainly were not necessarily the best, but they usually received accolades come review time and in the 'What to Buy' section.

All that happened in the long run is the magazine lost credibility, and readership. People aren't stupid, they see the commercialism in there and it puts them off long term.

A partnership of a magazine / website and a retail outlet or brand is for one purpose only. To increase profit. PC parts retailers aren't interested in selling you an AMD or Intel CPU, they are interested in which one makes them the most money.

There are also two types of company tie ins. Obvious sponsorship, like Coronation St, and Cadbury's, or the sort where you go into your favourite newsagent and pick up the magazine you feel should be an impartial guide to customising PC's and offering great hardware advice and find that it is little more than the literary marketing arm of a PC parts retailer which costs money to read.

All I would add to this little tale, is that CPC are lucky that the only other viable PC magazine, as in, readily available in the UK, PCF is complete tosh. If they had any real competition, I expect the magazine would be less focussed on promoting retailers and more in providing the maximum information value.
Sloth 28th April 2010, 23:26 Quote
Just reading PureSilver's post and PaulGreyHead's post, then thinking about my own joke of making a deal with Newegg it crossed my mind that I couldn't really grasp why it's a problem to provide a link to a certain etailer on reviews. Assuming the reviews are unbaised and this is simply a link to Scan's product listing in addition to the "UK Price as Reviewed", what's the matter? This actually helps give readers more etailer options since the current price link is often from a non-Scan site.

Also, please don't take this as a complaint, just an observation, there's a huge variety of UK etailers out there and a large number of them are used for current price links. Now look at the links for the "US Price as Reviewed" and get ready to see a lot of Newegg. It's pretty much the etailer for North America, should Bit not get flak for always using them as well? Just seems a little odd to cry monopoly without looking at that.
cybergenics 28th April 2010, 23:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
Just reading PureSilver's post and PaulGreyHead's post, then thinking about my own joke of making a deal with Newegg it crossed my mind that I couldn't really grasp why it's a problem to provide a link to a certain etailer on reviews. Assuming the reviews are unbaised and this is simply a link to Scan's product listing in addition to the "UK Price as Reviewed", what's the matter? Please don't take this as a complaint, just an observation, there's a huge variety of UK etailers out there and a large number of them are used for current price links. Now look at the links for the "US Price as Reviewed" and get ready to see a lot of Newegg. It's pretty much the etailer for North America, should Bit not get flak for always using them as well?

Let's break it down. Site A produces review results for certain products, contrary to site B, C and D, and in this case, sites F, G, H, J, K, L, M. N...ok you get the picture. Site A has a tie up with a retailer X who gets preferential stock availablity, lower purchase price of stock and therefore maximum profits on certain product brands / lines.

Therefore it is in the interest of Site A, to promote retailer X.

Not that I would suggest anything like that is occuring here. Its just a theoretical situation, but it explains the mechanism. I'd like to call it 'WHAT*HIFI' syndrome.
Teelzebub 28th April 2010, 23:51 Quote
I just dont see the problem.
I think most people are like me and buy what they want to buy regardless of any review.
We are old enough to make our own minds up.
I dont just read one review and go with whatever it say's.
What can I say free postage yes please!
cybergenics 28th April 2010, 23:54 Quote
There is no 'problem' except that some people don't like it, the rest either don't care or don't realise. I don't see paper magazines having much longevity now the internet has evolved, or rather much profitability, so as long as the industry tie up exist, as long as they are 'free' (as this site is) that's fine.
hardtailstar 29th April 2010, 00:39 Quote
woohooo im going to start posting more as i use scan almost every month :)
FreQ 29th April 2010, 02:57 Quote
I use a different email address for buying things and registering on forums. This apparently is a problem.

Anyone know what to do? Looks like I have a valid Bit Tech account and a valid Scan account but can't take up the offer just because I use 2 different e-mail addresses... :(
SuicideNeil 29th April 2010, 03:10 Quote
@ FreQ- Open a new scan account with the same email as your bit tech one; scan dont care about what email you use- it just has to match your bit tech account. I can see an issue with your payment details and address being in two scan accounts, but Im sure they allow for multiple adresses or card details ( use work address for delivery & pay with a different card or paypal for example ) - try adding the same details to the new account and see if it flags up and issue...
smc8788 29th April 2010, 09:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideNeil
@ FreQ- Open a new scan account with the same email as your bit tech one

You don't even need to do that - just go into your Scan account, change your e-mail address so it's the same as your bit-tech account, register it for free delivery, then change it back afterwards. The free delivery is still linked to your Scan account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtailstar
woohooo im going to start posting more as i use scan almost every month :)

Why would you need to post more? You're already eligible since you have more than 20 posts,,,
humdrumian_monkey 29th April 2010, 11:20 Quote
Great news! Scan offer good prices and service!!!!
Shagbag 29th April 2010, 11:38 Quote
I must admit I'm quite surprised by some of the strong reactions to this. CustomPC magazine is owned by Dennis Publishing. Dennis Publishing is a business. CustomPC magazine costs a not insignificant amount of cash to produce month on month and advertising revenues are a key source of the magazine's profitability. Ownership constraints demand that major advertisers receive favourable editorial treatment or, at least, no unfavourable treatment. Scan is THE biggest advertiser in CustomPC so it should come as no surprise to see their name referred to throughout the magazine and in its awards. This is not a criticism, it is just a reality.

Now that Dennis Publishing owns Bit-Tech.net I don't see what is so surprising about Scan's involvement. Advertising defrays the costs of running a website resulting in increased profitability for the Dennis Publishing group. It's simple economics and I can't believe, for one minute, that ANYONE but the most naive believes the reviews in CustomPC are without bias. Impartiality in print media is uneconomic.
G0UDG 29th April 2010, 17:17 Quote
Nice one guys as I buy all my pc components from scan uk the discount will be greatly appreciated,love the magazine BTW I bought the Enermax revolution 85+ 1250w psu on the back of your review its brill and will be perfect for my new build pc just got the 6 core 980x just waiting for the corsair ram, motherboard and your review of the new advanced media format hdd's don't want to go down the ssd road because of The trim and firmware issues.
Sloth 29th April 2010, 17:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergenics
Let's break it down. Site A produces review results for certain products, contrary to site B, C and D, and in this case, sites F, G, H, J, K, L, M. N...ok you get the picture. Site A has a tie up with a retailer X who gets preferential stock availablity, lower purchase price of stock and therefore maximum profits on certain product brands / lines.

Therefore it is in the interest of Site A, to promote retailer X.

Not that I would suggest anything like that is occuring here. Its just a theoretical situation, but it explains the mechanism. I'd like to call it 'WHAT*HIFI' syndrome.
My post specifically mentions that it is assuming Bit's reviews are unbiased. Under this assumption no review should be contrary to any other site, unless those sites are biased or there is an honest mistake in some site's review.

Now if we can please follow along, a link to Scan's pricing is some simple advertisement, nothing more than the wonderful flashy boxes littered around any website. It's also a little mutual advertisement for Bit-tech. As for review writing, it helps add more current pricing for people reading reviews from a decent amount of time in the past. It also adds an aspect of consistency. The Price as Reviewed being drawn from a random assortment of sites may lead to slight inconsistencies in price compared to the actual average price as the chosen site may either be abnormally low or high, always having Scan let's users a) have two etailers for reference and b) see prices in relation to Scan's normal pricing levels.
acsnet83 29th April 2010, 18:00 Quote
Wow cheers guys :)
ben_jt 29th April 2010, 19:57 Quote
Nice one, registered.

Always been happy with Scan's customer service.
Teelzebub 29th April 2010, 20:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreQ
I use a different email address for buying things and registering on forums. This apparently is a problem.

Anyone know what to do? Looks like I have a valid Bit Tech account and a valid Scan account but can't take up the offer just because I use 2 different e-mail addresses... :(

Cant you just change the email add you have registered with Bit-tech to the one you have with scan.
battles_atlas 29th April 2010, 20:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifter3000
Sure, we do charge for the magazine, but the mag doesn't subsidize the site - bit is its own business, and this is a deal on bit-tech.

If the mag and bit are both their own businesses, how come they share 90% of the same content? Alot of the material you publish on the site is written by journalists who are employed by the mag, and I presume paid, at least in part, by mag subscriptions like my own. So I'm sorry but its simply untrue to claim that the mag doesn't subsidise the site. Unless bit-tech buys the content from CPC. Which I doubt.

I'm not say that because of this deal you're all bent, not at all. And I have a lot of respect for the way Scan operates. What I'm trying to say is that I pay for access to CPCs journalists because I trust their judgment. That trust relies on me believing that there is a firewall between the reviewer and money that rests on their reviews.

I'd have question marks if a ref turned up to a Man U - Chelsea game wearing a 'Samsung' sponsored shirt. It just doesn't look good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthomas
It's not the freaking BBC. Get real mate, it's a bloody marketing and publishing company. That's what they do for the living.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbag
Now that Dennis Publishing owns Bit-Tech.net I don't see what is so surprising about Scan's involvement. Advertising defrays the costs of running a website resulting in increased profitability for the Dennis Publishing group. It's simple economics and I can't believe, for one minute, that ANYONE but the most naive believes the reviews in CustomPC are without bias. Impartiality in print media is uneconomic.

I can't figure out the rest of the public. They go apesh*t when they find out MPs were fiddling their expenses, but apparently its fine that a magazine that the public buys to get serious, impartial reviews from is actually biased towards certain manufacters (not my claim - Shagbags). Honestly, why bother?
FreQ 30th April 2010, 01:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788
You don't even need to do that - just go into your Scan account, change your e-mail address so it's the same as your bit-tech account, register it for free delivery, then change it back afterwards. The free delivery is still linked to your Scan account.

Perfect. Neil/SMC, thanks for the posts. Sorted now and free delivery activated! I was thinking about a new build as well....
retrogamer1990 30th April 2010, 06:43 Quote
whilst I will enjoy free delivery, I think I'll take Scan product reveiws with a pinch of salt in the future...
Ph4ZeD 30th April 2010, 10:50 Quote
All the screaming and whining does amuse me. I assume then that all the said people only get their news and information from the BBC, who do not have commercial concerns? And they don't read any newspapers, visit any websites, or speak to anyone who could have the tiny tiniest bit of bias? What a load of ****. Just suck it up and enjoy the free delivery.
Bayaz 4th May 2010, 16:29 Quote
Requiring 20 posts just encourages people to spam the forums in order to get the free delivery
Tattysnuc 17th May 2010, 19:45 Quote
Just to add, the £20 minimum is EX vat.

:(
Ficky Pucker 17th May 2010, 20:25 Quote
cool stuff
juststsomeguy26 19th May 2010, 19:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayaz
Requiring 20 posts just encourages people to spam the forums in order to get the free delivery

Yup, need a new mouse. Now I'm looking for 20 places to post innocuous comments.
Bayaz 20th May 2010, 18:53 Quote
I did the whole 20 posts thing and activated the free postage. I don't live in the UK so I only get £6.99 off the postage. I still thought this was a good deal but when I went to buy something I didn't get any discount. When I enquired as to why, I was told I would have to ring everytime I want to avail of the discounts.

Disappointed with the hidden catches :-(
mac007 20th May 2010, 20:44 Quote
Remember Hexus also doing a deal like this - 20 posts then you get free delivery - what a bargain.
Caspian Rho 20th August 2010, 14:34 Quote
Another BS UK mainland..... which coincidentally doesn't ****ing exist. UK is a political defination, UK mainland should be great britain (england, scotland, wales), britain is england and wales. So it's a complete consumer oversight to say UK mainland only. And what's more N.I. are Royal Mail and there is NO difference. My parcels from me to you in great britain cost me the same postage as you posting the same parcel internally, end of. And when something has to come the other way I'm hit with a £30 postal cost for something that should be £2.99 because i'm not inside the imaginery country of UK mainland........ I'm sick of getting screwed over by this non-existent UK mainland term!!! rant over!!:(
smc8788 20th August 2010, 15:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian Rho
My parcels from me to you in great britain cost me the same postage as you posting the same parcel internally, end of.

No, they don't. Scan use CityLink for delivery of ALL items, so while Royal Mail costs might be the same, courier costs most certainly aren't.
Caspian Rho 20th August 2010, 15:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspian Rho
My parcels from me to you in great britain cost me the same postage as you posting the same parcel internally, end of.

No, they don't. Scan use CityLink for delivery of ALL items, so while Royal Mail costs might be the same, courier costs most certainly aren't.

ok that maybe the case, but it's hardly 20 camels, small army to protect the convoy passsed unchartered lands. It'd be nice if companies like these would use a more reknowned carrier. Or we here are doomed to PCWorld best buys....... and you really wouldn't want that :D
Coach 22nd October 2010, 19:46 Quote
Best get started.

Do comments count as posts?
Fizzban 24th October 2010, 11:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach
Do comments count as posts?

Only if there is a point to the comments. All you need to do is share your opinion on a few topics and you will be done in no time at all.
kopkin 6th November 2011, 20:09 Quote
Hi

is this offer still active?

1st post for me!
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums