bit-gamer.net

Sony announces game streaming service Playstation Now

Sony announces game streaming service Playstation Now

Playstation Now will leverage game streaming technology from Gaikai, a company that Sony bought back in 2012.

Sony has announced a game streaming service that allows for Playstation 3 games to be played on a Playstation 4, PS Vita, Xperia phones and tablets and Bravia TVs.

The service, Playstation Now, was featured during Sony's CES keynote speech and will use cloud-based technology borrowed from Gaikai, the game streaming service that Sony bought in July 2012.

Playstation Now will let users rent titles on a one-off basis or as part of a subscription model. No pricing structure has been outlined yet, but games confirmed for the service include The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls.

As well as being compatible with several pieces of Sony hardware, the company states that it also intends to roll out support to third party internet-connected devices in the future.

'PS Now will allow users to engage in the world of PlayStation, whether they're existing fans or have never owned a PlayStation platform,' said SCE president and group CEO Andrew House.

Playstation Now will support several Playstation Network features including its trophies and message system as well as online multiplayer functionality.

The streaming service will enter a closed beta in the US at the end of January with the full launch expected later on this year. It is also not yet clear if Sony intends to bring the service to Europe and Asia as well.

11 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
[USRF]Obiwan 8th January 2014, 08:35 Quote
So does this mean I can play PS3 games on the PC with mouse and keys?
RichCreedy 8th January 2014, 09:59 Quote
not yet but in the future
blacko 8th January 2014, 11:34 Quote
i can see my productivity at working dropping when this is comes to 3rd party devices!
Pete J 8th January 2014, 12:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]So does this mean I can play PS3 games on the PC with mouse and keys?

This would make me a very happy man.
sandys 8th January 2014, 15:02 Quote
Why would you want to play games designed and tested for a specific controller on keyboard and mouse? without specific keyboard and mouse support coded into games you'll be getting a substandard experience.

Outside of that though, this could be great, of course implementation and cost will determine if it will be. No doubt like PSN games publishers with set the price of rental more than retail :D

This is the edge of the wedge really for gaming as a paid for service in the next generation.
itrush07 8th January 2014, 15:06 Quote
This is good news to all gamers out there.. Can't wait to try it.
erratum1 8th January 2014, 15:12 Quote
This is sony's version of onlive? Didn't see many people getting excited about that.
Pookie 8th January 2014, 19:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by erratum1
This is sony's version of onlive? Didn't see many people getting excited about that.

So true. And the fact that the UK is way behind with broadband services will mean very few will have the bandwidth to get a good experiance.
sandys 8th January 2014, 19:35 Quote
As an onlive customer I thought it was good, quality wasn't quite the there but that was probably due to servers being in another country, Sony should be able to do a better job of it.
SAimNE 8th January 2014, 21:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys
Why would you want to play games designed and tested for a specific controller on keyboard and mouse? without specific keyboard and mouse support coded into games you'll be getting a substandard experience.

Outside of that though, this could be great, of course implementation and cost will determine if it will be. No doubt like PSN games publishers with set the price of rental more than retail :D

This is the edge of the wedge really for gaming as a paid for service in the next generation.
personally i'd prefer most games on my naga and nostromo.

granted until a gamepad with a proper joystick would make that opinion absolutely universal... really hope razer comes with a version with that feature.
sandys 9th January 2014, 14:31 Quote
Requires 5Mb/s and a DS3.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums