bit-tech.net

Neptune's Trident by Brian Carter

Design and Early Modding

With the number three in mind, I devised a case concept featuring three wrap-around vertical windows and, in order to facilitate three single 120mm radiators and fans, a never-before-seen three-hole design for the lower compartment.

When I told my sponsor, Moddersmart, my idea, they were very enthusiastic and said it would be perfect to debut Primochill’s newest product, the T3 Typhoon reservoir/pump system. I agreed, and revised my case design to better showcase the bay-mounted reservoirs.

About this time I was toying with different names for the project, and settled on Neptune’s Trident because it eluded to the number three and also had watery overtones. So I reworked the wrap-around window utilizing an abstract trident shape which lent itself very nicely to featuring the three T3 bay reservoirs.

Neptune's Trident by Brian Carter Design and Early Modding Neptune's Trident by Brian Carter Design and Early Modding
Click to enlarge

Once I had the basic case concept ironed out in Sketchup, I went out to the garage and started hacking up the Lian Li donor case. I pretty much gutted the entire thing in order to make room for all the components that were going to go in.

Neptune's Trident by Brian Carter Design and Early Modding Neptune's Trident by Brian Carter Design and Early Modding
Click to enlarge

Firstly I addressed the side panels, cutting the window and pass-through holes in both panels. In order to provide a smooth transition into the lower holes, I added spacers to the inside of the side panels using U-channel, which also gave the illusion of them being 1/2in thick all around.

Neptune's Trident by Brian Carter Design and Early Modding Neptune's Trident by Brian Carter Design and Early Modding
Click to enlarge

Neptune's Trident by Brian Carter Design and Early Modding Neptune's Trident by Brian Carter Design and Early Modding
Click to enlarge

The next step was to re-orient the power supply to make room for all the radiators in the lower compartment. As luck would have it, the power supply fitted nicely mounted vertically, and would be able to receive fresh air from the back of the case. All it needed was a new back panel with a 140mm blowhole. The bottom of the case was modified to accept the new PSU mounting plate.