Nvidia launches GeForce for mobiles

Nvidia launches GeForce for mobiles

The prototype handset allows connection to a HDTV via HDMI for 720p video playback.

Nvidia has announced a new mobile media processor aimed at the feature-rich mobile phone market - and they've even built a prototype handset running it.

The APX 2500 is a low-power ARM11-based processor designed to support multimedia functionality on a handset-like device. Supporting OpenGL ES 2.0, the mobile flavour of Direct3D and with built-in programmable vertex and lighting support in hardware we're talking about a chip light years away from what we've seen in the past.

Even more amazing than the 3D features is the video support. Nvidia is claiming that the new chip will allow mobile phone handsets to play back 720p video. To prove it, the prototype handset the company has developed comes with a HDMI 1.2 port on the side for output to a compatible display device. That's right: 720p HD video from your mobile phone to your big-screen TV, no extras required.

Of course, you'll need somewhere to store these HD videos, and the prototype has an SDHC compatible MiniSD slot to take care of that. Interestingly, the slot is accessible from the outside of the case without removing any covers or batteries – something which certainly makes switching cards an awful lot more convenient.

Power is always a consideration with mobile devices, and Nvidia claims that the ultra-low voltage design of the new processor will allow for ten consecutive hours of HD-quality video playback or one hundred hours of MP3 audio playback. Which is nice.

The device is, as mentioned, only a prototype at the moment. If Nvidia can find a partner willing to tick as many geeky boxes with a retail product as they have done with their prototype, they can certainly put me in the queue for one.

Tempted by a multimedia handset that can interface with an HDTV, or do you just use your phone to make calls? Share your thoughts over in the forums.

LVMike 18th February 2008, 08:43 Quote
i think it would be a cool handset..... but i doubt i would see one in the mobile phone back water that is the United States.
mmorgue 18th February 2008, 09:26 Quote
As nice as it is in terms of techie goodness, I really only want a "phone" and not a cinema with only a 3inch screen :/

If technology gets to the point where phones can create a more stable/solid screen bigger than the phone itself such as projected screens ( as in a much more advanced version of Io2Technology) then maybe I'd be more for it.

But instead, how about focus on longer battery times, better signal receptions, clearer voice quality and slim technology.

I personally have no interest in watching HDTV videos on a tiny screen.
UncertainGod 18th February 2008, 09:34 Quote
I am now putting off my handset upgrade until phones running this chipset hit the market.
bahgger 18th February 2008, 10:27 Quote
I don't quite see how I'd use the 720p, but the graphics features would be a welcome feature :)
rjkoneill 18th February 2008, 11:59 Quote
this is one of those "cool to have" things - but i doubt it would benefit my life in any way shape or form

if i want to play a game - i have three consoles and a pc
if i want to watch a video on the go i will watch it on my ipod
if i want to watch 720p high def video - i wouldnt feel like i was benefiting from it unless it was on a big screen
Dracyr 18th February 2008, 13:19 Quote
is this more powerful then a psp?
Bluephoenix 18th February 2008, 16:16 Quote
only use this has in in devices like the iPhone.

just give me a simple phone I can stick to the side of my head like a piece of tape, maybe with a little OLED screen and keypad on my wrist for dailing and messaging., I'd be perfectly happy with that. no need for any fancy stuff
TomH 18th February 2008, 19:17 Quote
Android anyone? :D
Crazyglue 18th February 2008, 22:19 Quote
this is pretty neat and all, but when is asus gonna come out with their external video card :-(
Ninja_182 19th February 2008, 07:23 Quote
I think the people commenting on how 720p on such a small device is a seemingly irrelevant feature are missing the point that it can output 720p to an external device such as your HDTV. I myself watch countless standard definition videos off my housemate's Zen on my tv and i have on occasion used my ipod for the same thing but they have all been missing the higher quality the TV is capable of. This device can display high definition (if you view 720 as that) on a tv in much the same way.

Think of it as more of a portable HD-DVD player