Corsair has finally announced the Corsair Obsidian 250D, finally marking the company's entry into the mini-ITX case market.
Built from the ground up for the mini-ITX form factor, the Corsair Obsidian 250D is Corsair's smallest case to date, measuring just 290mm x 277mm x 351.2mm. This actually makes it noticeably smaller than the ever popular BitFenix Prodigy which boasts dimensions of 250 x 359 x 404mm.
Despite these tiny proportions the case still hosts a full compliment of standard performance hardware, as opposed to the even smaller EVGA Hadron Air
, which uses a custom power supply and slot loading drive to achieve its tiny dimensions.
The Corsair Obsidian 250D, then, houses a 5.25in drive bay, two tool-free 2.5/2.5in bays, two tool-free 2.5in bays and space for an ATX power supply, with 200mm of PSU clearance.
The front of the chassis also incorporates two USB 3.0 ports as well as headphone and microphone jacks, though there are no fan speed controls.
A 140mm and a 120mm fan are included while there is space for up to five fans in total. Watercooling is also catered for with space for a 120mm or 140mm radiator in the front and a 120mm or 240mm radiator on the side.
The design of the case would probably best be described as perfunctory. The simple black cuboid is set off by a brushed aluminium panel on the front and a set of cute angular feet, both of which hark back to the larger Obsidian cases, such as the Corsair Obsidian 750D
“Thanks to the increasingly high performance of Mini-ITX boards, it is now possible to build an extremely powerful yet compact system,” said Xavier Lauwaert, Director of Product Marketing at Corsair. “The Obsidian 250D is made for users who want a smaller PC but don’t want to limit their hardware choices. With support for large liquid coolers, full-length graphics cards and full-size modular power supplies, 250D is Mini-ITX without compromise.”
The Corsair Obsidian 250D release date is set for late January and it will be priced at $89.99, including a 2 year warranty.
Obsidian Series 250D Specifications
- Two expansion slots and 290mm of internal clearance allow the use of any current stock graphics card.
- Supports all modern ATX power supplies, with 200mm of PSU clearance
- Two tool-free 3.5”/2.5” combo bays
- Two tool-free 2.5” only bays
- Full-size 5.25” drive bay
- Two front mounted USB 3.0 ports for easy peripheral or external storage device connection.
Storage Layout Options
- Two high-airflow fans are included (1x AF140L and one 1x AF120L) for excellent airflow and low noise levels.
- Room for up to 5 fans
- Radiator compatibility: Front – 120mm or 140mm, Side - 120mm/240mm
Builder Friendly Features
- t]Modular toolless drive caddies can be accessed from the rear of the case.
- A pair of 3.5”/2.5” drives and two 2.5” only drives can be simultaneously mounted.
- Full-size 5.25” optical drive bay.
Dimensions and Weight
- Thumbscrew side panel removal and expansion slots.
- Tool-free 3.5”, 2.5”, and 5.25” drive bays.
- Easily accessible (and removable) front, side, and PSU dust filters.
- Excellent cable routing with multiple tie-down points for improved airflow and cleaner, neater builds.
- Two USB 3.0 ports and headphone/mic jacks in the front panel for easy access.
- Height x Width x Depth: 11.4 x 10.9 x 13.81 inches, 290mm x 277mm x 351.2mm
- Weight: 4.42 kg, 9.7 lbs