bit-tech.net

New Haze footage released

New Haze footage released

Haze will be leading on the PlayStation 3 later this year, but will also be released on the PC.

It's been a while since we last got a good look at Haze, but the game is still looking as good as ever - better even if the new footage from E3 is anything to go by.

Haze casts players as Shane Carpenter, a man who works as a soldier in the private army of The Mantel Corporation. Shane works as a force for good in the world, or so he believes, righting wrongs and fighting terrorists.

However, not all is black and white in Haze and Shane is quickly pulled down into a world of infinite, indecipherable greys where he can be certain of nothing. Things are made even more complicated by his use of the performance enhancing drug, Nectar, which gives him and his fellow troopers an edge in combat - allowing them to slow down time, hit with increased accuracy, strike with superhuman strength and anticipate incoming dangers.

Of course, nothing is ever as simple as it first appears and players are invited to see the bad side of Nectar both in terms of gameplay and narrative.

For example, overdosing on Nectar forces players into a rage so that they cannot distinguish friend or foe and will fire indiscriminately, forcing other players in co-op mode, which is supported on both platforms, to make a choice about whether to kill their fellow squaddies.

Nectar also acts as an inditement of videogame violence as, when using it, enemies die quickly and painlessly - just like in a game. Lift your visor and take a break from the drug however and the world is thrown into grim, overbearing colors and enemy deaths are shown in all their grim brutality.

Combining strong, adult themes and some excellent looking gameplay, Haze is looking to be the game which may sway even the most ardent anti-Sony writers over to the PlayStation 3, on which the game will lead before a release on PC also.

Don't just take our word for it though, check out the trailer which we've kindly provided and make your mind up for yourself.


Do game violence and adult themes go together, or do you prefer your games to be a simpler, run 'n' gun affair? Let us know in the forums.

23 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
DXR_13KE 12th July 2007, 11:22 Quote
the PS3 is getting some nice games.... i await lower prices and reviews.
Jamie 12th July 2007, 11:32 Quote
Very promising title, I hope it comes to the 360 at some point.
Bladestorm 12th July 2007, 11:37 Quote
The PC gamer article talked a little about how the "terrorists" apparently have also gotten a hold of nectar and aren't afraid to use it in traps, to force already dosing mantel soldiers to overdose, so as to make the player have to think even more about what they are doing, which sounded neat :)
DarkLord7854 12th July 2007, 11:38 Quote
Loving the HUD plus visor and all :)
MR BUNGLE 12th July 2007, 11:47 Quote
Looks very nice..:D
- Was hoping for more features to differenciate it from other FPS games though...

Having said that, I have great respect for Free Radical: the Timesplitters series were the best shooters on PS2 by a long way IMO!

Hmm... looks like the decent games are finally coming up for the PS3.... Must... Resist.. Buying....

Nahh - STILL too damn expensive!
atanum141 12th July 2007, 12:18 Quote
Is it me or was that boring as ****?
Looks like a broke-ass version of Crysis.
CardJoe 12th July 2007, 12:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladestorm
The PC gamer article talked a little about how the "terrorists" apparently have also gotten a hold of nectar and aren't afraid to use it in traps, to force already dosing mantel soldiers to overdose, so as to make the player have to think even more about what they are doing, which sounded neat :)

Been speaking to Rob Newcombe (the writer, very cool guy) recently and he confirmed this. They use 'Nectar grenades' and can shoot you in the Nectar pack to force overdoses, among other things.
Gunsmith 12th July 2007, 13:55 Quote
nice to see a pistol that sounds meaty
Duste 12th July 2007, 14:22 Quote
Lol @ graphical bug on the top of the visor. g0t stretch?
wafflesomd 12th July 2007, 14:50 Quote
I guess the name Haze comes from the over-used bloom effect.
CardJoe 12th July 2007, 14:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd
I guess the name Haze comes from the over-used bloom effect.

This was the first question I asked Rob when I first met him. It's called Haze because of the blurred line between right and wrong and also because of so called 'Hazing rituals' in the military which play a role in the game.
Fod 12th July 2007, 15:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflesomd
I guess the name Haze comes from the over-used bloom effect.

uh, i think that's a compass.
devdevil85 12th July 2007, 16:23 Quote
The ATV scene didn't seem realistic. The gun looked too easy to aim...I mean you're stuck on the side of an ATV bouncing up and down and side to side and yet you can still aim just as good as if you were sitting on a still object. Hopefully they add more shakiness to scenes like that....it also reminded me of Halo just a little, but until I see it in-person I won't judge...and in regards to it being a broke-ass Crysis, Crysis is going to take a $1700+ rig (and Windows Vista) in order to play it at the same resolution the PS3 will allow you play this game at and without Vista.....
DXR_13KE 12th July 2007, 19:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdevil85
Crysis is going to take a $1700+ rig (and Windows Vista) in order to play it at the same resolution the PS3 will allow you play this game at and without Vista.....

can you please me with the source of that info?
TheEclypse 12th July 2007, 19:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by atanum141
Is it me or was that boring as ****?
Looks like a broke-ass version of Crysis.

Pretty much what I thought.
devdevil85 12th July 2007, 21:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE
can you please me with the source of that info?
How about you find me information stating that in order to run Crysis at the same quality as Haze on PS3 you won't have to spend atleast $1700 on a new rig. I mean seriously, you're gonna need atleast SLI/Crossfire, a Quad-Core CPU, probably the fastest Hard Drive (Raptor or Raided HD's), atleast 2 High Performance DDR2/DD3 Memory modules, a nice soundcard (preferrably Creative's new Audigy series), of course a nice case (atleast I would hope you'd try and show it off), and of course a motherboard that would allow for all of these components. The demo-rig that Crytek was using was of course top-of-the-line and if you want to play the game at the crazy-nice resolutions that they were showing off, or maybe even up to the resolution that the PS3 will be putting out for Haze at 1080p, (and unless you are some super crazy, black market, clearence/sale bargain shopper) you will have to spend at the least $1700 on a new rig. Please don't make me go to Newegg and price everything out......
ElZog 12th July 2007, 21:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdevil85
How about you find me information stating that in order to run Crysis at the same quality as Haze on PS3 you won't have to spend atleast $1700 on a new rig. I mean seriously, you're gonna need atleast SLI/Crossfire, a Quad-Core CPU, probably the fastest Hard Drive (Raptor or Raided HD's), atleast 2 High Performance DDR2/DD3 Memory modules, a nice soundcard (preferrably Creative's new Audigy series), of course a nice case (atleast I would hope you'd try and show it off), and of course a motherboard that would allow for all of these components. The demo-rig that Crytek was using was of course top-of-the-line and if you want to play the game at the crazy-nice resolutions that they were showing off, or maybe even up to the resolution that the PS3 will be putting out for Haze at 1080p, (and unless you are some super crazy, black market, clearence/sale bargain shopper) you will have to spend at the least $1700 on a new rig. Please don't make me go to Newegg and price everything out......


Ok then go to newegg, price everything, then reprice it at ebuyer so we get a UK price translation to learn how badly shafted we get, maybe then use Xi.com and an excel spreadsheet to convert these prices into all the world currencies, and also post component pictures.
DXR_13KE 12th July 2007, 22:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdevil85
*snip*

this remembers me when people went running around like headless chickens when HL2 was to get out, thinking they would need the most insane rigs, and then when it hit it was so much optimized that my stupid computer, at the time a P4 1.5Ghz, MX200 and 512Mb ram, ran it very nicely at medium detail and a computer a friend had, OCed P4 @ 2.2GHz, TI4800 and 512Mb ram, ran it at almost top detail..... at a time were series 6 was standard.

i bet with you that a current rig with a single 8800gtx and a core 2 duo E6600 and 2Gb of simple corsair or kingston memory on a nice mobo will run it quite nicely at 1920x1080 at comfortable FPS.


when i asked you the foundations of your statement i was intrigued because it seamed that you knew the minimum and recommended system requirements for crysis ..... but hey... it seams you have only speculation that i will require a cray to play the game.

edit: considering your nationality i will question you if you would find the PS3 cheap if they asked you $1,870 for it like they do in Brazil... (the XBOX 360 is also sold at a high price of $1,586)..... or at $995 like they get it in Denmark..... i am one of the lucky ones and have to pay $807 for something you pay $500 ..... hey.... its tradition for Sony to have fun with us.....
Skill3d 12th July 2007, 23:34 Quote
hmz for the price of a 8800gtx + PSU for it, I can get a PS3 + game o_0 but OT, the game looks pretty nice... Perhaps a title to remember

a PS3 costs like 600 euro's here (+/- 825 US$) in hongkong they pay like 375 US$ wh00t! EU gets owned by Sony?!
DXR_13KE 13th July 2007, 00:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skill3d
hmz for the price of a 8800gtx + PSU for it, I can get a PS3 + game o_0

not if you are in Brazil.... :p
automagsrock 17th July 2007, 05:15 Quote
This game looks awesome. I think I'll get it for my PC as opposed to me PS3 as I have yet to get my PS3 on the internet.


Will be keeping my eye on this one :)
Amon 17th July 2007, 06:03 Quote
Where can we expect to buy haze? (the substance)
CardJoe 17th July 2007, 07:34 Quote
Later this year on PS3, PC is a bit way off yet.

I have a can of Nectar sitting in my fridge which I found yesterday :D Blatantly just relabelled Reb Bull, but still cool.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums