Sony dismisses price cut demands

Written by Joe Martin

July 8, 2009 // 1:11 p.m.

Tags: #activision #kotick #loss #playstation-3 #price-cut #ps3-price #sony #sony-dismisses-price-cut-demands #stringer

Sony's CEO Sir Howard Stringer has directly responded to threats from Activision boss Bobby Kotick that the publisher, which is currently the largest in the world, would cease to support Sony platforms unless there was a price cut.

Simply put, Stringer accuses Kotick of making meaningless noise in an attempt to put pressure on Sony, which Stringer says is just part of the business and not something that gamers should really take too seriously. From what Stringer says, it seems there's no current plans for a PlayStation 3 price cut after all.

Last month Activision's Bobby Kotick said that he would abandon the PlayStation 3 and PSP platforms unless Sony cut the price of the consoles and were able to attain a larger market share. Kotick claimed that developing for Sony platforms was very expensive compared to other consoles and indicated that if Sony didn't do something by 2010 then Activision would simply stop developing for the platform - meaning no Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk or Call of Duty games on the PS3 to say the least.

"He likes to make a lot of noise," Stringer said to Reuters when asked about the comments. "He's putting pressure on me and I'm putting pressure on him. That's the nature of business."

Asked if there were any plans for a PlayStation 3 price cut in the future, Stringer said that the idea didn't make any sense and that lowering the price would put Sony into greater loss.

"I (would) lose money on every PlayStation I make -- how's that for logic," he asked.

What's your opinion on Sony and the cost of the PlayStation 3? Let us know your thoughts in the forums.
Discuss this in the forums

QUICK COMMENT

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

WEEK IN REVIEW

TOP STORIES

SUGGESTED FOR YOU