Spammers ramp up for Easter

Spammers ramp up for Easter

McColo's closure was a brief respite, with spam volumes as high now as when the company was in full swing according to MXLogic.

Spam is on the rise in the run up to Easter, with figures showing that unsolicited bulk e-mails accounted for almost 85 percent of all e-mail traffic last month.

As reported over on vnunet.com, the latest figures released from security firm MXLogic show that spam is once again on the rise – and has hit the highest traffic percentage since notorious spamhouse McColo was shut down last year. In fact, March saw a massive 34 percent increase in overall spam volume over February – which led to the total percentage of spam-to-ham e-mail traffic hitting an impressive 84.8 percent for the month.

The most common type of spam to be seen by MXLogic's survey was unlicensed healthcare advertising – in other words, penis pills – with alleged discounts on consumer goods and fraudulent diplomas running close behind. Interestingly, the company claims in its report that spammers are moving to using geolocation strategies to ensure that adverts are localised according to the receiving e-mail system.

Phishing on social networking sites continues to be a problem, as does generic spam masquerading as legitimate e-mail from popular sites such as Facebook or Classmates.com.

Despite the sharp rise in spam volume month-on-month, MXLogic's figures show that the year-on-year picture is a fair bit healthier. While volumes are creeping back up from the low in November last year when McColo was closed down, they still have a long way to go before they match the impressive amount of spam that was shifted in March last year.

Have you noticed an increase in spam levels to your own e-mail addresses, or do you have pretty neat filter system to ensure that the hawkers are kept at bay? Share your thoughts over in the forums.

Blademrk 7th April 2009, 10:20 Quote
I've had 2 spam emails in the past month (both from some asian printers). I've used the same Hotmail email account for the last 12 or so years.
ORB13 7th April 2009, 10:54 Quote
Yeah 423 emails in my g-mail spam folder, who can beat that?
Gareth Halfacree 7th April 2009, 11:01 Quote
ORB13 7th April 2009, 11:10 Quote
Dam!! Yeah, that just might do it.
frojoe 7th April 2009, 11:16 Quote
You know when you log into your bank account and you see a message and picture you personally chose? I don't see why websites couldn't do this with their email so that you could identify the real from the fake. Tbh I've never had a fake email make it past my spam filter, but if all of my emails that really came from each site had a small personal message I could be sure they were legitimate. Could be a pain to set up, but completely possible.
chrisb2e9 7th April 2009, 14:22 Quote
I deleted over 1000 e-mails in my gmail spam folder just the other day.
knuck 8th April 2009, 01:59 Quote
i get 5 to 10 a day on hotmail. Most of them end up directly in the junk folder but some manage to go through and it's useless to try and block them manually because it doesn't do anything
Tulatin 8th April 2009, 06:33 Quote
I miss having English speaking spammers, to be honest. These days, it's just russian and chinese mails to my work account. Around 100-120 a day that get IN to the box, then another 200-300 that get filtered as spam. *Sigh*
Elton 8th April 2009, 06:38 Quote
I've gotten lately, 3...and that's being generous.