An American woman has paid the ultimate price for the Wii
A mother has died of water intoxication whilst taking part in a radio competition to win her children a Nintendo Wii. 28 year old, Jennifer Strange, took part in a competition called “Hold your wee for a Wii”, where contestants were tasked with consuming large amounts of water without urinating.
Strange, who was found dead on Friday afternoon in her home had left the radio station in Sacremento in tears after she’d failed to win the competition. She complained of a terrible headache to her employers. A co-competitor, James Ybarra, described the event to News 10:
"They were small little half-pint bottle so we thought it was going to be easy. They told us if you don't feel like you can do this; don't put your health in risk. I tapped (out) after five (bottles). My bladder couldn't handle it anymore.”
This isn’t the first incident of life threatening danger surrounding next generation consoles. A couple of months ago we reported
a drive by shooting that took place in a queue for a PS3. That time there were no casualties, unfortunately, that wasn’t the case this time.
We expect the radio station will now face a court case with a question mark over whether running stunts like this are either legal or responsible. John Geary, vice president and marketing manager for Entercom Sacramento, owner of the station, expressed shock at the incident and said they were awaiting information to help explain why and how this occurred. It is not currently known how much water Strange drank.
Shocked by this story or do you feel it's representative of modern society? Let us know in the forums