bit-tech.net

Google brings Chrome to IE

Google brings Chrome to IE

The new Chrome Frame plugin allows Internet Explorer to use Google Chrome's rendering and JavaScript engines - but Microsoft is concerned about security.

Google has launched a project to bring the benefits of its Chrome rendering and JavaScript engines to the benighted masses forced to use Internet Explorer - and Microsoft isn't happy.

The Internet Explorer plugin - dubbed Chrome Frame - allows IE to use Chrome's rendering engine, bringing HTML 5 support and the ultra-fast V8 JavaScript engine to Microsoft's web browser.

Microsoft, of course, isn't exactly thrilled at the idea of Google subverting its browser technology - and has made its opinions more than clear. According to an article over on CNet, the software giant has warned users about the "security issues with plugins in general and Google Chrome in particular," claiming that using the plugin "doubles the attach area for malware and malicious scripts" and renders the browser vulnerable to attack.

The company's statement even goes so far as to say that "this [installing Google Chrome Frame] is not a risk we would recommend our friends and families take."

For anyone willing to take the risk and fly in the face of Microsoft's advice, there are benefits to be had: InfoWorld reports that Chrome running within IE via Chrome Frame performance runs through the popular SunSpider JavaScript benchmark suite ten times faster than in plain old Internet Explorer 8.

Interestingly, the Chrome Frame plugin does offer slightly more flexibility than just installing the standard Chrome browser: sites are rendered using Internet Explorer's own engine unless an HTML tag on the site requests Chrome or the URL is prefixed with the characters "CF:"

Do you think that Chrome Frame is a neat idea, or does Microsoft have a point when it talks about doubling the browser's attack surface? Share your thoughts over in the forums.

26 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
UncertainGod 25th September 2009, 14:15 Quote
It's a very neat idea and microsoft's reaction is priceless.
mi1ez 25th September 2009, 14:15 Quote
If you're at work it shouldn't be a problem using IE
. if you work in web dev/design then you should have whatever you want/need.
crazyceo 25th September 2009, 14:17 Quote
Google must have a feeling that they aren't going to be taking over the world with their own browser and their toolbar downloads must also be in the decline.

I am in complete agreement with Microsoft here as I am sick to death of going to third party downloads and being forever asked to download and install the "Come and make us some money and we will give you nothing!" Google Toolbar.

Download at your peril!
mi1ez 25th September 2009, 14:18 Quote
Doesn't install without admin credentials anyway. What's the point? If you can install this, you can install the full Chrome. Seems incredibly pointless
Phil Rhodes 25th September 2009, 14:56 Quote
Quote:
pointless

Well exactly. I suspect that the crossover of people who know they should get something better than IE and have the privileges to do so, yet for some reason don't just want to use some other browser, is microscopically small.
matee 25th September 2009, 15:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
Doesn't install without admin credentials anyway. What's the point? If you can install this, you can install the full Chrome. Seems incredibly pointless

Bah just wanted to try it @ work since IE is whats i'm stuck with.
mclean007 25th September 2009, 16:12 Quote
I think it's quite smart, to be honest. Haven't tried it yet, but the idea of being able to use a single browser that seamlessly switches to use Chrome's rendering and JS engines for sites that are optimised for / require it, is very slick. Much as I like what Google has done with Chrome, it isn't yet usable as the only browser on a machine, because so many sites are "optimised" for IE and break or look goofy on other browsers (though the situation is improving, largely because developers can no longer afford to ignore other browsers now that IE doesn't have a 90% share!).

I guess the question marks relate to how tight the integration is - does it interact with IE's history (so visited links show up as visited etc.)? Does it interact with saved form information, bookmarks etc. properly? Is its security behaviour governed by Chrome's settings or IE's? Will it pick up and play nice with IE cookies? And so on.
Hugo 25th September 2009, 16:15 Quote
Please can someone develop an IE Frame for Chrome? I'm stuck using Chrome on my work PC and I need IE to be able to use the myriad sites optimised for its superior-ness.
dyzophoria 25th September 2009, 16:28 Quote
well I can see the use for people at work stuck with IE, but .. i dont know, If I want a chrome, I get a chrome, I want a firefox, I get a firefox, but I get a chrome in an another browser?, its like windows over DOS if you ask me..
Mentai 25th September 2009, 16:44 Quote
I just like that they made IE8 run 10x faster by adding to it. They prove how superior chrome is and get a golden reaction out of Microsoft, hilarious.

@crazyceo

News stories involving Google wouldn't be the same without you <3
DarkLord7854 25th September 2009, 17:33 Quote
The amount of people using will most likely be extremely limited outside of developers.
wafflesomd 25th September 2009, 17:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Google must have a feeling that they aren't going to be taking over the world with their own browser and their toolbar downloads must also be in the decline.

I am in complete agreement with Microsoft here as I am sick to death of going to third party downloads and being forever asked to download and install the "Come and make us some money and we will give you nothing!" Google Toolbar.

Download at your peril!

lol wut
Aterius Gmork 25th September 2009, 18:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentai
I just like that they made IE8 run 10x faster by adding to it. They prove how superior chrome is and get a golden reaction out of Microsoft, hilarious.

TBH this is the whole point I think - showing people how much faster/better the Chrome browser is. A PR gag.
Xir 25th September 2009, 19:09 Quote
Quote:
"this [installing Google Chrome Frame] is not a risk we would recommend our friends and families take."

Talk about the pot and the EFFFin kettle!
HourBeforeDawn 25th September 2009, 20:26 Quote
I dont use Chrome on any of my systems except for and in this case I think its ideally designed for is my ASUS netbook. Chrome is perfect for such systems as for my other systems ehh I stick with FF.
xprodancer 26th September 2009, 01:41 Quote
well i have tryed both IE and google chrome! i must say there speed is the same on my system! i would like to try the add-on to IE if it speeds up then that will be my choice!!!
ciri28 26th September 2009, 18:36 Quote
If a google chrome plugin helps educate the sheep that there are other browser choices, then great, but skepticism steps in and says it is just another revenue generating tool bar as already pointed out.
crazyceo 26th September 2009, 22:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentai
I just like that they made IE8 run 10x faster by adding to it. They prove how superior chrome is and get a golden reaction out of Microsoft, hilarious.

@crazyceo

News stories involving Google wouldn't be the same without you <3

Thanks Babe! I'm here to ruin the Google love'in some try to make. Especially the "Google is a really good company!" comments when some don't even know how Google make their money.

This topic highlights exactly what Google is trying to do and some are too stupid to realise it. If I'm wrong, please correct me.
SquattingDawg 27th September 2009, 01:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Thanks Babe! I'm here to ruin the Google love'in some try to make. Especially the "Google is a really good company!" comments when some don't even know how Google make their money.

This topic highlights exactly what Google is trying to do and some are too stupid to realise it. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

So educate me on how Google makes their money. The only way I know of is through ads
Shagbag 27th September 2009, 03:43 Quote
Me too. I'd be interested to hear your views.
Also, I'd be interested to learn how those views affect me when I use Chromium instead of Chrome.

For those that want to try out Google's Chrome Frame on their version of IE, the download link is Here.
will. 27th September 2009, 11:26 Quote
It isn't actually 10x faster in general. In fact, it's just as slow as standard IE. The difference is that Chromes javascript engine is much faster, and I think those are the tests they are basing their 10x figure on.
I-E-D 27th September 2009, 19:31 Quote
Whoa safe! They kept that hidden!
crazyceo 27th September 2009, 21:22 Quote
Every time you use a google product to go to any site and that particular site is on their preferred or partnered listings then google is paid per click. So that will be browser, toolbar and search service has always been making money for google and giving you nothing in return.

Now don't you think they owe you something for that? As it's only Microsofts Bing offering cash back at present. Yes, that's right. The almighty Microsoft.
CowBlazed 28th September 2009, 04:29 Quote
lol you can't be serious, do you expect to be paid every time you watch a commercial or look at a billboard? Only reason Microsoft is using cashback is to try and win some of google's marketshare.
Mentai 28th September 2009, 12:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Every time you use a google product to go to any site and that particular site is on their preferred or partnered listings then google is paid per click. So that will be browser, toolbar and search service has always been making money for google and giving you nothing in return.

Now don't you think they owe you something for that? As it's only Microsofts Bing offering cash back at present. Yes, that's right. The almighty Microsoft.

It's symbiotic. I use googles services at no charge, and the more useful I find them, the more money they make. Nobody loses out in the process, you just want to win out more?
RichCreedy 28th September 2009, 20:54 Quote
correct me if i'm wrong, but doesnt internet explorer 64 bit, load pages a lot faster
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums