To get the most out of the wood and its beautiful grain, I needed a finish that would bring out the subtleties. For this, I used the same method I’ve used on all my projects for the last couple years (including Sangaku). The finish basically is a rubbed polyurethane.
I use regular polyurethane, oil based, and I wipe a generous amount on the wood. I then use wet/dry sand paper and sand the finish into the wood. I wait until it starts to dry and wipe it off.
This tends to buff it at the same time. I wait until it dries and sand it some more. I do this repeatedly with finer and finer grits until I get the desired shine at around four or five coats and 800-grit sand paper.
Once the finishing was completed, I assembled the frame.
Last Minute Woodwork
I’d like to say that everything went perfectly with the wood and I planned everything out to the T. I, however, overlooked a very crucial detail that I discovered in the late stages of the aluminium construction. The way the case is built, nothing can stick out of the back or front panels to allow the wood to slide over. This was impossible with the current design as the back bottom cross piece gets in the way. The only way to get around this was to cut it off, as heart breaking as that was.
I then made the back piece removable by making two pins, putting a bit of steel on them, and neodymium magnets on the cross piece. This holds it in place while making it easily removable to take the wood on and off.
With the woodwork out of the way, I had to make the acrylic panels for the top and sides. This was no simple task, but it turned out all right. I then had to cut the hole for the top fan and spray-glue the paper onto the panels.