bit-tech.net

Study links WiFi with childhood autism

Study links WiFi with childhood autism

There are concerns about what effects WiFi can have on the body and, apparently, only one way to stay safe.

WiFi networks and mobile phone systems are forever under attack by doctors it seems and there's a new complaint almost every month, so let us bring you up to date on the latest study.

According to an article published in the Australasian Journal of Clinical Medicine, found via Switched, prolonged exposure to WiFi devices can be linked to the onset of childhood autism. That's not a nice thing for me to write given that I sit right in front of the office WiFi router (and the Evil PiƱata).

The article says that the electromagnetic radiation given off by WiFi devices can cause metals to be trapped in side the brain cells of a person. This in turn slows the clearance and accelerates to severity of symptoms associated with autism.

There's only one thing to do; buy a pair of radiation proof pants and put them on your hand. It's the only way to ensure that you remain normal, really.

It's got to be said though that this is hardly the first time that WiFi has been linked to health problems in spite of the fact that the World Health Organisation have studied the effects many times without finding any health risks posed by WiFi devices which operate at normal levels.

So, are you going to be investing in a tinfoil hat or will you buy a new router and mobile phone regardless? Let us know what you think in the forums.

21 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Shadow_101 22nd November 2007, 09:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11/22/study_links_wifi_with_childhood_autism/1

A new study from the Australasian Journal of Clinical Environmental Medicine has found a possible link between WiFi devices and childhood autism.

:|

well i'm boned then, my wifi router is on my bedside table.
AcidJiles 22nd November 2007, 09:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11/22/study_links_wifi_with_childhood_autism/1

A new study from the Australasian Journal of Clinical Environmental Medicine has found a possible link between WiFi devices and childhood autism.

:|

Everyone please note the word possible. Studies have found possible links between almost anything if enough money is put into it.

Also those in the autistic sprectrum such as myself (I have aspergers) are often quite techy so surely its more likely for wifi to be in the house as thats what the child etc is interested in.
mmorgue 22nd November 2007, 09:49 Quote
I have 36 wifi routers strapped around my bed at nite. I was always under the impression wifi *prevented* autism...



Hmm. What if you varied the amount of wifi webbernet rays to a child's head? Could you give them just enough autism to make them braniacs like rainman but not enough to make them social outcasts?
yakyb 22nd November 2007, 10:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorgue

Hmm. What if you varied the amount of wifi webbernet rays to a child's head? Could you give them just enough autism to make them braniacs like rainman but not enough to make them social outcasts?

laugh of the day
Flibblebot 22nd November 2007, 10:48 Quote
Doesn't wifi broadcast on the same frequency as you get from a microwave oven? DECT phones also use the same frequency.
Both have been round longer than wifi, so why hasn't this been noticed before?
steveo_mcg 22nd November 2007, 10:56 Quote
No one sticks there head inside microwaves or uses DECT phones... erm well the first one is true any way. Microwaves are shielded to prevent leakage and iirc need to checked/replaced periodically to prevent hard from leaked radiation.
will. 22nd November 2007, 10:59 Quote
News FLASH!

A new study has linked Oxygen with death! BAN OXYGEN!
steveo_mcg 22nd November 2007, 11:06 Quote
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html ... its an old one but some may not have seen it.
Flibblebot 22nd November 2007, 11:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg
No one sticks their head inside microwaves or uses DECT phones... erm well the first one is true any way. Microwaves are shielded to prevent leakage and iirc need to checked/replaced periodically to prevent hard from leaked radiation.
I'm not saying that people put their babies in the microwave (they probably wouldn't fit anyway), and I'm not talking about leaked microwave radiation. Microwave ovens are a known source of emissions on the 2.4GHz frequency - it's well known that turning the microwave oven can play havoc with your wifi network.

DECT phones and (horror of horrors) baby monitors also use the same 2.4GHz frequency, but nobody's jumping all over them saying that they cause autism.

It's the same with the "mobile phones cause brain cancer" malarky: if people don't understand how something really works, it becomes a target for all the causes of what's wrong with the world.
Javerh 22nd November 2007, 13:33 Quote
Lots of people think we should avoid every type of radiation. Light's the worst of them all! Another cause for most of our miseries are our genes! We should ban genes from our food and try to remove them from our children.
chrisb2e9 22nd November 2007, 14:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg
No one sticks their head inside microwaves or uses DECT phones... erm well the first one is true any way. Microwaves are shielded to prevent leakage and iirc need to checked/replaced periodically to prevent hard from leaked radiation.
I'm not saying that people put their babies in the microwave (they probably wouldn't fit anyway), and I'm not talking about leaked microwave radiation. Microwave ovens are a known source of emissions on the 2.4GHz frequency - it's well known that turning the microwave oven can play havoc with your wifi network.

DECT phones and (horror of horrors) baby monitors also use the same 2.4GHz frequency, but nobody's jumping all over them saying that they cause autism.

It's the same with the "mobile phones cause brain cancer" malarky: if people don't understand how something really works, it becomes a target for all the causes of what's wrong with the world.

microwaves are not on all day long. wifi is. its all about exposure times.
Cupboard 22nd November 2007, 15:35 Quote
IIRC, the amount of radiation you get from WiFi in a year, is about equal to cooking a meal in the microwave, and staying in the kitchen whilst it is cooking. That might be complete rubbish though.
chrisb2e9 22nd November 2007, 16:06 Quote
I wont agrue for or against that because i dont know how much radiation you get from a microwave. but they are supposed to be shielded and people dont complain about them. anyway, assuming that they are shielded, I also pick up something like 20 wifi signals in my apt. Most are weak signals, but they are there. all day every day.
and I dont know if a wifi signal is that bad for you, it seams to me that there are far worse evils in the world. like the mold where I work or the benzene that is in the plant that i work at.
Omnituens 22nd November 2007, 16:07 Quote
oh no, im in trouble! I WEAR MY ROUTER ON MY HEAD!
Jack_Pepsi 22nd November 2007, 19:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javerh
Lots of people think we should avoid every type of radiation. Light's the worst of them all! Another cause for most of our miseries are our genes! We should ban genes from our food and try to remove them from our children.

XD

That brought a tear to my eye!
babyboyjj 9th December 2007, 13:55 Quote
Is it something to worry about?
Krikkit 9th December 2007, 14:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboyjj
Is it something to worry about?

No.

Until someone can provide conclusive proof that this is absolutely true, you can account for the study's findings in 100 ways with modern culture. The human body is surprisingly tolerant of increased radiation, in fact it's often the case that slightly increased doses of radiation actually help to reduce the % of cancers within a population.
Major 10th December 2007, 03:11 Quote
What about when WiFi wasn't around and thousands of kids had autism? lol.
Nexxo 23rd June 2008, 19:59 Quote
Sorry for the thread revival, but just read this and be enlightened: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071123-wifi-and-autism-a-quick-debunking.html
edjay 23rd June 2008, 22:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidJiles
Everyone please note the word possible. Studies have found possible links between almost anything if enough money is put into it.
Also read: Studies generally find "absolutely anything ok if enough money is put into it." :D
edjay 23rd June 2008, 23:12 Quote
LOL, you could all sign up as lab-rats and get paid for it: No need Dr Herschenrerch, they'll pay to be experimented on if we offer them these mobile devices......Muhahahaha
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums