Sony suffers DDoS attack and bomb threat
August 26, 2014 // 10:57 a.m.
Playstation Network has recovered from a denial of service attack that took the service out in North America for the day.
In addition to the DDoS attack, the hackers responsible even managed to divert a Sony executive’s flight by including a bomb threat to the airline in their assault. Sony Online Entertainment president John Smedley and 178 other passengers were diverted to Phoenix away from their original San Diego destination.
On the Playstation blog, Sony states that they have not seen any evidence of personal user information being swiped during the attack and the network itself does not appear to have been breached.
The attack has resulted in scheduled maintenance that was supposed to happen yesterday to be shifted back to a later date.
Talking to ShackNews, an SOE spokesperson said that the FBI had taken up the case and that the incident had become an issue of national security.
The hackers claiming responsibility over Twitter, Lizard Squad, also said they had attacked Blizzard Entertainment, League of Legends and Path of Exile earlier on. After taking out the Playstation Network, they were boasting that they were moving on to Xbox Live, which is currently reporting problems with party chat and server issues on Diablo 3 games on the Xbox One and the Xbox 360.