bit-tech.net

Isohunt not working due to technical issue, back soon

Isohunt not working due to technical issue, back soon

Isohunt founder Gray Fung

Isohunt, one of the world's most popular torrent indexing sites, is currently completely inaccessible due to a technical issue.

The news will come as a relief to regular users of the site who may have feared it had been shut down due to copyright infringement litigation.

The site's founder Gary Fung has confirmed that a database error and corrupted Linux kernel have caused the problems and that he expects it to be available again soon.

Started in 2003, Isohunt has come to be amongst the most popular torrent indexing sites, serving millions of visitors a day.

Following the demise of The Pirate Bay and TorrentSpy it has received its fair share of attention from major record labels and Hollywood studios that are looking to claim damages from copyright infringement. So far, though, it has managed to avoid being closed down.

Fung expects the site to be back up within the next 12 hours.

23 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Redbeaver 2nd July 2013, 19:10 Quote
people still use isohunt? man this brings back memories.... isohunt and suprnova.org lol...

btw what r people's thought on kick ass torrents?
fdbh96 2nd July 2013, 19:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeaver

btw what r people's thought on kick ass torrents?

Its illegal.

(Piracy discussion on BT never goes well)
SchizoFrog 2nd July 2013, 19:29 Quote
Um, using Isohunt is not illegal, nor is using a Torrent Client for that matter. Downloading of certain material is illegal from whatever source or location it is.
loftie 2nd July 2013, 19:35 Quote
Quote:
Following the demise of The Pirate Bay

Pretty sure it's still around
fdbh96 2nd July 2013, 19:36 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Um, using Isohunt is not illegal, nor is using a Torrent Client for that matter. Downloading of certain material is illegal from whatever source or location it is.

So why have they been blocked in the UK (kickass torrents not iso hunt)?
SchizoFrog 2nd July 2013, 19:39 Quote
I can't answer that as I know nothing about Kick Ass Torrents and my comment was specific to Isohunt. Maybe something they were doing was illegal. Up until late last night Isohunt has been working fine and Isohunt have said that this is a technical issue, not a legal one.
mars-bar-man 2nd July 2013, 19:39 Quote
Because it's easier to block the site than the content (I'd imagine), plus it may also be down to them providing links to download illegal things.
fdbh96 2nd July 2013, 19:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
I can't answer that as I know nothing about Kick Ass Torrents and my comment was specific to Isohunt. Maybe something they were doing was illegal. Up until late last night Isohunt has been working fine and Isohunt have said that this is a technical issue, not a legal one.

But my comment was about KAT :). Isohunt must be 'legal' as its not blocked like KAT.
rocknroll237 2nd July 2013, 20:22 Quote
"Following the demise of The Pirate Bay"

Proxies my friend.
Stanley Tweedle 2nd July 2013, 20:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbh96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
Um, using Isohunt is not illegal, nor is using a Torrent Client for that matter. Downloading of certain material is illegal from whatever source or location it is.

So why have they been blocked in the UK (kickass torrents not iso hunt)?

Something is not illegal just because the american government tries to impose a world-wide ban.

It's like declaring a whistle-blower an criminal because he revealed criminal actions of those wielding the illusion of power.

I use torrents every day. Many legit companies offer torrent versions of their downloads too.
fdbh96 2nd July 2013, 21:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Tweedle
Something is not illegal just because the american government tries to impose a world-wide ban.

It's like declaring a whistle-blower an criminal because he revealed criminal actions of those wielding the illusion of power.

I use torrents every day. Many legit companies offer torrent versions of their downloads too.

I have no idea who blocked KAT, but I know the uk ISPs blocked pirate bay, not the US government.

Many legit companies DO offer torrents, but they generally don't post it on these kinds of sites, instead just offering the torrent off their own servers.
CrazyJoe 2nd July 2013, 21:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbh96
I have no idea who blocked KAT, but I know the uk ISPs blocked pirate bay, not the US government.

Many legit companies DO offer torrents, but they generally don't post it on these kinds of sites, instead just offering the torrent off their own servers.

It was the courts that banned these sites, not ISPs...

I would go into a long winded speech about these sites not hosting any copyrighted material etc but I can't be bothered.

The bans are useless though as it's very easy to get around them. For example TPB had an increase of traffic from the UK after the ban.
DriftCarl 2nd July 2013, 21:38 Quote
I dont use torrents for movies or applications anymore. I use them for TV shows, when stupid american TV studios decide to make reasonable paid for downloads and not try to force UK people to wait 6 months before we can watch shows, then I will buy them no problem.
With the internet now, its impossible to not watch a show and it not get spoilers everywhere
Woodspoon 2nd July 2013, 22:37 Quote
Interesting coincidence that releaselog appears to be down as well, or at least it is for me.
SchizoFrog 2nd July 2013, 22:59 Quote
Just be glad you don't live in Germany. They often release a 'tracked' torrent on the usual sites and then whoever downloads the files gets their IP address tracked. The next thing you know is that in 2 weeks you get a letter from a local solicitor with a fine for €1,000 and the only way to appeal is to hire your own, independent lawyer and to take them to court. Over there you are also personally responsible as the bill payer for use of your internet service including WiFi.

What's the UK implementing in 2015? A three time loser ISP ban for illegal downloading.
miller 3rd July 2013, 00:34 Quote
ISOhunt is back and I can access KAT from UK, IIRC it's just the bigger ISP's that block some torrent sites not all of them?
CrazyJoe 3rd July 2013, 01:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller
IIRC it's just the bigger ISP's that block some torrent sites not all of them?

Yeah, at home Virgin Media block them but no issues with accessing them through my phone's connection (on 3).

Have to laugh at the article saying "the demise of The Pirate Bay", they're going stronger than ever.
Stanley Tweedle 3rd July 2013, 12:29 Quote
Yes, of course... UK courts started imposing bans because of new legislation that was pushed through by whatever overpaid government twats. It's still as a result of pressure from the large media corporations in the US wanting to lock down everything. I mean they're banning rainwater collection in some US states now so you can see where that country is headed.
John_T 3rd July 2013, 15:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Tweedle
I mean they're banning rainwater collection in some US states now so you can see where that country is headed.

WHAT? Where? Why...?
sixfootsideburns 3rd July 2013, 15:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Tweedle
Yes, of course... UK courts started imposing bans because of new legislation that was pushed through by whatever overpaid government twats. It's still as a result of pressure from the large media corporations in the US wanting to lock down everything. I mean they're banning rainwater collection in some US states now so you can see where that country is headed.

So let me get this straight... You (I assume a Brit) are gripping about your goverments actions. You say those actions are based on pressure from companies based in the US to limit peoples theft of property and investment. Then you go as far as to say the goverment are a bunch of twats because of it?

That is quite possibly the stupidest arguement I've ever heard. "These companies are such assholes because they are pressuring goverments around the world to keep people from stealing from them. Who the eff does that?!?!"
Stanley Tweedle 3rd July 2013, 15:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfootsideburns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Tweedle
Yes, of course... UK courts started imposing bans because of new legislation that was pushed through by whatever overpaid government twats. It's still as a result of pressure from the large media corporations in the US wanting to lock down everything. I mean they're banning rainwater collection in some US states now so you can see where that country is headed.

So let me get this straight... You (I assume a Brit) are gripping about your goverments actions. You say those actions are based on pressure from companies based in the US to limit peoples theft of property and investment. Then you go as far as to say the goverment are a bunch of twats because of it?

That is quite possibly the stupidest arguement I've ever heard. "These companies are such assholes because they are pressuring goverments around the world to keep people from stealing from them. Who the eff does that?!?!"

Let's take the case of software.... If I like a game I buy it. I won't buy it unless I try it. If no DEMO is available I download a PIRATE version. I play the pirated version and if I like it then I buy the game. I have a big collection of steam games I purchased. In all the cases where a game didn't have a demo available... I downloaded an "illegal" pirate version so I could try it first. Once in a while I buy into hype reviews and end up buying a game without trying it first. That was the case with bioshock infant. Most awful game I've played in years.

So are you gonna tell me I'm a criminal for downloading pirate versions of games?

Oh and I do the same with TV shows...

I downloaded pirate version of Battlestar remake... Loved it.... Watched enough of the pirate version to know I wanted to watch all of it. So I now OWN the BLURAY boxed set.

Am I a criminal? In the eyes of the american recording industry I am. Do I give a ****? No.
fdbh96 3rd July 2013, 17:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Tweedle
Let's take the case of software.... If I like a game I buy it. I won't buy it unless I try it. If no DEMO is available I download a PIRATE version. I play the pirated version and if I like it then I buy the game. I have a big collection of steam games I purchased. In all the cases where a game didn't have a demo available... I downloaded an "illegal" pirate version so I could try it first. Once in a while I buy into hype reviews and end up buying a game without trying it first. That was the case with bioshock infant. Most awful game I've played in years.

So are you gonna tell me I'm a criminal for downloading pirate versions of games?

Oh and I do the same with TV shows...

I downloaded pirate version of Battlestar remake... Loved it.... Watched enough of the pirate version to know I wanted to watch all of it. So I now OWN the BLURAY boxed set.

Am I a criminal? In the eyes of the american recording industry I am. Do I give a ****? No.

Thats a pretty daft argument. If your in a shop and there isn't the ability to try the item, you don't just shoplift it, because that is illegal. Thats the chance you take being a consumer.

Also, its got nothing to do with the government. They want an open internet but because so many people use it for illegal activities they get pressured from everyone for it to change. If you were a game company that was struggling to get by, you'd be pretty annoyed if people were just downloading it for free.

If you want the government to change, start a petition or be an MP or whatever, just don't whinge on an internet forum because it is extremely unlikely anyone will listen, change or care. All they will see is you admitting to pirating, which isn't a great idea either.
Stanley Tweedle 3rd July 2013, 18:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdbh96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Tweedle
Let's take the case of software.... If I like a game I buy it. I won't buy it unless I try it. If no DEMO is available I download a PIRATE version. I play the pirated version and if I like it then I buy the game. I have a big collection of steam games I purchased. In all the cases where a game didn't have a demo available... I downloaded an "illegal" pirate version so I could try it first. Once in a while I buy into hype reviews and end up buying a game without trying it first. That was the case with bioshock infant. Most awful game I've played in years.

So are you gonna tell me I'm a criminal for downloading pirate versions of games?

Oh and I do the same with TV shows...

I downloaded pirate version of Battlestar remake... Loved it.... Watched enough of the pirate version to know I wanted to watch all of it. So I now OWN the BLURAY boxed set.

Am I a criminal? In the eyes of the american recording industry I am. Do I give a ****? No.

Thats a pretty daft argument. If your in a shop and there isn't the ability to try the item, you don't just shoplift it, because that is illegal. Thats the chance you take being a consumer.

Also, its got nothing to do with the government. They want an open internet but because so many people use it for illegal activities they get pressured from everyone for it to change. If you were a game company that was struggling to get by, you'd be pretty annoyed if people were just downloading it for free.

If you want the government to change, start a petition or be an MP or whatever, just don't whinge on an internet forum because it is extremely unlikely anyone will listen, change or care. All they will see is you admitting to pirating, which isn't a great idea either.

Since I can't rely on reviews to determine if I will like a game... If no demo is available then I will continue to download pirate versions. I believe in supporting developers for any game I like enough to play. My music sequencer (Mixcraft 6) had a demo available... I tried the demo then bought the software because I knew it worked for me. Reaper is music software with an even more flexible policy. You can use their DAW as long as you like but they ask if you like it then buy it. The pricing is very reasonable too.

I've spent hundreds on games, software and videos over the years so I'm not gonna lose any sleep over someone disliking my downloading of pirate games or TV to test before buying....

Likewise if you don't like my policy then call the white house and request a drone strike.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums