How we tested
As always, we did our best to deliver a clean set of benchmarks, with each test repeated three times and an average of those results is what we’re reporting here. In the rare case where performance was inconsistent, we continued repeating the test until we got three results that were consistent.
The tests performed are a mixture of custom in-game timedemos and manually played sections with FRAPS to record the average and minimum frame rates. We strive to not only record real-world performance you will actually see, but also present the results in a manner that is easy to digest.
Intel Core i7 Test System
Intel Core i7 940 processor (operating at 3,709MHz – 22x168.6MHz); MSI Eclipse SLI motherboard (Intel X58 Express with three PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slots); 3x 2GB Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 memory modules (operating in dual channel at DDR3 1,349.4MHz 9-9-9-24-1T); Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 250GB SATA hard drive; Corsair HX1000W PSU; Windows Vista Home Premium x86-64 (with Service Pack 1); Intel inf 126.96.36.1997 WHQL.
Nvidia graphics cards
- Gainward Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 1,792MB - operating at 576/1242/1998 using Forceware 185.68 WHQL
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 1,792MB - operating at 576/1242/1998 using Forceware 185.68 WHQL
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 1GB – operating at 648/1,476/2,484MHz using Forceware 185.68 WHQL
- Nvidia GeForce GTX 275 896MB – operating at 633/1,404/2,268MHz using Forceware 185.68 WHQL
ATI graphics cards
- Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 Vapor-X 2GB - operating at 850/4,200MHz using Catalyst 9.4 WHQL
- Sapphire Radeon HD 4890 1GB Atomic – operating at 1000/4,200MHz using Catalyst 9.4 WHQL
- AMD ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB – operating at 850/3,900MHz using Catalyst 9.4 WHQL
- AMD ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB – operating at 750/3,600MHz using Catalyst 9.4 WHQL
- Fallout 3, version 188.8.131.52 with DirectX 9.0
- Far Cry 2, version 1.02 with DirectX 10/10.1
- Crysis, version 1.21 (64-bit) with DirectX 10
- Call of Duty: World at War, version 1.3.1080 with DirectX 9.0
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky, version 1.5.07 with DirectX 10/10.1