Hearts and hugs
With the basic corner pieces complete, it was time for a test fitting. I just needed to see if everything fit and it looked as it should. I used the standard acrylic corner cubes from AC Ryan's acrylic cases to hold the basic cube together.
Then I needed the centrepieces with the hearts. After some measuring, I found that a CD was the perfect size for the circular plates behind the heart. So, I simply took three CDs and glued them together and added a splash of paint. Then, it was onto making the hearts, which were simply cut out of the acrylic using my Dremel Scrollstation.
I also used this time to paint the corner and edge pieces in that heart warming primer-grey tone.
You can already see the case starting to come together, but by the time all of the corners were done and the hearts were the correct shade of pink, it was really
starting to look like I had hoped. The next thing on the list was to paint the cube and test the placement of the motherboard to figure out where I needed to cut the hole for the connectors.
With the sides properly painted, it actually started to look like a companion cube. I used an old rag with some dark gray paint to age the look of the cube. I just dipped the cloth in paint and rubbed the surface with it randomly to create a more battle-hardened look.