bit-tech.net

Nvidia prods Intel with satire site

Nvidia prods Intel with satire site

Intel's Insides - Nvidia's new satirical site - features cartoons poking fun at chip giant Intel, including this Clinton-themed image.

Nvidia is taking aim at chip giant Intel in a new battleground - satirical cartoons.

As reported over on ExtremeTech, the graphics specialist - who many believe is due to step on Intel's toes in the very near future with an x86 chip design of its own - has launched a new site called Intel's Insides which the company claims "is intended to be a parody of events occurring within the semiconductor sector, with particular focus on its largest, and most-commented-upon competitor."

The cartoons - which almost exclusively poke fun at Intel's president and chief executive officer Paul Otellini, point-blank accusing him of being complicit in the anti-competitive practices that the company is being sued for by the New York Attorney General - are done in the time-honoured political satire style by cartoonist Steven Lait. Images include a Godfather-style figure with a name plaque reading Otellini stating that "we'll make them a microprocessor offer they can't refuse," and a Moses figure delivering the "Law of Moore" from atop a mountain marked "IDF" to an empty wilderness.

Nvidia's corporate communications head, Bob Sherbin, claims that the site "attempts to have a bit of fun with what is quite a serious issue," and claims that while current cartoons concentrate on Intel and their alleged actions to block rival AMD from competing fairly as "the spotlight is on [Intel] regarding this issue, and so they are a very obvious target," other companies may find themselves immortalised in cartoon form in the future.

Is this a case of Nvidia being childish, or are the cartoons a funny way of keeping abreast of the industry's twists and turns? Share your thoughts over in the forums.

33 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
azrael- 6th November 2009, 11:17 Quote
I wrote about this here about an hour ago.

I can only call this a cheap shot by nVidia. Apparently the company hasn't anything else to offer these days.
smc8788 6th November 2009, 11:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael-
I wrote about this here about an hour ago.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=177713

Good for you, have a cookie... :p
javaman 6th November 2009, 11:20 Quote
lol, love this type of humour. Hope intel respond with something similar.
Sifter3000 6th November 2009, 11:25 Quote
If only it was actually funny.
Lizard 6th November 2009, 11:29 Quote
The only thing funny about this is watching the trouble people get into when they start throwing stones in glass houses.
smc8788 6th November 2009, 11:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifter3000
If only it was actually funny.

Exactly, if you're going to poke a lion you'd better be sure to at least to it with a very sharp stick, otherwise you'll just make a fool of yourself.

As it is it's so unprofessional it made me wonder whether the site was actually created by NVIDIA or some kid trying to stir up trouble.
D-Cyph3r 6th November 2009, 11:42 Quote
Pretty much sums up nvidia nowadays. Throwing smack talk and cheap shots about, calling everyone out while they continue to offer NOTHING new to consumers and cause other companies grief (stopping MSI from launching their Lucid based boards anyone?).

Their chipset busniess is all but dead (barring Ion) with their only "new" product being a renamed AMD chipset, they still haven't mentioned the words "fermi" and "gaming" in the same sentence, they have been accused of shady pracrices with developers to limit physX and other feautures for ATI users, they still think SLI is the 2nd coming ad want to charge silly money for the privilige and they won't be giving ATI any competition in DX11 hardware till Q1 next year at the earliest.

How they made a $100m profit in the last quarter is beyond me...
frontline 6th November 2009, 11:44 Quote
The cartoons seem more bitter than funny, even if the subject is worthy of humour...
Zippy 6th November 2009, 12:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Cyph3r
Pretty much sums up nvidia nowadays. Throwing smack talk and cheap shots about, calling everyone out while they continue to offer NOTHING new to consumers and cause other companies grief (stopping MSI from launching their Lucid based boards anyone?).

Do we actually know exactly why they stopped Lucid? You are implying that they do it for insidious reasons? Tech companies have their sole income from creating and acquiring IPs, would you be surprised that they are protecting their interests?
Quote:
Their chipset busniess is all but dead (barring Ion)

So it is not dead...?
Quote:

they have been accused of shady pracrices with developers to limit physX and other feautures for ATI users, they still think SLI is the 2nd coming ad want to charge silly money for the privilige and they won't be giving ATI any competition in DX11 hardware till Q1 next year at the earliest.

Exactly, accused. A lot of the tech companies get accusations flying around, its normal. It is all about protecting your own interests. Is it really a major concern that nVidia does not have DX11 until Q1? Right now there aren't a lot of DX11 applications... arriving around Q1 won't be late, only that nVidia were not able to brag about it this time. I think the question should be, "Will it be worth the wait?"

I am actually hoping Intel would join in the GPU competition soon, should make things interesting.
Quote:
How they made a $100m profit in the last quarter is beyond me...

It's simple, they are doing something right!
Nictron 6th November 2009, 13:30 Quote
I wonder if Nvidia should do this as they are almost guilty of the same thing. Especially how they now limit PhysX if AMD/ATi is present in the system and how they ensure that software PhysX is single threaded only and does not use multi-core systems.
amacieli 6th November 2009, 13:33 Quote
At least nVidia can be credited with trying to have a bit of a laugh about things going on, and taking life a little less seriously, unlike some of the hypercritical commenters in this thread.
V3ctor 6th November 2009, 14:28 Quote
So... nVidia is making funny jokes with Intel... And how about Intel making funny jokes on nVidia's recent "control"... of the Hydra chip on the MSI boards?
Paradigm Shifter 6th November 2009, 14:53 Quote
I get the impression that nVidia are trying the 'stick hand in hornet nest and rummage around' system of committing suicide.

Is Otellini known for his sense of humour?
robyholmes 6th November 2009, 14:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
The only thing funny about this is watching the trouble people get into when they start throwing stones in glass houses.

I live just down the road form Glasshouses, and you don't throw stones, or have a shower...
crazyceo 6th November 2009, 15:21 Quote
Is it just me or do the AMD fanboys scour websites looking for anything to do with AMD product competitors and then sprout nothing but absolute b0ll0ck$! Why don't you go and put that energy into AMD and drag it out of the financial gutter it still resides. Anyone remember paying $40 a share for AMD which is now worth less than $5 today? Ouch!
Phil Rhodes 6th November 2009, 15:30 Quote
Q1 next year?

Argh. I just told a friend of mine to hold off on a new build on the basis that NV were about to launch new stuff that'd change the market.

Was I wrong to do that?

P
alpaca 6th November 2009, 15:42 Quote
yes
crazyceo 6th November 2009, 16:18 Quote
No you weren't. Just hold off if you can then you will be in hardware/driver bliss with nvidia.
ssj12 6th November 2009, 18:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael-
I wrote about this here about an hour ago.

I can only call this a cheap shot by nVidia. Apparently the company hasn't anything else to offer these days.

They are hiring x86 engineers for processors. I figure they will be around for a while.
D-Cyph3r 6th November 2009, 18:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Is it just me or do the AMD fanboys scour websites looking for anything to do with AMD product competitors and then sprout nothing but absolute b0ll0ck$! Why don't you go and put that energy into AMD and drag it out of the financial gutter it still resides. Anyone remember paying $40 a share for AMD which is now worth less than $5 today? Ouch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
No you weren't. Just hold off if you can then you will be in hardware/driver bliss with nvidia.

A bit hypocritical to use the word fanboy dont you think? I've seen your other posts and all you've done is trash talk about AMD. Do you even know why AMD is in the "financial gutter" as you put it? Read on troll boy.
moshpit 6th November 2009, 18:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard
The only thing funny about this is watching the trouble people get into when they start throwing stones in glass houses.

My sentiments as well.
Star*Dagger 6th November 2009, 18:58 Quote
intel is a MNC (multinational corporation) that is NOT your friend, in ANY way. If you enjoy their products that is secondary to them, the only thing they care about is monopolizing the cpu market. Fanboys of Intel or AMD are like the people who vote against their own interests at the polls, programmed lemmings.
Your interaction with them has been with their advertising and brand recognition campaigns, wake up. they care about you not at all.

The EU has no problem taking Intel (and M$) to court over their violations of LAW. Stay tuned.

Yours in anti-Corporate Plasma,
Star*Dagger

P.S. I have an intel proc and an ATI gpu, though I wish I had more choices than intel/amd for cpus and nvidia/ati for gpus. Wake up!
ssj12 6th November 2009, 19:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
intel is a MNC (multinational corporation) that is NOT your friend, in ANY way. If you enjoy their products that is secondary to them, the only thing they care about is monopolizing the cpu market. Fanboys of Intel or AMD are like the people who vote against their own interests at the polls, programmed lemmings.
Your interaction with them has been with their advertising and brand recognition campaigns, wake up. they care about you not at all.

The EU has no problem taking Intel (and M$) to court over their violations of LAW. Stay tuned.

Yours in anti-Corporate Plasma,
Star*Dagger

P.S. I have an intel proc and an ATI gpu, though I wish I had more choices than intel/amd for cpus and nvidia/ati for gpus. Wake up!

well, i guess lets hope Nvidia starts making CPUs and Intel makes a decent non-integrated gpu then. One more company can't hurt the market.
TheUn4seen 6th November 2009, 19:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12


well, i guess lets hope Nvidia starts making CPUs and Intel makes a decent non-integrated gpu then. One more company can't hurt the market.

This won't make anything better - I can see nVidia GPUs working only with nVidia CPUs on nVidia boards, Intel's GPUs working only on Intel platform and so on. Or at least the most important features being locked unless you use the whole platform from the same manufacturer.
HourBeforeDawn 6th November 2009, 20:56 Quote
ha awesome, and they are funny just a higher level of funny, you know the kind that take some thought not todays lower then slapstick comedy. simply awesome.
TWeaK 6th November 2009, 21:38 Quote
I did actually find one of the cartoon's a little bit funny - namely the Larrabee one. Don't know if it will blow up in their faces, but I think the reason its release is being held back so much is because Intel thinks it might. Still, I have to agree with the majority that it sounds like Nvidia are just bitter about their competition's success these days.

@D-Cyph3r: crazyceo has always been anti-AMD even back on the old CPC site. As far as I'm concerned it's best to ignore him rather than try having an argument with a brick wall.
H2O 6th November 2009, 22:09 Quote
So, Nvidia, how well is the GT300 project going again?
ZERO <ibis> 6th November 2009, 23:09 Quote
I just want a dam 300m... I do not care if it is based on the 200series! Please just get that out this year I need a new laptop so I can watch your funny cartoons on it!
crazyceo 7th November 2009, 00:18 Quote
I see you haven't answered my question either.

Funny that isn't it how the AMD brigade wear such blinkers but poke fingers at people who question them.
Saivert 7th November 2009, 00:45 Quote
some fanboys have serious issues, some fanboys are just trolls. then you have fanboys who are really not fanboys but just side with one party at the moment.

I on the other hand don't care as long as I get cheap and good hardware.
thehippoz 7th November 2009, 17:06 Quote
I kinda like this site.. it's simple- dunno who wrote those jokes though, probably the ntune guy
dec 8th November 2009, 00:10 Quote
nvidia shouldnt talk. rebranding cards are unsafe relations with the computer industry
StevieC 8th November 2009, 02:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star*Dagger
I wish I had more choices than intel/amd for cpus

I understand Intel is genuinely afraid of the VIA Nano, and for good reason. ;)
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums