Dell, HP introduce new monitors

Dell, HP introduce new monitors

No, the webcam is not in a giant box on top of the SP2008WFP. That is a zoomed in view. (source: Engadget)

For the longest time here at bit-tech, Dell monitors held a special place in many of our hearts. Well for those of you that have been faithful but are ready for an upgrade, the wait may be over.

Dell has introduced its new SP2008WFP monitor that sports a 20-inch screen with a native 1680 x 1050 resolution. It also has a 2000:1 contrast ratio that is well above the 800:1 ratio that available models come in. An HDCP compliant DVI connection, optional soundbar, four USB ports and a built in 2 megapixel webcam round out the features.

A release date of September 12 is set but pricing is currently unavailable.

If 20 inches isn't big enough for you, then check out HP's new offering.

Coming in at 24 inches and a native 1920 x 1200 resolution, the HP w2408 also features an HDCP compliant DVI connection and four USB ports. A contrast ratio of 1000:1 and a 92 percent wide colour gamut should fill the needs of you graphical designers out there. The monitor also features an adjustable stand that will allow you to place the screen exactly where you want it.

Of course the meat behind the monitor is the ability to rotate it from landscape to portrait mode to enable you to work on those extra long documents without having to scroll down.

If you're wanting one of these now, you can pick one up now for $560 in the states or for less then £350 the UK if you shop around.

Does a rotational monitor fancy you or are you sticking with what you already have? Go ahead and tell us what monitor is your favourite over in the forums or in the comment section below.

WildTangent 5th September 2007, 05:21 Quote
I'll stick with my 24" Samsung, thanks :)
DarkLord7854 5th September 2007, 05:44 Quote
No, the webcam is not in a giant box on top of the SP2008WFP.

That woulda been badass :)
r0z|3o0n 5th September 2007, 07:58 Quote
I would rather the webcam was optional. I prefer as minimalistic a bezel as I can get... hence my crappy samsung 17" lcds :)

Triple monitor for the win....
NaThRo 5th September 2007, 07:59 Quote
I'll stick with my Viewsonic VX2025.
It has served me well.
Aankhen 5th September 2007, 08:08 Quote
That HP sounds nice. Anyone care to lend me, uh, $560, for something completely unrelated? :)
Fod 5th September 2007, 08:28 Quote
£350 for a panel that's identical specs-wise to the dell 2407wfp-HC?

i smell a head-to-head test... *nudges bit-tech*
flabber 5th September 2007, 09:30 Quote
I always liked the price-feature ratio that de Dell has with it's monitors... the only thing that ever prevented me from buying one (I had one, but sold it) is that they don't pay enough attention to details. A little better designed monitor would make their monitors an instant all over hit for everyone I think :)
<A88> 5th September 2007, 11:11 Quote
Nice spec upgrade, and the webcams are a welcome, if perhaps not nescessary, feature. However I do feel the aesthetics are a bit of a step backwards- what happened to the V stand at the bottom? The whole thing just looks a bit generic now.

<A88>
DXR_13KE 5th September 2007, 14:44 Quote
competition is a good thing.
cosmic 5th September 2007, 16:00 Quote
This new 24 inch monitor panel seems to be driving the market to a new quality level. Now all we need is a few more pixels on 19 and 20 inch panels so that we can get 1080p on something a bit smaller and cheaper. Still, £350 for a quality 24 inch monitor seems good value, time for a round up review of 24 inch screens. The HP will not be available until mid October
Atomic 5th September 2007, 16:25 Quote
Quite funky! Wonder if the camera is OS X compatable...
completemadness 5th September 2007, 18:08 Quote
my dell screen has all those features (bar webcam, and HDMI - not that i want either of them) and it only cost like £50 more 2-3 years ago
TGImages 5th September 2007, 19:17 Quote
I'm running dual 20". One in landscape and one in portrait. The landscape is great for most work, the portrait is where all my development, word and PDF documents go. It really is quite useful and functional this way once you get used to the odd shaped desktop.
WildTangent 5th September 2007, 21:00 Quote
That HP monitor is way overpriced. My Samsung 245BW is currently $400 CAD. Sure it lacks Component and USB and such... but who cares? It's the panel quality I'm after and this seems identical specs-wise to the new HP monitor. 1000:1 contrast, 5ms response time, 400cd/m2 brightness... all more than good enough. That $560 price tag is in USD, yes? Rip-off.