bit-tech.net

Mounds of acrylic

The original plan was to polish all of the edges, after some really good advice I went for flame polishing. The results were really good. However, as I was test fitting the pieces and I noticed that the edges that were not yet polished were giving a really nice effect.

D33P Thought by A Souter Mounds of acrylic D33P Thought by A Souter Mounds of acrylic
Click to enlarge

The frosted edges were giving the shape more definition and the lines contrasted with each other. I asked for opinions and there were enough people who were following the project to give me an honest reply.

D33P Thought by A Souter Mounds of acrylic D33P Thought by A Souter Mounds of acrylic
Click to enlarge

When I had finished the radiator towers I test fitted the Koolance radiators, I liked these a lot but the colour seemed to be drawing in all the light and I really wanted the towers to stand out. Luckily the community helped me out and I had some really good suggestions and I decided to change the radiators to a bare metal version. These have clear chambers in each end and looked much better than the others.

This seemed to be a turning point, as the build was finally taking shape and the concept was much easier to understand. I gained a lot of support from some very well respected modders, there’s only so much you can explain with a simple sketch and a pile of unfinished sanding.

D33P Thought by A Souter Mounds of acrylic D33P Thought by A Souter Mounds of acrylic
Click to enlarge

As the build progressed the need to house a DVD drive and the fan controller needed to be addressed, I was originally going to do some vertical brackets and mount them in much the same way as with any other commercially available case, but I was going to build them in the shape of a number 42.

D33P Thought by A Souter Mounds of acrylic D33P Thought by A Souter Mounds of acrylic
Click to enlarge

After some sketches, again I had the unsatisfying feeling that it just wasn’t right and didn’t suit the build. The answer was simple, very effective and something different. The idea was to mirror the front panel into the case. This also solved another problem of bracing the motherboard tray and stopping it from sagging.