Here is a list of the applications we've used for our testing - most of them are available free for public consumption, although some are popular professional software applications.
Following demand from the bit-tech
community, we have included 7-Zip as well as WinRAR in our benchmarks as it is another popular, free, file compression tool.
We've used Windows Vista 64-bit SP1, as this is the most flexible and reliable 64-bit OS for testing the applications above.
It's impossible to construct a set of test kit that's common across LGA1366 and Socket AM3, but we have strived to keep as many components consistent as possible:
- Zotac GeForce GTX 280 graphics card (ForceWare 185,68)
- 160GB Seagate Barracude 7200.9 hard disk
- Antec TruePower Quattro 850W PSU
Intel LGA1366 (Core i7) Hardware
- Asus P6T Deluxe
- 6GB (3 x 2GB) OCZ Blade PC3-1600 memory (1,600MHz, CL7 DDR3)
- Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366RT
AMD Socket AM3 (Phenom II, Athlon II) Hardware
- MSI 790FX-GD70 motherboard
- 4GB (2 x 2GB) Corsair XMS3-1600 memory (1,600MHz, CL9 DDR3)
- Noctua NH-C12P modded with Sunon 120 x 38mm high-airflow fan