Gameplay Evaluations - How We Tested:There are no timedemos used in our evaluations - we're focusing on the real-world gameplay experience. Ultimately, this is what should determine your next video card purchase.
We have split our video card evaluations into two sections. Two games are tested in our "Best Playable" detail settings, taking both CRT and 24" widescreen LCD gamers into account. The second part of our evaluation focuses on apples to apples comparisons.
Because the benchmarks are done manually, there are slight differences between runs. However, we have run each benchmarking scenario through enough times to get consistent average and minimum frame rates. We recorded results for comparison at 1920x1200, 1600x1200 and 1280x1024.
In the "Best Playable" section of the evaluation, you will not go far wrong by following the logic that the higher the resolution and in game details, the faster the video card.
NVIDIA GeForce 7-series System Setup
- BFG Tech GeForce 7900 GT OC - operating at its default clock speeds of 475/1360MHz;
- XFX GeForce 7900 GT XXX Edition - operating at its default clock speeds of 560/1650MHz;
- BFG Tech GeForce 7800 GT OC - operating at its default clock speeds of 425/1050MHz.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (operating at 2200MHz, 11x200MHz); ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe (NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16); 2 x 1GB Corsair XMS4000 Pro (operating in dual channel at 200MHz with 2.0-3-3-7 1T timings); Western Digital Raptor 74GB, 10000RPM SATA 150 Hard disk drive; OCZ PowerStream 520W Power Supply; Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2; DirectX 9.0c; NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 standalone version 6.82 WHQL; NVIDIA beta Forceware version 84.43.
We use the following abbreviations on our best-playable settings tables:
- TSS AA - Transparency SuperSampled antialiasing (NVIDIA GeForce 7 series);
- TMS AA - Transparency MultiSampled antialiasing (NVIDIA GeForce 7 series);
- HQ Driver - High Quality Driver Settings to remove noticeable texture shimmering in certain titles (NVIDIA);