Foreword by: Antony Leather
Asus' Rampage II Gene LGA1366 motherboard has proven to be very popular in the modding community. Being micro-ATX it's small so fits into tiny scratch builds like this, but it certainly doesn't lack on looks or overclocking ability sporting both in abundance. We've played with it extensively here at bit-tech and we've never failed to be impressed with Asus' latest micro-ATX ROG motherboard.
Keen to pimp out their pride and joy, Asus approached bit-tech's own forum member Sleepstreamer (aka 'Mad' Max Erlandsson) with a request to build a case worthy of this mini Core i7 bundle of joy. With previous projects such as HTPC Mod, MCE2.0 and Cold Fusion already under his belt, who better to make Asus proud!
Asus did state some strict requirements though that would need some careful forethought on how to get a high end system into a small, compact case. Given his previous mods however, we don't think this should be too much of a problem. It's over to Sleepstreamer.
So I'm at it again it seems, this time it's a case ordered by ASUS for their spanking new Rampage II Gene Motherboard. The only basic demands they had is that it should be fairly compact, and it should be able to fit long, high-end graphic cards.That's not a very long list so I started to draw things up, and after some consultations I quickly came up with some early designs that everyone agreed upon.
I didn't manage to take any pictures of the actual cutting of these first pieces, but there's not that much to see really, honest. It simply involved cutting the material to size, clamping it onto the router, setting up the machine and you're ready to go.
Click to enlarge
Some solid 25x10mm Aluminium bars were used as framework for the chassis, with one M5 thread in each end. I continued with the basic structure of the case, milled the middle and the bottom piece from a sheet of 5mm aluminium. I also engraved the ASUS logo into the bottom part.
Click to enlarge
ASUS also wanted some red details in there to fit the theme of the motherboard, so I decided to make the mounting-plate for it from 5mm blood-red acrylic.