Asus launches scented laptops

Asus launches scented laptops

The Asus F6 range of notebook computers have eye-catching designs - and eye-watering fragrances.

It's a fact that Asus – creator of the Eee PC - has recently been flooding the market with a range of cheap and oft-times bizarre products, but this most recent reveal has to take the cake: scented laptops. I kid not.

Launched in Taiwan last week, the new Asus F6 range comes in a variety of colours – each of which has its own individual scent. Purchasers sick of laptops smelling of plastic, solder, and occasionally flaming burny death can chose Floral Blossom, Musky Black, Morning Dew, or Aqua Ocean – which promises an “invigorating aquatic scent” that presumably does not involve dead fish.

Leaving aside the colourful designs and nose-pleasing odours, the F6 series is pretty capable if not exactly stunning: based around Intel's Centrino 2 platform, you get a choice of Core 2 Duo T9400, P8600, or P8400; 802.11a/g/b/n networking; up to 4GB of DDR II RAM; a 13.3” WXGA screen powered by a ATI Mobility Radeon HD3470 with 256MB dedicated graphics RAM; and a SATA drive ranging from 120-320GB depending on budget. Each laptop will be provided with a version of Windows Vista depending on how much you spend. Extra toys include an in-built webcam and, interestingly, a fingerprint scanner.

But what of the smells? Well, the first thing to note is that it is not permanent. Asus notes that “the lifespan of fragrance depends of actual usage.” Additionally, you can't mix 'n match: the fragrance that comes with the design you've chosen is what you're stuck with. Fancy a black laptop that has a floral scent? Tough luck, buddy: you're stuck with a “musky scent.”

Unfortunately, Asus has failed to provide a scratch 'n sniff plugin for its website – so I am unable to report on how strong the scents are. Still, if you have a tendency to skip bathing on odd-numbered days, a nice scent of morning dew (which Asus say offers the chance to “return to the embrace of Mother Nature for a crisp and refreshing awakening of the senses”) just might see people sitting next to you on the train again.

Would any of our readers be in the market for a smelly – in the good way – laptop, or is it something that will only appeal to a very select minority? Share your thoughts over in the forums.

badders 26th August 2008, 10:58 Quote
Um - Wut?

I happen to like the smell of plastic, solder and flux.

I'm not sure anyone would pay extra for this... would they?
Krikkit 26th August 2008, 11:05 Quote
I can see what they went for, but that just ends up being a bit weird.

Personally, I love the smell of a new bit of kit - it has to be up there with petrol and fresh grass clippings tbh.
liratheal 26th August 2008, 11:06 Quote
To say that's weird is a bit of an understatement.

I like the way my laptop smells of paint, but I liked its 'out of the box' smell more.
Arkanrais 26th August 2008, 11:45 Quote
Asus has failed to provide a scratch 'n sniff plugin for its website
ZOMGZ
scratch & sniff internets. the web 3.0
Mentai 26th August 2008, 12:31 Quote
Oh the horrors sites like 4chan would commit with web 3.0 D:
-pattoe- 26th August 2008, 15:22 Quote
I think its a nice touch... its a bit faddy but im sure theres a good market for it.... ewww cooties!!!
kenco_uk 26th August 2008, 16:24 Quote
Why oh why didn't they team up with Lynx and offer a Bom-chika-wah-wah laptop?
Redbeaver 26th August 2008, 16:34 Quote
if the price is right, id pay for it.

i got enough plastic solder and flux in the office and throughout college.....
freedom810 26th August 2008, 16:53 Quote
I must buy a new asus laptop, they smell great!
Seriously what are they trying to achieve.
The_Beast 26th August 2008, 17:42 Quote
I wouldn't base my laptop pick on smell but like Readbeaver said if the price was right I'd buy it too
naokaji 26th August 2008, 17:53 Quote
Originally Posted by badders
I happen to like the smell of plastic, solder and flux.

they could do a nerd edition that always smells of new hardware

btw, try coloured watercooling tubes, some of the most intense new plastic smell ever.:o
EmJay 26th August 2008, 18:44 Quote
But why would I want people sitting next to me on the train?
dylAndroid 27th August 2008, 08:35 Quote
This is a terrible product. Sure, I won't buy it, but someone else using one nearby is like that person listening to music without headphones.

...maybe for people who like smelly things, they can come out with an edition where you plug a pair of tubes into a port, and stick the ends up their nose. It'd be just like headphones - but uncomfortable and goofy!