bit-tech.net

Asus introduces Poseidon watercooled graphics cards

Asus introduces Poseidon watercooled graphics cards

The new Poseidon range will feature an conventional air-cooler along with connections for water-cooling.

Asus has introduced a new concept in graphics card coolers called Asus Poseidon, which uses a conventional air cooler and incorporates water-cooling connections.

Not officially announced for any particular card yet, the new cooler system was shown on a dual-slot card that uses a centrally mounted fan that exhausts air through the back, front and top of the card. This air cooler should, on its own, provide ample cooling for conventional usage. However, by incorporating a waterblock and G1/4in connections, the card can also be converted to a water-cooled part.

Asus claimed a 31degrees Celsius drop in temperatures when using the water-cooling, also inferring that it would reduce temperatures while reducing noise. It was also indicated that the user would have the choice of running the fan in conjunction with the water cooler for even better cooling performance.

Asus was unwilling to reveal the chip/card for which the system had been developed, though it seemed - by the size of the card - likely to be either an Nvidia GTX 780 or AMD HD 7970, suggesting the system will be able to cope with high-power cards.

There are many reasons to have reservations about Poseidon, including that the extra surface area required to make for an efficient air cooler will mean a higher-cost and a bulkier card than a conventional water-cooled card, but on a higher level the concept has merits: in theory users will be able to buy the card and use it in an air-cooled mode until such time that they can afford or have the time to fit the card into a water cooling loop.

No direct indication was given as to when Poseidon would be making a debut but it seems likely that if it is to arrive it will do so around Q4.

Would you consider buying an air-cooled card with the idea of potentially upgrading to a water-cooled system, or does Poseidon seem like a concept too far? Let us kno your thoughts in the forums.

21 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
atc95 4th June 2013, 19:27 Quote
Personally I think it is a great idea, you said in the article 7970, does that mean the Poseidon cooling will be coming to both current and new gen graphics cards?
erratum1 4th June 2013, 19:31 Quote
Sounds expensive an air cooled card with a waterblock in case one day you want to water cool it.

Better off deciding what you want to do to begin with also water cooled cards are quite slim, this is bulky.
Woodspoon 4th June 2013, 20:21 Quote
One thing or the other, not both, compromises performance and increases price, waste of time IMHO.
Pranja 4th June 2013, 20:36 Quote
It is GTX 770.
Stanley Tweedle 4th June 2013, 21:03 Quote
Now this is what's been needed for a long time. Hybrid cooling removing the need to risk voiding warranty on already expensive GPU. I am selling my 680 waterblock and have lost 3 screws from the original air cooler and thus if I need RMA I have probs. If the cost of this hybrid is reasonable then I'd certainly go for it. Also making the assumption that performance is compromised because it's dual cooling is rather silly.

That's a smart design and it looks great.

http://www.techpowerup.com/184911/asus-shows-off-republic-of-gamers-gtx-770-poseidon.html
Woodspoon 4th June 2013, 21:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Tweedle
making the assumption that performance is compromised because it's dual cooling is rather silly.

That's a smart design and it looks great.

http://www.techpowerup.com/184911/asus-shows-off-republic-of-gamers-gtx-770-poseidon.html

Those pictures do appear to show it as a compromise, from the looks of them it's not a full cover water block, just some piping that seems to go round the bit by the fan, certainly not as extensive as most full cover gpu blocks.
r3loaded 4th June 2013, 22:05 Quote
It'll probably end up costing more than a reference card + block.
Stanley Tweedle 4th June 2013, 22:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Tweedle
making the assumption that performance is compromised because it's dual cooling is rather silly.

That's a smart design and it looks great.

http://www.techpowerup.com/184911/asus-shows-off-republic-of-gamers-gtx-770-poseidon.html

Those pictures do appear to show it as a compromise, from the looks of them it's not a full cover water block, just some piping that seems to go round the bit by the fan, certainly not as extensive as most full cover gpu blocks.

"The solution works with a common full-coverage base that makes contact with the card's GPU, memory, and VRM, which is in contact with both a complex ain-array, and a coolant channel"
The_Crapman 5th June 2013, 00:01 Quote
The cooler looks like it'd run hot as hell without watercooling. No wonder adding water knocks 31C off the temps!
Woodspoon 5th June 2013, 00:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Tweedle

"The solution works with a common full-coverage base that makes contact with the card's GPU, memory, and VRM, which is in contact with both a complex ain-array, and a coolant channel"

Yeah, so it's a standard big heatsink and fan with a small waterblock shoved between GPU and fan base.
A bit of both and the best of neither, compromised.
Anfield 5th June 2013, 01:38 Quote
Personally I think the idea of a fan on a waterblock is retarded.

However I can understand why Asus would do it, should certainly help keep fraudulent RMAs from people too stupid to understand they need to connect the waterblock at a minimum.
Marquee 5th June 2013, 04:06 Quote
I really like the idea. It's only a matter of time before computers are fully water cooled, so this is the step before the huge leap forward. Running the fan while using a water to cool the card sounds interesting. If its anything like there motherboard it will be amazing for high end builds.
Vetalar 5th June 2013, 05:01 Quote
Great idea IMHO. Easy way to start lc. Look at the accelero hybrid-it has very nice performance!

send from Deathstar via HAL9000
Stanley Tweedle 5th June 2013, 10:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Tweedle

"The solution works with a common full-coverage base that makes contact with the card's GPU, memory, and VRM, which is in contact with both a complex ain-array, and a coolant channel"

Yeah, so it's a standard big heatsink and fan with a small waterblock shoved between GPU and fan base.
A bit of both and the best of neither, compromised.

It's also an asus rog and those are designed for extreme performance thus they'd have to be stupid designing a rog that doesn't cool properly... so what's the beef?

Cooling should be adequate on air. If they design a gpu that overheats on air then that would be pretty dumb. Will it provide the lowest temps of any GPU on air? No. Why should it?

Being able to plug in liquid is bloody brilliant. Having just removed a 680 waterblock from my 680 and being forced to run it on air I can say I will never again fit another waterblock to a GPU. It's not worth the inconvenience and potential problems. If I had that new Asus I'd have no hesitation connecting it to water.

Are the asus rog team stupid? Perhaps. I just can't see it myself.

http://rog.asus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/asus-7205-666x1000.jpg
Woodspoon 5th June 2013, 13:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Tweedle

It's also an asus rog and those are designed for extreme performance thus they'd have to be stupid designing a rog that doesn't cool properly... so what's the beef?

No Beef, not saying their stupid either, also not saying that it wont cool properly.
Just saying that it's performance is unlikely to be as good as if it was a dedicated air cooler or dedicated waterblock. because of the compromise.


As a side note, while the range is limited, you can get graphics cards with factory fitted waterblocks, which would solve any inconvenience and potential problems you mentioned.
Bindibadgi 5th June 2013, 13:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspoon
Yeah, so it's a standard big heatsink and fan with a small waterblock shoved between GPU and fan base.
A bit of both and the best of neither, compromised.

It's taken 18 months to design the cooler. It won't be *the best* on water, but it's better than any air alternative and compared to finding/spec'ing/installing a block along with VRM cooler/VRM pads it's a million times easier. ;) It'll cool on air perfectly fine an the new fan design does a must better job than most.
Stanley Tweedle 5th June 2013, 13:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodspoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Tweedle

It's also an asus rog and those are designed for extreme performance thus they'd have to be stupid designing a rog that doesn't cool properly... so what's the beef?

No Beef, not saying their stupid either, also not saying that it wont cool properly.
Just saying that it's performance is unlikely to be as good as if it was a dedicated air cooler or dedicated waterblock. because of the compromise.


As a side note, while the range is limited, you can get graphics cards with factory fitted waterblocks, which would solve any inconvenience and potential problems you mentioned.

Yup, I agree it is a compromise. I think for those who want the best air cooling GPU would have to look elsewhere and likewise those who want max liquid cooling would still buy a 3rd party block. For those people inbetween (me since last week) this is ideal.

I do see your point now about compromised cooling though.
Star*Dagger 5th June 2013, 23:38 Quote
Outstanding.


S*D
Bindibadgi 6th June 2013, 02:19 Quote
Quote:

There can only be one way to solve this. A battle to the death.
Stanley Tweedle 6th June 2013, 08:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Quote:

There can only be one way to solve this. A battle to the death.

I think we need to see some other companies with a Poseidon range too so we can mix and match brands but still have name unity.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums