Innovative technologies found in the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000 series drove increased demand from notebook manufacturers, spurring an 87.27% increase in sales quarter-over-quarter1
SUNNYVALE, Calif. — August 18, 2009 — AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced that according to the latest industry data, notebook manufacturers have chosen ATI Mobility Radeon™ Premium graphics processors to drive more than half of today’s discrete graphics notebooks. The data for mobile discrete graphics reveals a 36.5% market share gain, and 87.27% more units sold quarter-over-quarter through the first six months of 2009.1 AMD now holds the “Number 1” position with an overall 53% mobile discrete market share. The incredible momentum behind ATI Mobility Radeon Premium graphics processors is a result of:
· Advanced performance, leading features, and innovative technology delivered by the ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000 series of graphics processors, such as ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4530 and ATI Mobility Radeon™ 4670, including support for the latest Microsoft DirectX® 10.1 enabling a home theater-quality HD multimedia experience, and an energy-efficient design for long battery life at work, at home or at play.
· With well over 200 design wins of current and future commitments from leading manufacturers worldwide, customer adoption of the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4000 series of graphics processors has increased across a wide range of mobile discrete notebook segments, including the HP Pavilion dv6T, Alienware M17, Acer Aspire 5739G, Toshiba Satellite M500, Sony VAIO FW Series, Samsung R522, Asus W90Vp-X1, MSI GX623 and Dell Studio 15 -- a balanced portfolio of AMD- and competitor-based notebook platforms.
· An augmented presence in retail, including Best Buy Canada and Future Shop with a focus on the HP Pavilion dv6 Artist Edition Entertainment Notebook PC featuring AMD Turion™ Ultra X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor and ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650 graphics.
“As consumers’ increasingly demand greater visual computing capabilities in their notebooks, the market for discrete graphics is only expected to grow,” said Dr. Jon Peddie, founder and principal, Jon Peddie Research. “The increase in volume in the second quarter of this year, and in AMD’s mobile discrete market share, is a testament to consumers’ appetite for visual computing, and manufacturers’ readiness to satisfy it as we move into what has traditionally been the busiest season of the year.”
“AMD has worked diligently to introduce technology that gives people an incredibly compelling visual experience on a notebook platform, and the latest market data showing the phenomenal uptake of ATI Mobility Radeon™ based notebooks validates the quality of both our products and that experience,” said Matt Skynner, Vice President & General Manager, GPU Division, AMD. “We’re moving into the back-to-school and holiday seasons, and there’s also the upcoming Microsoft Windows® 7 operating system. AMD continues to provide the solutions for the mobile discrete market and ATI Mobility Radeon based notebooks.”
· Product information: ATI Mobility Radeon Premium graphics processors on AMD.com
· Customer products: ATI Mobility Radeon Premium graphics in customer products on AMD.com
· Pictures: ATI Mobility Radeon Premium graphics processors on Flickr
· Follow news from the ATI Graphics team on Twitter at @ATIGraphics
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit www.amd.com
1. According to Jon Peddie’s Market Watch report published by JPR, “First Quarter, 2009 – Graphics Semiconductor shipments and market activity”. Data shows Q2 unit growth of 87.27 % over Q1, 36.5% market share gain in Q2 over Q1, and a Q2 market share of 53%.
©2009, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, ATI, the ATI logo, AMD Turion, Mobility, Radeon and combinations thereof, are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. DirectX and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other jurisdictions. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.