First Vintage Computer Festival hits Britain

First Vintage Computer Festival hits Britain

The Vintage Computer Festival - a staple of US and German techno-culture for the past ten years - is finally coming to the UK thanks to the National Museum of Computing.

If you're of the old-school of computing, the guys at the National Museum of Computing have just the thing for you: the first official Vintage Computer Festival in Britain.

As reported over on TechRadar, the festival - scheduled for the weekend of the 19th of June at the Museum's home in Bletchley Park, Milton Keynes - is a continuation of the regular tradition started a decade ago in Silicon Valley and marks the first time the festival has hit UK shores.

The event is set to feature demonstrations of vintage computing hardware - both culled from the Museum's own impressive collection and brought along by private exhibitors - a series of lectures on British contributions to computing throughout the years, stands with yesteryear's top-notch tradeshow traditionalists including Amiga, Atari, and Sir Clive's Sincliar, along with demonstrations of DEC's PDP11 mainframe, hands-on gaming and "vintage challenge" events, and even a flea market for people looking to expand or shrink their own individual collections.

The Museum has also promised performances by chip tune artist Pixelh8, aka Matthew Aplegate, who will be using original Sinclair Spectrum, Commodore 64, and even Nintendo GameBoy hardware for his particular brand of techno. Pixelh8 is to be joined by "one of the pioneers of British synthpop," although the Museum is keeping tight-lipped on exactly who that might be.

Museum trustee - and event coordinator - Kevin Murrell expects that the event will "exceed one thousand visitors" over its two days, "draw[ing] visitors from overseas as well as from across Britain." Murrell describes the early response to the as-yet minimally publicised festival as "already remarkable," and is hoping to gain interest from additional sponsors.

The Museum has an official page regarding the event, with more information planned for release closer to the date.

Will you be planning on attending the event, or are you very much about the here-and-now when it comes to computing? Do you have any memories about particular British computers of yore - something from Acorn, perhaps, or rivals Sinclair or Amstrad? Share your thoughts over in the forums.

scawp 28th January 2010, 12:20 Quote
I have 6 megadrives, do they count?
mi1ez 28th January 2010, 13:19 Quote
Man! This looks awesome! Pixelh8 FTW!
Evildead666 28th January 2010, 17:00 Quote
From the good old days ;)

My first computer was a Dragon32, then an Amstrad CPC6128, then Amiga500, then PC's took over lol...

Tempest is still a very good game and plays on just about anything...
-=ice=- 28th January 2010, 17:30 Quote
Yay, 19th of June is my birthday, perfect timing
SteveU 28th January 2010, 17:30 Quote
Lol, my first PC was an Amstrad 464 with a Green Screen!!!

I have fond memories of loading Harrier Attack on it's 'integrated' tape deck. It's about the only game I could ever get my dad to play due to it's ultra simple control.

Ah, those were the days!
Azayles 28th January 2010, 18:05 Quote
Originally Posted by SteveU
Lol, my first PC was an Amstrad 464 with a Green Screen!!!

Ah, those were the days!
I had that same computer, and the same game! Me and my brother used to love playing that once the game had loaded from the tape drive.
You kids now and your "hard disks" don't know you're born! lmao xD
barbary 28th January 2010, 19:48 Quote
Vic 20, CPC 6128 with green screen and then Amiga 500 which I still have in the loft. I also had the A520 add on which was (hold on to your socks) 2Mb of Ram and a 20Mb hard drive.

2Mb of ram is rediculous I mean what would you ever need that amount for.
SMIFFYDUDE 28th January 2010, 23:01 Quote
Many a C64 joystick was broken while running the 100 metres in Go for the Gold.

Emulators just don't give the same feel.
Farfalho 28th January 2010, 23:40 Quote
My first pc was a 286 Peacock branded pc. It was awesome to play Leisure Suit Larry, Cats and some other popular titles of the day, even Monkey Island! With the 3.5" floppy and the 5.25" floppy (mitsubishi one!), yellow and black were the colours. Omg that was some serious fun back then, a little kid =)
The games only took KB of space and that was huge!
thehippoz 28th January 2010, 23:46 Quote
leisure suit larry lol what about the original castle wolfinstein.. 5.25 inch floppies dual density and notching them with a exacto knife so you could use both sides
dire_wolf 29th January 2010, 00:59 Quote
Ohh interesting, that'll be me going then :D
phuzz 29th January 2010, 09:42 Quote
@barbary
2Mb? We had the A500 with the 512kb expansion, it was years before I could afford a computer with 2Mb of RAM. (eventually had an A1200 with an extra 8Mb for a grand total of 10 whole megabytes, and a faster CPU).
dire_wolf 29th January 2010, 12:30 Quote
I've still got an A1200 with a Blizzard PPU card w/ 128MB RAM. Dread to think what that cost new, it's still worth over ton on Amibay.
AshT 15th June 2010, 11:30 Quote
Bumped.

The event is this weekend (Sat & Sun). Worth popping along for a bit of nostalgia.