Get MySpace on your mobile

Get MySpace on your mobile

MySpace now on Vodafone. Great.

Vodafone has today announced that its handsets will be able to traverse MySpace with new software available for download.

As part of the Vodafone Live! package, certain handsets will be able to download the software and newer handsets will start to come with the MySpace software pre-installed.

Fans of the service will be able to read other people's pages, as well as uploading blog entries, photos and videos to their own pages, meaning they never have to be disconnected from the site, notorious for its addictiveness.

The deal is exclusive to Vodafone, which means that if you want to mobile MySpace, you gotta grab one of the company's new handsets. Orange and o2 must be pretty gutted, seeing as MySpace is a massive deal for the yoof of today.

This is the latest in a line of mobile/internet deals. Last year, YouTube hooked up with Verizon, in the States, to offer video content for playback on phones.

Will you be getting a 'MySpace phone'? Let us know over in the forums.

DougEdey 8th February 2007, 11:52 Quote
Why. Why. Why? Why would you do this to us? Is this punishment for letting you leave?
mclean007 8th February 2007, 12:07 Quote
I must say, I just don't get the whole MySpace / social networking phenomenon. I must be too old. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't really WANT to read badly spelled, horribly presented blogs by angst-ridden teenagers about how nobody understands them; I have more than enough friends in real life without making pretend friends online; I like a variety of music, but there's so much crap to wade through to get to the good stuff and I just have better things to do with my time than that. With so much decent content on the interweb, why oh why would I want to deal with what is, ultimately, a collection of amateur diary entries?

The only time I'll go on MySpace (or YouTube come to that) is when someone sends me a link to something funny or some decent music.

So, Vodafone, I won't be tempted by your new offering - give me exclusive mobile bit-tech access and I might be more tempted. :D
TheEclypse 8th February 2007, 12:08 Quote
Everybody I know uses FaceBook.
oddball walking 8th February 2007, 12:13 Quote
This myspace thing is strange at collage people go on it to read about there mates who are sat next to them :? . i don't think ill switch over to Vodafone.
specofdust 8th February 2007, 12:13 Quote
Have to concur that I don't "get" myspace. I have msn, IRC, Skype, email and forums. Not to mention phones and the ability to see people IRL. Why would I want a slow thing like myspace to communicate with friends? It just seems like a way for people to be able to show the world how many "friends" they have and feel great that people read their self-absorbed egomanical crap that they write every few days.
calking13 8th February 2007, 12:24 Quote
This isn't the first mobile provider deal MySpace has made, Helio and Cingular (soon to be AT&T) in the US now have Myspace access as well.
<A88> 8th February 2007, 14:54 Quote
I don't use MySpace because I don't really feel the need to meet new people who meet the demographic of that site. I use my Windows Live Spaces account to share a few pictures and thoughts every now and then with people I already know, as it's easier than sending it all round individually, and I have the opportunity to look at some of their updates when I get the time. I don't, however, pollute my account with grayscale birdseye pics of my face in a dimmed environment or pour out my heart in every blog post (which only occur about once every few weeks anyway).

Social networking has it's purposes and is definately one of the most significant developments that's going to shape the internet over the next few years. However, I'd rather Myspace had sod all to do with it...

<A88>
TheoGeo 8th February 2007, 17:12 Quote
myspace is rubbish, its full of attention seeking emo kids and bands adding anyone and everyone as contacts. Facebook is much better, just actual friends as friends, no stupid scripted web pages, embedded videos or other such anoyances, just social networking through friends and the photo tagging idea is brilliant, you get to see all the embarrasing photos
DXR_13KE 8th February 2007, 17:59 Quote
i am not a user of those kind of sites, they have no logic for me.
fev 8th February 2007, 18:41 Quote
myspace... rofl...

w880i? score one orange
iPhone?score two orange
jezmck 8th February 2007, 18:42 Quote
if MySpace were any good it would provide content accessible on any device, rather than devices having to be made to access it.
and quite why you'd want to is beyond me.
Mary Jo 8th February 2007, 18:47 Quote
People use Myspace to make new friends in their area; comparing it to instant messengers, e-mail and voIP is fairly pointless. Most Myspace users I know still continue to use the aforementioned protocols for communication with friends.

In regards to the article - I've still never met anyone who accesses the internet via their mobile phone. Mobile internet users seem to be mainly business individuals; Myspace users are mainly teenagers - I don't think this will work.
f00dl3 8th February 2007, 19:40 Quote
I can already get into myspace, facebook, etc with this PPC6700 Sprint phone. However, I have noticed lately that some websites are dumbing down pages for mobile phones, which is annoying when you cant access streaming video or images from a phone that is 100% capable of it.

And Macromedia FlashLite is not tha great. only letts you run ripped swf files on a memory card.
randosome 8th February 2007, 21:59 Quote
Originally Posted by TheoGeo
umm wow i don't think i could say it better myself

QFT basically