Lite-On developing malleable mouse

Lite-On developing malleable mouse

The malleable mouse concept art shows some styles that look pretty darn uncomfortable to me.

Lite-On, perhaps better known for optical drives, is planning to launch a 'moldable mouse' that promises to put an end to GUI-users discomfort.

The concept is to build a mouse lightweight modelling clay covered with a nylon/polyurethane fabric, with the idea being that you can mould the peripheral into whatever shape your little heart desires, tailoring it precisely to the contours of your hand in a way that just isn't possible with pre-formed plastic peripherals. In one fell swoop the company hopes to eliminate finger strain and carpal-tunnel syndrome associated with mouse usage.

Well, that's the plan. Should this thing ever make it to market I predict a barrage of YouTube videos feature breast- and penis-shaped pointers being brandished by a veritable horde of giggly teens.

Mucky mice aside, the clever part of the concept – aside from being able to squish the mouse when you get angry – comes from the buttons and scrollwheel, which are RFID-tagged wireless units that can be stuck anywhere on the surface of the mouse meaning you can truly design your own layout. Sadly, you're limited to two buttons and a scrollpad-style wheel at the moment.

After winning a Red-Dot Award for the concept design Lite-On is looking to bring the radical peripheral to market, although there's no news yet as to a release date.

An innovative idea, or is it just going to end up on the same scrap heap as roll-up rubber keyboards? Give us your thoughts over in the forums.

noobarino 4th February 2008, 08:53 Quote
penis mouse ftw
zelox991 4th February 2008, 09:09 Quote
ha..i like the car shift one...cool!
UncertainGod 4th February 2008, 09:31 Quote
Interesting idea.
HourBeforeDawn 4th February 2008, 09:53 Quote
yes this is a very interesting idea.
DXR_13KE 4th February 2008, 10:02 Quote
indeed.... i hope they release a version with more buttons..... and that this one does not disintegrate in your hands....
chicorasia 4th February 2008, 10:17 Quote
Nice concept.

I wonder if it will hold up to 39ºC summer days without getting all yucky.
Woodstock 4th February 2008, 10:50 Quote
sorry but there is no way, i want to be using a mouse with modeling clay on it,
Sebbo 4th February 2008, 11:50 Quote
its certainly interesting... takes the interchangable grips on logitech's G9 to a new level...
Firehed 4th February 2008, 15:09 Quote
Well if they do it right... but they probably won't so no matter.
Delphium 4th February 2008, 16:20 Quote
Hmmm interesting, at least it could double up as a stress ball for when ya might be epicly loosing hehe.
Cptn-Inafinus 4th February 2008, 17:40 Quote
I see this being taken up in offices very swiftly.
lamboman 4th February 2008, 18:08 Quote
This will almost definitely be popular with women. Don't really think that it will have many other uses. As a mouse, na, my G5 is amazing thanks.
Tyinsar 4th February 2008, 18:10 Quote
Concept = (it reminds me of of the DX1 keypad system)
Functionality of final product = :? (I guess we'll have to wait & see)
johnmustrule 4th February 2008, 22:37 Quote
CLAY??! there's far more advanced and better moldable materials to use including some that can stiffen using a small electric current I can just imagine this thing melting in in my hand as I use it. Nothing worse than a deformed booby when your sniping, none the less this could be really cool if they do it right.
Dreaming 5th February 2008, 01:12 Quote
I don't see this beating any of the top range mice out there - afterall it's just an idea of how it could work, it's not going to be refined in the first instance. Also, I expect it to be pretty expensive for what it is. Interesting, yes - but I don't think it'd be a sensible purchase for anything other than the novelty factor.
Gravemind123 5th February 2008, 04:15 Quote
Originally Posted by Dreaming

The fact that you can make your mouse look like all sorts of immaturely humorous things makes it totally worth getting if you have the money!