AMD Expands Award-Winning Line of Graphics Products with Introduction of ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series, Delivers Best-in-Class Windows 7 Performance, DirectX® 11 Gaming and ATI Eyefinity Multi-Monitor Technology
— ATI Radeon™ HD 5700 series adds further momentum to AMD visual computing leadership —
SUNNYVALE, Calif. — Oct. 19, 2009 — AMD (NYSE: AMD) recently unveiled the ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 and ATI Radeon™ HD 5750 graphics cards, adding two more models to the world’s first and only suite of graphics cards to fully support Microsoft Direct X® 11 technology and ATI Eyefinity multi-monitor support. With the addition of the ATI Radeon HD 5700 series, AMD is providing PC gamers and multimedia enthusiasts with four great choices to fully enjoy the Microsoft Windows 7 experience.
“The ATI Radeon HD 5800 series reaffirmed AMD as the undisputed leader in visual computing technology,” said Rick Bergman, senior vice president and general manager, AMD Products Group. “Now, the ATI Radeon HD 5700 series takes the same great features like ATI Eyefinity and ATI Stream technology as well as full hardware support for all DirectX 11 features, and bundles them into products priced well below $200.”
* ATI Radeon HD 5700 graphics cards deliver more than 1 TeraFLOPS of compute power, ensuring superior performance in the latest DirectX® 11 games, as well as in DirectX® 9, DirectX® 10, DirectX® 10.1 and OpenGL titles. With a powerful graphics core built on 40nm process technology and up to 800 stream processors, gamers can enjoy DirectX 11 games now, such as EA Phenomic’s Battleforge and many more titles on the way, including:
o S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Call of Pripyat from GSC Game World,
o Dirt™ 2 from Codemasters,
o Aliens vs. Predator™ from Rebellion,
o Update to The Lord of the Rings Online™ from Turbine,
o Update to Dungeons and Dragons Online® Eberron Unlimited™ from Turbine.
With over 20 DirectX 11 titles currently in development, gamers can be ready with DirectX® 11 hardware this holiday season.
* Today’s ATI Eyefinity technology enables up to three monitors to be used with a single ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 or ATI Radeon™ HD 5750 graphics card, delivering the most immersive gaming experience with a graphics card priced below $200.
* New features and functionality of ATI Stream technology allow users to harness both AMD CPUs and the ATI Radeon™ HD 5700 series graphics cards to maximize their computing experience, helping to improve the performance of enabled media, entertainment and productivity applications. ATI Stream technology and the HD 5700 series support both DirectX 11 Direct Compute and OpenCL industry standards.
* For those who want to enjoy a home theatre experience, the ATI Radeon™ HD 5700 series supports the latest HD audio technologies such as Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio and HDMI 3.1. This high level audio support allows users to fully utilize the multiple audio channels embedded in today’s Blu-rayTM discs for the ultimate in HD home entertainment.
* In addition to delivering tremendous DirectX 11 performance, the ATI Radeon™ HD 5700 series also leads in power efficiency consuming as little as 16 watts at idle, less than a third the amount of power required by the average household 60 watt light bulb.
* The ATI Radeon™ HD 5700 series and ATI Radeon HD 5800 series of graphics cards are supported by a dozen add-in-board companies, including ASK, Asus, Diamond, Gigabyte, High Tech, MSI, Sapphire, Tul/Power Color, Visiontek and XFX.
Jon Peddie Research
“I have to say that even the most enthusiastic reviews of ATI Eyefinity don’t fully capture just how impressive this technology is, not to mention the potential opportunities and applications it unlocks. AMD has taken a bold step forward by enabling three, and soon six, monitors from one graphics card.” – Jon Peddie, founder, Jon Peddie Research
"Over the last decade, graphics processors supporting each new version of DirectX have achieved high volume shipments earlier in their life cycles than their predecessors. Our forecast is that DirectX 11 capable GPUs will continue this trend with the fastest transition between technologies ever, resulting in shipments surpassing DirectX 10 GPUs in 2010." – Dean McCarron, founder, Mercury Research
Codemasters – Developers of DIRT 2
“DirectCompute 11 is a huge step forward from DirectCompute 10 (which was all that was available in hardware up to DirectX 10.1). The increased flexibility means that for most uses it’s far more efficient and there are cases of 2x or better improvement by moving to DirectCompute 11. With DirectCompute 11and the awesome power of the ATI Radeon HD 5700 and ATI Radeon HD 5800 series of graphics products, the future is really here.” – Bryan Marshall, CTO, Codemasters
EA Phenomic – Developers of BattleForge
“I love the improvements I see when BattleForge is played on DirectX 11 hardware. AMD has been tremendously supportive of our move to DirectX 11,
making their ATI Radeon HD 5700 series cards available to us ahead of launch to ensure an incredible experience when playing BattleForge, and it shows. This game looks great and performs better than ever.” – Dirk Ringe, vice president, EA Phenomic
GSC Game World – Developers of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Prypiat
"The entire S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series was designed to capture the starkness of a post-apocalyptic world, and DirectX 11 has helped us to establish that environment. When coupled with support for ATI Eyefinity multi-monitor technology, the visual improvements introduced with DirectX 11 create a level of immersiveness that makes S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Prypiat a riveting game to play." − Ruslan Didenko, Project Lead, GSC Game World
Rebellion – Developers of Aliens vs. Predator
“DirectCompute 11 offers a number of advantages over Direct Compute 10; better performance, more features, and greater flexibility. The ATI Radeon HD 5750 and ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics cards has DirectCompute 11 support today, so why would I even think about using an older version of Direct Compute” – Chris Kingsley, CTO, Rebellion
Turbine – Developers of The Lord of the Rings Online™ and Dungeons and Dragons Online®: Eberron Unlimited™
“Updating our titles to DirectX 11 is great for our players. Microsoft’s latest API delivers performance enhancements and image quality improvements, a one-two punch that is sure to deliver an even better game experience!” – Christopher Dyl, CTO, Turbine
Trinigy – Developers of the Vision Game Engine
“For years, Trinigy has prided itself on developing innovative game engine technology that frees developers to create incredible game experiences. The Vision Engine's support for DirectX 11 and the ATI Radeon HD 5700 series of graphics cards keeps us on the leading edge of game development by helping studios deliver
superior graphics and ultra-realistic game environments without compromising frame rates. We think that many developers using the Vision Engine will agree that making games with DirectX 11 will lift their games to a whole new level of realism.”
- Dag Frommhold, managing director, Trinigy
Unigine – Developers of the Unigine Game Engine
"At Unigine we've always prided ourselves on implementing and showcasing the latest in PC graphics technology. DirectX 11 introduces new elaborated design and raises gaming performance to amazing levels while providing great backward compatibility with DirectX 10 and DirectX 9 hardware. With DirectX 11 we are able to include support of DirectCompute 11 into Unigine that can be used for faster physics simulation, cinematic special effects of dramatic impact and breathtaking water simulation. HW tessellation empowers developers to create ultra-realistic scenes complete in every detail based on Unigine technologies. It's like DirectX 11 is a rocket that just hit escape velocity!" − Alexander Zaprjagaev, CTO of Unigine Corp
· Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlxILZuCb-g
· ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series Press kit: www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5000.aspx
· ATI Radeon HD 5770 Product page: www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5770/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5770-overview.aspx
· ATI Radeon HD 5750 Product page: www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5750/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5750-overview.aspx
· Twitter: Follow AMD graphics news on Twitter at @ATIGraphics
· Facebook: Become a fan of AMD technology on Facebook
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit www.amd.com