bit-tech.net

Sony buys Ghostbusters game from Atari

Sony buys Ghostbusters game from Atari

Sony has bought the rights to publish the new Ghostbusters game from Atari.

Sony Computer Entertainment has today announced that it has bought the upcoming Ghostbusters game from Atari, just one month before the game is set for release.

The game, which is scheduled to hit shelves on June 19th, will coincide with initial filming on a third film that is also being made by Sony. Sony, obviously eager to capitalise on the popularity of the franchise, has apparently decided to make the previously multi-platform game a PlayStation exclusive.

Ghostbusters: The Game will now ship as a PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3 exclusive when it is released in June, with the exclusivity lasting for several months, after which a PlayStation Portable version will be released, according to GamesIndustry.biz.

It's unclear what will happen to the remaining versions of the game, most notably the Xbox 360 release, but early reports indicate that Atari will retain the rights to publish the game on that platform at some point.

The move to Sony means that the Ghostbusters game has shifted publisher three times over the course of development, having first been dropped by Vivendi after the Activision-Blizzard merger last summer. Atari picked the title up quickly in an effort to make some quick cash after having been hit hard by the recession.

Early previews of the upcoming Ghostbusters game have had a favourable response from critics, especially with the addition of co-operative gameplay, so it seems all we can do now is hope Sony doesn't do too much to alter the development of the game.

Are you looking forward to the new Ghostbusters game? Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

53 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
bogie170 6th May 2009, 11:56 Quote
Hopefully it will not end up a mix and mash of 3 companys ideas and failings!

Whats the news on a possible PC release? Xmas time?
proxymoron 6th May 2009, 12:03 Quote
I am glad, because it means one less game to buy.
cjoyce1980 6th May 2009, 12:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogie170
Hopefully it will not end up a mix and mash of 3 companys ideas and failings!

Whats the news on a possible PC release? Xmas time?

unless is it a sony VIAO exclusive, you have the same chance as 360, Wii and DS users
Veles 6th May 2009, 12:14 Quote
According to the xbox community guys on twitter it's still coming to the 360 towards the end of the year.
Gunthorp 6th May 2009, 12:25 Quote
That is absolutely disgusting! They must really be desperate to screw over the millions of Wii & 360 Ghostbusters fans just to shift a few more units of their awful over-priced console. Absolutely abhorrent.
I was really looking forward to playing a new Ghostbusters game too. I'm so disappointed.

I shall never buy a Sony product again.
cjoyce1980 6th May 2009, 12:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles
According to the xbox community guys on twitter it's still coming to the 360 towards the end of the year.

.....and Halo ODST, Gears of War will be available on the PS3 by Christmas with the likes of Little Big Planet and God of War coming to the 360

:facepalm:
Krikkit 6th May 2009, 12:30 Quote
Grr. I was really looking forward to playing this. Now it's ruined. :(
Zut 6th May 2009, 12:37 Quote
Noooooooo!

F**k Sony.
Jamie 6th May 2009, 12:53 Quote
Oh how I love Sony.
Mentai 6th May 2009, 13:08 Quote
This is the most surprising headline (that wasn't misleading) that I've seen in months. It's such a dick move haha. There were a lot of people looking forward to this game, I bet not even a quarter of them have PS3's. All that work on the other platforms wasted too.

I'm quite shocked Sony managed to pull this one, if they had a decent game with mass appeal coming to everything including the wii, wouldn't they earn more money? No option of self publishing?
DougEdey 6th May 2009, 13:12 Quote
What about the specific Wii Version!?!
p3n 6th May 2009, 13:35 Quote
All the dev videos ive seen have been raving about ps3 hardware ...ding?
cjoyce1980 6th May 2009, 13:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3n
All the dev videos ive seen have been raving about ps3 hardware ...ding?

stop flaming fanboy....... try gametrailers.com and not some crappy fanboy site, alot of the videos go on about the Wii control scheme and getting the best GB experience.
Veles 6th May 2009, 13:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoyce1980
.....and Halo ODST, Gears of War will be available on the PS3 by Christmas with the likes of Little Big Planet and God of War coming to the 360

:facepalm:

These aren't just some guys on the forums, these are MS employees, Ghostbusters IS coming to the 360, what part of timed exclusive do you not understand?
pimlicosound 6th May 2009, 13:58 Quote
Is this true?

"Yes, it's true. This man has no dick."
johnnyboy700 6th May 2009, 14:04 Quote
I thought the third film was confirmed as dead and buried?
cjoyce1980 6th May 2009, 14:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoyce1980
.....and Halo ODST, Gears of War will be available on the PS3 by Christmas with the likes of Little Big Planet and God of War coming to the 360

:facepalm:

These aren't just some guys on the forums, these are MS employees, Ghostbusters IS coming to the 360, what part of timed exclusive do you not understand?

there is not confirmation on whether it is a timed exclusive or not, atari isn't doing well in the credit cruch at the moment, so if sony has brought this timed exclusive then they are going against there ethos where they dont buy exclusives....

let just hope that atari will still be publishing the other versions, but that will now depend on the details of the agreement which i'm sure will come about later. I dont believe sony are stupid, I think the rights would have been pulled completely and all other versions canned.
Gunsmith 6th May 2009, 14:11 Quote
I'm not overly interested tbh, I just wish GT5 would hurry up and be released.
Blademrk 6th May 2009, 14:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by X360A on Twitter
Just as an FYI, the Ghostbusters & Sony publishing announcement only extends to PAL territories. Atari - "NTSC will be released as normal"

Linky
which really annoys me. I was looking forward to this game - especially as it was supposed to come out just after my birthday.
themax 6th May 2009, 14:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunthorp
That is absolutely disgusting! They must really be desperate to screw over the millions of Wii & 360 Ghostbusters fans just to shift a few more units of their awful over-priced console. Absolutely abhorrent.
I was really looking forward to playing a new Ghostbusters game too. I'm so disappointed.

I shall never buy a Sony product again.


Even though this is a bait post I'm biting. Nobody seemed to have a problem when Microsoft was buying up everything for the 360. I was a HUGE Ace Combat fan. Where is it on PS3? I love RPGs, oh wait, Microsoft had the exclusives on all Mistwalker games, a couple of Square-Enix titles (Star Ocean comes to mind first) and up till now, even a Nacmo title (Tales series). I see nothing wrong with this move by Sony. By all accounts Microsoft through down the guantlet when they squeezed Square-Enix out of the exclusive contact with Sony for Final Fantasy. But everyone is upset that Sony snatched The Ghostbusters? HA.
Singularity 6th May 2009, 14:37 Quote
What the hell? No PC version? that's just ****!

Edit: not to sound overly... pissed or whatever... I have nothing against console manufacturers fighting over exclusivity - that's fine by me... but don't sc*** PC gamers in the process...
Tokukachi 6th May 2009, 14:43 Quote
This is a Massive dick move by Sony, I'm fine with exclusives, but only in Pal territories? All that's going to happen is people are going to Pirate the PC version, and quite possibly myself included.
pizan 6th May 2009, 14:49 Quote
I'm not defending Sony or any exclusives, but M$ does this all the time with the 360.
Blademrk 6th May 2009, 14:50 Quote
wonder if the NTSC 360 version will be region restricted.

@themax: it's not that they've made it PS3 exclusive that annoys me, it's the fact they've made it PS3 exclusive less than a month from release. And only for europe, non-pal territories still gets the 360/Wii versions at release!!!
Quote:
MS usually does this sort of thing

usually the exclusivity rights are bought at the beginning of the development cycle aren't they? Not when the game is nearly on the shelves. So the salivating masses don't get disappointed when they find out the game isn't coming out on their format of choice.
SMIFFYDUDE 6th May 2009, 15:04 Quote
Who the hell owns Atari now, it seems to go bust every 6-12 months, then gets resurrected.
craigey1 6th May 2009, 15:51 Quote
I had pre-ordered this for the 360. I was looking forward to a decent GB game.
This has just pursueded me to hack my 360 & download a pirated version of the US version. Just off to cancel my order with game.....
Woodspoon 6th May 2009, 15:54 Quote
I cant believe this, it was one of the few PC games I was looking forward to this year, thanks a lot Sony/Atari Grrrrrr
Veles 6th May 2009, 16:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizan
I'm not defending Sony or any exclusives, but M$ does this all the time with the 360.

But MS don't go around saying how they never buy exclusivity, they finger point at the big bad company while they're no better themselves.

And as BladeMRK said, they don't buy exclusivity very close to the release date, there are tons of people with pre-orders for the 360 version who are going to have to wait a lot longer simply because Sony are making a dick move and I don't really see what Sony achieve with this, it's not a mega high profile release, it's not going to shift them that many more consoles because people can't wait to get their hands on it.
mayhem 6th May 2009, 16:05 Quote
dont you just love these console wars lol ... Hand bags at 50 paces girls .....
RedDethX 6th May 2009, 16:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunthorp
That is absolutely disgusting! They must really be desperate to screw over the millions of Wii & 360 Ghostbusters fans just to shift a few more units of their awful over-priced console. Absolutely abhorrent.
I was really looking forward to playing a new Ghostbusters game too. I'm so disappointed.

I shall never buy a Sony product again.

Microsoft does the same thing with DLC or timed exclusives, so I guess that means you won't buy another Microsoft product either?
themax 6th May 2009, 16:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles
But MS don't go around saying how they never buy exclusivity, they finger point at the big bad company while they're no better themselves.

And as BladeMRK said, they don't buy exclusivity very close to the release date, there are tons of people with pre-orders for the 360 version who are going to have to wait a lot longer simply because Sony are making a dick move and I don't really see what Sony achieve with this, it's not a mega high profile release, it's not going to shift them that many more consoles because people can't wait to get their hands on it.

And I recall majority of this forum bashing Sony for saying such. Perhaps Sony realized they can't simply appeal to developers anymore. Microsoft changed the whole game with thier blank checks this generation. Besides this not even close to PS3 owners being forced to wait an extra year (in PAL and NA) for the 360 version of FF XIII thanks to MS so they can release simultaneously.
itazura 6th May 2009, 16:49 Quote
eh, looks like i'll be getting it for ps3 then. it's not exactly a long wait for a 360 version anyway :3
Lepermessiah 6th May 2009, 17:07 Quote
Another reason why consoles stink, trying to tie certain games to a certain hardware demographics = lame. PC rules. Gamers lose. I could care less about this game anyway, something about a ghostbusters game smells bust to me.
DarkLord7854 6th May 2009, 17:16 Quote
I was rather pissed off at first because I was looking forward to it, but it's only PAL regions, so I'm good. Still though, what an asshole move on Sony's part.
devdevil85 6th May 2009, 17:44 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunthorp
That is absolutely disgusting! They must really be desperate to screw over the millions of Wii & 360 Ghostbusters fans just to shift a few more units of their awful over-priced console. Absolutely abhorrent.
I was really looking forward to playing a new Ghostbusters game too. I'm so disappointed.

I shall never buy a Sony product again.
I think you've already made up your mind on "never buy[ing] a Sony product again". With that mentality why do you own a 360? MS is more guilty than Sony on this topic. It's business as usual man, and be happy that it's still coming to 360 later this year.
Tyrmot 6th May 2009, 19:19 Quote
Apparently this deal applies to *Europe only* and the US market (where Atari has the rights) will get a simultaneous multiplatform release.... surely this is just going to encourage piracy? Making different markets wait longer is not that great an idea in this day and age.

I understood that a lot of games were delayed on a particular format in order to achieve a simultaneous release with others and so prevent this kind of effect.. so this is really just a case of them shooting themselves in the foot here and seems pretty stupid to me...

I'm not one to pirate games, but to withhold it like this just to try and shift more PS3s is a pretty shoddy way to treat European customers no? Almost makes me more inclined to take the pirate's side... almost.
devdevil85 6th May 2009, 20:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrmot
I'm not one to pirate games, but to withhold it like this just to try and shift more PS3s is a pretty shoddy way to treat European customers no? Almost makes me more inclined to take the pirate's side... almost.
Would you feel the same way if it were MS? Don't get me wrong though, I don't understand Sony's decision on this either, but they still have a long way to go to reach MS's reputation.
hodgy100 6th May 2009, 20:06 Quote
all I'm gonna say is AWESOME! its about time SONY started taking the market seriously instead of just thinking people will side with them because of their reputation.
talladega 6th May 2009, 20:30 Quote
lots of hate over here.


i never even heard of this game until now.
riggs 6th May 2009, 21:08 Quote
Can't say I blame them to be honest. I mean, they're not gonna budge on the PS3 price so obviously feel the need to pull maneuvers like this. Yeah, it's downright dirty and very last minute but hey, M$ have been doing this for a long time (where's my GTA/Fallout DLC damnit!)
Omnituens 6th May 2009, 23:26 Quote
I was going to get the PC version, but if this is the case I'll get the PS3 version.
salesman 7th May 2009, 06:12 Quote
I know bit-tech and it forums is all about some gaming but come on guys. Seriously? People getting screwed? Over a video game? Salivating over a video game? I think you guys should just take a moment back away from the computer and think this one through because I do not see this discussion going anyway with such comments. My personal opinion, it doesn't matter which console it comes out on because: 1) I'm not biased I own a 360 and PS3 and my brother owns a Wii, and 2) I don't live in the PAL territories. I let the fanboys say whatever they want about Microsoft or Sony, or Nintendo for that matter, because in the end if I wanted to play a game that was only coming out for one of the three major consoles I don't fret I just buy the game and enjoy myself.

What you say? The PS3 is too expensive? OK fanboy don't buy it no one is forcing you.

To Neat69 the one that said he was going to pirate the game because "He hates Sony" (or she for that matter, although I imagine a girl being WAY more mature about this). Are you threatening Sony with piracy? Great idea. Tell me how it works out for ya.

Seriously though, I don't see this falling through. If I were to bet I would say that Sony is going to renege on this move and drop the exclusive, although I am having way too much fun reading comments like these

/Burnfanboys :P ;-)
DarkLord7854 7th May 2009, 06:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman
I know bit-tech and it forums is all about some gaming but come on guys. Seriously? People getting screwed? Over a video game? Salivating over a video game? I think you guys should just take a moment back away from the computer and think this one through because I do not see this discussion going anyway with such comments. My personal opinion, it doesn't matter which console it comes out on because: 1) I'm not biased I own a 360 and PS3 and my brother owns a Wii, and 2) I don't live in the PAL territories. I let the fanboys say whatever they want about Microsoft or Sony, or Nintendo for that matter, because in the end if I wanted to play a game that was only coming out for one of the three major consoles I don't fret I just buy the game and enjoy myself.

What you say? The PS3 is too expensive? OK fanboy don't buy it no one is forcing you.

To Neat69 the one that said he was going to pirate the game because "He hates Sony" (or she for that matter, although I imagine a girl being WAY more mature about this). Are you threatening Sony with piracy? Great idea. Tell me how it works out for ya.

Seriously though, I don't see this falling through. If I were to bet I would say that Sony is going to renege on this move and drop the exclusive, although I am having way too much fun reading comments like these

/Burnfanboys :P ;-)

It's a discussion forum, if you can't deal with the fact that other people have different opinions and situations than you, I doubt you'll be missed if the door hits you on the way out.

People were looking forward to buying the game on the Xbox/PC in Europe because it was announced as multiplatform, they may not have the means, or the desire, or need, to buy a PS3 just to play the game, and thus to them it's not fair.
salesman 7th May 2009, 07:55 Quote
Darklord you had to make that comment. *sigh* it is late and I am tried and you told me nothing new, so what is your point? That I should have not said what I said because they are other people in the world that have opinions? Please. Maybe you don't like my opinion? Which is go buy a PS3. I don't think that is a bad idea, but that is my opinion. The price of the PS3 compared to the 360 is more yes but you don't have to pay to play with a friend online for any game which in my most humble opinion can add up over the years to several hundred dollars wait that's not my opinion that's fact. :P Then compared to a PC the PS3 is fairly cheap if all you're going to use it for is to play games on. Look at Bit-tech's Guide to what I should buy $523.74 for the CHEAPEST build they recommend for a PC. I mean my God there are video cards which are more expensive then a PS3. Don't tell me people out there don't have the means to procure a PS3, if that's the case get a job and save your money. I'm saying don't complain that you can't play the game because you have standard. As people have said the game will be out for the PC and 360 in time all you have to do is wait (and not pirate it). You know it's business as far as Sony is concerned so get over it move on to some other game to play in the meantime.

I still believe though that Sony is going to drop the exclusive because this sounds a little over the top and pressure will come for the masses to force Sony's hand on this. But that is only my most humble opinion.
DarkLord7854 7th May 2009, 08:39 Quote
Then your posts are as pointless as mine as all you're saying is that if people want to play a game that was scheduled and marketed to be on multiple platforms and released on date X, they should just buy new hardware even though just days ago their current hardware would be fine.

It's just marketing and corporation bullshit that is being used to sell a product and which demonstrate how pathetically desperate Sony is about selling their overrated console.
salesman 7th May 2009, 15:34 Quote
Show me a business that isn't "pathetically desperate" to sell it's "overrated" product and I'll show you a business that has failed.

I made my point which is if you want to buy the game the day it comes out in PAL territories then get a PS3 or wait simple.
Your point is? "I hate corporations for doing business", and my post are pointless.

I'll say it again though I DON'T see this exclusive going through. I believe Sony is going to renege.
seere666 22nd May 2009, 14:55 Quote
does no one got to the publishers sites? THIS IS ALL HAPPENING ONLY IN EUROPE!! not in north america. goto infrogrames site and see bad info going around doesnt help games good job on half reporting the situation Bit-Tech more importantly the guy who wrote it Joe Martin
liratheal 22nd May 2009, 15:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by seere666
does no one got to the publishers sites? THIS IS ALL HAPPENING ONLY IN EUROPE!! not in north america. goto infrogrames site and see bad info going around doesnt help games good job on half reporting the situation Bit-Tech more importantly the guy who wrote it Joe Martin

..BT is a primarily British based company, with British based staff, and what I'd wager is a higher number of British members. Reporting about stuff that doesn't affect us happening in NA is not likely to gain them anything much. Telling us what's happening here, well. That's what they're here for.

On topic: Boo-hoo.

MS do it, Nintendo probably do it, why shouldn't Sony?
Blademrk 10th June 2009, 17:53 Quote
gavomatic57 10th June 2009, 18:59 Quote
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 were distributed by Columbia Tristar...who are owned by Sony (since 1989). So I think they're entitled to a bit of exclusivity. It's Sony that have been putting the two movies into people's homes since the late 80's!
DarkLord7854 10th June 2009, 19:04 Quote
Sadly they haven't made a 3rd one :(
E.E.L. Ambiense 11th June 2009, 17:44 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7854
Sadly they haven't made a 3rd one :(

It's in the works.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums