Read all about it!
Since we launched the new bit-tech
site in May, one of our key new focuses has been on coverage of current technology news and events. We have a News section
which you can access from the menu bar, and news is also displayed on index pages for the other sections on the site.
This coverage has proved enormously popular, with some of the most popular things on the site in recent months having been published in the News section.
However, we only have so many pairs of eyes, and only slightly more fingers. Inevitably, we can't keep up with all the developments around the world, 24/7. Sometimes we miss things. Sometimes, the coolest stuff on the web, the best info, is hidden away in some little corner of the net where nobody in the media spots it at all.
Lend us a hand!
This is where you guys come in. We have put up a page where you can send in news tips and articles to bit-tech
. That page is here:
The idea is this - sites like Slashdot
and even places like HardOCP
have excellent news coverage because of the reader contribution to the site. We want our readers to feel like they can contribute to bit-tech
, and help to make it a better place to come for tech news.
So, if you see something cool, let us know about it. It might be a 'breaking news event' like Apple's latest product unveiling. It might be a funky hack, hidden in a corner of the interweb, or a cool mod on an obscure forum. It could be something mainstream, like a round-up of the best reviews on a new graphics card. Whatever it is, write it up and let us know.
Your story can be as simple as a link with a couple of sentences describing it, or as complicated as a full-on article written in the bit-tech
style. It's up to you.
We're really keen that this takes off. It will make bit-tech
a better place for you all to read, for one, and it will give you an opportunity to get your name up in lights on the site, too. And if that wasn't enough, we have a prize.
XFX have kindly sent over an NVIDIA 7800 GTX card - simply, the reader who consistently sends in cool news and stories for the next month - through to November 12 - gets the card. Simple proposition, huh? Just to tantalise you, the card is pictured below.
Additionally, 10 runners up will each win bit-tech
mini cable kits, case badges and a XFX goodie bag.
So, what are you waiting for? Head over to the News Submission page
and see what you can come up with!
Guidelines for news submissions
- News submissions must be made in English, and sent via this page.
- Submissions will be judged for publishing on various criteria including topic, writing style, wit, timing, completeness and many other factors. A long story isn't always better than a short one.
- Think: Who? What? When? Where? How?
- A good story provides the basic facts, relevant background information, links for additional reading, and some analysis.
- Proof read your story. Check the spelling & grammar.
- Submissions may contain quotes from other sources, but these must be credited. Plagiarism will not be tolerated, and entrants found guilty will be disqualified.
- You may enter as many times as you wish. If your first story was not published, try again. It may have been too similar to another story, or judged less relevant than others received around the same time. Experiment with different topics. Fortune favours the bold.
- This competition is open to all bit-tech readers globally
- By submitting a story, the author verifies that it is his/her own original composition, and permits bit-tech to publish it on www.bit-tech.net should they so choose.
- Regrettably, not all submissions can be published. Successful submissions will be published within 48 hours.
- Submissions must be received by 12:00 GMT Saturday 12th November, 2005 to qualify.
- All published stories will be considered. The writer of the best story or stories, in the Editor's opinion, will receive one XFX 7800 GTX PCI Express graphics card. No cash alternative will be offered.
- The Editor's decision is final.
- The prize will be shipped to the winner at bit-tech's expense; however any resulting import tax and/or duty will be the responsibility of the winner.
- Questions can be posted in this Forum thread.