An man from Atlanta, Georgia found himself in a nasty situation when his iPod Nano caught fire.
Danny Williams said that his one and a half year old iPod caught fire while it was in his trouser pocket. The fire, which lasted almost fifteen seconds, reached his chest before it was extinguished.
The fire is believed to have originated from the lithium ion battery which is similar to the ones involved in laptop battery recalls
While this doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, Apple is taking note of it. Apple has vowed to replace William's iPod after doing a thorough examination of the malfunctioning unit. If a major problem is identified, a massive recall could end up being issued.
If you notice your iPod getting particularly warm to the touch, turn it off and let it sit for a while. If the problem persists then it's best to give Apple a call with your concerns.
Do you have a hot pocket from your iPod or is that just the smell of burning through money in the iTunes store? Voice your thoughts and concerns over in the forums