AMD EXTENDS ENERGY-EFFICIENT PROCESSING LEADERSHIP WITH WORLD’S FIRST 65-WATT QUAD-CORE DESKTOP PROCESSOR
AMD Phenom™ X4 9100e processor enables full–featured, sleek and quiet quad-core PCs
SUNNYVALE, Calif. – March 27, 2008 – AMD (NYSE: AMD) today announced the availability of the world’s first energy-efficient desktop quad-core processor, providing customers with a cool and quiet digital media workhorse. With AMD Phenom™ X4 9100e quad-core processors, digital media enthusiasts and performance-hungry users can experience the powerful computing capabilities of a true multi-core architecture with a processor operating at a maximum of 65–watts.
By coupling an AMD Phenom X4 9100e with an AMD 780 series chipset, AMD offers an efficient PC platform that plays Blu-ray movies and delivers a rich computing experience for casual gamers and multimedia enthusiasts. The processor gives consumers extensive multi-tasking capabilities like creating digital content while checking and writing e-mails and simultaneously downloading music files off the Web. AMD Phenom X4 9100e and AMD 780 series based PCs are ideal for consumers and business customers looking for cool, quiet, energy-efficient PCs.
“By infusing energy–conscious design into everything related to AMD — facilities, products and alliances — AMD has emerged as a leader in establishing eco-friendly practices. The AMD Phenom X4 9100e processor is our latest endeavor to help customers reduce energy consumption and environmental impact,” said Greg White, corporate vice president and general manager, desktop and embedded division, AMD. “Energy-efficient processors from AMD not only enable differentiated solutions but are extremely conducive to smaller and sleeker form factors like Home Theater PCs that take up less space and operate quietly. PCs such as this can also help reduce energy consumption and the associated environmental impacts of traditional PC form factors.”
“Consumers and businesses alike are requesting smaller, more elegant PCs that aesthetically complement home and office environments, offer lower noise for a better computing experience, and deliver the same performance of larger systems,” said Jim McGregor, research director and principal analyst, In-Stat. “Energy efficient desktop processors like the AMD Phenom X4 9100e offer greater performance-per-watt over traditional desktop CPUs while addressing the growing concerns of end-users for more energy efficient and eco-friendly products.”
The AMD Phenom™ X4 9100e processor embodies a series of AMD energy-efficient innovations, including:
· Cool’n’Quiet™ 2.0 technology, the next generation of AMD’s award-winning power saving technology;
· AMD CoolCore™ technology, which helps users achieve more efficient performance by dynamically activating or turning off parts of the processor as needed;
· Independent Dynamic Core Technology, which allows a fully independent frequency control per processor core that can reduce processor energy consumption by adjusting power usage according to core utilization;
· Dual Dynamic Power Management™, which enables a split power plane design, allowing independent voltage planes for processor and memory controller for greater control over performance based on system demands;
· AMD Wideband Frequency Control, for simplified performance state transitions to help reduce power consumption, latency and software overhead of performance states changes; and
· Multi-Point Thermal Control, multiple sensors across processor silicon designed to reduce speed and heat when temperature exceeds pre-defined limits.
The AMD Phenom™ X4 9100e processor is expected to be available from leading OEMs and System Builders. For processor pricing details, please visit www.amd.com/pricing
. For press collateral pertaining to the new AMD Phenom X4 and X3 models including product specifications and availability, digital images and partner support, please visit www.amd.com/phenom/presskit
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is a leading global provider of innovative processing solutions in the computing, graphics and consumer electronics markets. AMD is dedicated to driving open innovation, choice and industry growth by delivering superior customer-centric solutions that empower consumers and businesses worldwide. For more information, visit www.amd.com
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Athlon, AMD Opteron, AMD Geode, AMD Turion, and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Spansion is a trademark of Spansion, Inc. Other names used are for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.