CPC/bit-tech folding team completes GPU countdown

CPC/bit-tech folding team completes GPU countdown

Sign up to the folding team today and help cure diseases caused by misfolding proteins.

This time last year the Custom PC/bit-tech folding team set itself the challenge of adding an additional 360 GPUs to our combined effort to contribute work to the distributed-computing project folding@home.

We're pleased to announce that, almost exactly a year to the day, we've met that target - so a big congratulations is in order for everyone who increased their contribution. Forum regular Nova was the last user to add to the countdown with the addition of two GeForce 8800 GTS - well done!

The team isn't standing still though - there are still plenty of proteins to be folded, so we've set ourselves a new goal - 750 more GPUs.

This number has been chosen as this is how many additional GPUs that the team will require to close the gap with the current number 1 team and move up from our current world ranking of 6.

To sign up your GPUs (or CPUs and PS3s, all are welcome) to the cause make sure to enter '35947' in the team name field of your folding clients, which you can download from Stanford University - the creators of folding@home. Once setup don't forget to add your new GPUs to the all new countdown thread.

Don't forget to say hello in the dedicated folding forum too.

mi1ez 30th November 2009, 12:30 Quote
Crikey! That's what I haven't installed since I went W7!

*facepalm*
javaman 30th November 2009, 12:55 Quote
looking at the stats and it looks like EVGA FTW will be the top team by the end of December next year. They're currently producing about 2,000,000 more than [H]ardOCP every week (About 1,285,000 compared to 951,000 daily). CustomPC/Bit-tech is just over 300,000 ppd off matching [H]ard themselves. current production rates will see CustomPC/Bit-tech be 5th overall by september and 4th in 9-10 years time lol. Gotta get my card producing again. It died once so I gave up folding but after it died the 2nd time possible due to a crappy cooler I'm feeling happy to produce again....plus it'll give me an excuse to upgrade sooner =)
Neophyte4Life 30th November 2009, 15:17 Quote
Originally Posted by mi1ez
Crikey! That's what I haven't installed since I went W7!

*facepalm*

Did the same thing. Just added my GTX 275 and will add my 8800 GTS at the end of the week after my new power supply gets in.
Mongoose132 30th November 2009, 15:58 Quote
Ahh, going to add my 4850 as soon as it arrive, doubt my current radeon 9600 will help much. :P
TWeaK 30th November 2009, 16:23 Quote
@Mongoose - you can't even fold with a 9600 it's so old! :P I remember my 9800 Pro though, that series was a gem.

I haven't been folding in a while - partly because my girlfriend doesn't want me to have my PC on all the time and also our leccy bill has been high. We've changed provider though and got a much better deal now though. I should look into installing a Win7 client, I can at least run it when I'm just browsing the net.
confusis 30th November 2009, 20:26 Quote
Woo! I will be adding f@h to all my PCs i build for folks so will add the gpus when they come online :)
bahgger 30th November 2009, 21:07 Quote
Adding my i7 920 and GTX275 now, hope they will help the team! :)
Jaguar_Infinity 30th November 2009, 22:53 Quote
I don't know how much help it will be but i figure if i'm using my pc during the day that having one of my 2 cores working on this is better than none. It may only be a few work units but every little helps right? My GPU wouldn't really be any help here though so stuck with a single 2.6Ghz core i'm afraid
Lizard 1st December 2009, 00:24 Quote
Yes indeed - every little helps - although you need to make sure that if you PC isn't on all the time that it does complete work units before their deadline (typically 3-4 days for the SMP CPU client).
Jipa 1st December 2009, 05:59 Quote