bit-tech.net

Hypercube² Part II

Hypercube² Part II Power Supply


POWER SUPPLY


Because of the initial \"core idea\" one of the hardest parts for me to tackle was the PSU. It had to be inside of the core, and it is going to be totally customised. I started with a 400W PSU from Tybotech.


Hypercube² Part II Power Supply Hypercube² Part II Power Supply
After totally dismantling it, it looked like this. I made sure there wasn\'t any current left in the PSU. I should warn everybody that it is really dangerous opening up a PSU, and if you don\'t know what you are doing then just don\'t do it. A power supply can store a lethal voltage even when it is unplugged.


Hypercube² Part II Power Supply Hypercube² Part II Power Supply
During the process of the mod, a few people on the bit-tech forums warned me about EMI radiation from the PSU that could possibly harm the hard drives - the PSU sits right in between the two hard drives and the radiation could corrupt the HD\'s. Because of space issues, I was removing the PSU\'s guts and thus losing all the shielding provided by the metal chassis. Some quick research into EMI produced a solution: my own custom radiation shield, otherwise known as a metal plate :-)


Hypercube² Part II Power Supply Hypercube² Part II Power Supply
I just used standard motherboard standoffs to screw the plate in place


Hypercube² Part II Power Supply Hypercube² Part II Power Supply
A perfect fit. I will do the same behind the rheobus that will come on the other side. The two hard drives should be safe... I hope.


Hypercube² Part II Power Supply Hypercube² Part II Power Supply
Hypercube² Part II Power Supply Hypercube² Part II Power Supply
Figuring out which cables I needed was pretty hard for me. I was pretty sure I could cut the P4 connector because it is an AMD mobo. I sleeved one pair of cables and ended them with a connector. From there I could devide the power I needed for the two hard disks and the DVD drive.


Hypercube² Part II Power Supply
A little custom sleeving for the harddisks. I used the same method as the sleeving for the backfans.