bit-gamer.net

Killzone 3 leaked

Killzone 3 leaked

Killzone 3 has been leaked online in both 3D and non-3D forms for hacked PlayStation 3s.

A final version of Sony's upcoming sci-fi shooter, Killzone 3, has been leaked online two weeks before the planned launch, according to reports.

We haven't downloaded the leaked version to check for ourselves, obviously, but the 41.5GB download is reportedly genuine and even includes Killzone 3's 3D mode. A 'half-fat' version is available to download without 3D support too, apparently.

Killzone 3 is the second triple A title to be leaked online far ahead of release this week, with the PC version of Crysis 2 getting leaked only a few days ago.

The leaked version of Killzone 3 will only operate on hacked PlayStation 3s, but apparently represents the full, final version of the game.

Sony is currently engaged with a lawsuit with PlayStation 3 cracker George 'Geohot' Hotz, who was ordered by a US court to turn his hard drives over to Sony for inspection recently. Hotz has defended himself fiercely, fearing that the lawsuit against him will set dangerous legal precedents if successful.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums - but be sure to check Bit-Gamer's policy on discussion of piracy first.

37 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
steveo_mcg 14th February 2011, 10:41 Quote
OMG console gaming is dying....
feathers 14th February 2011, 10:42 Quote
Not again. :)

Unfortunately I don't own a PS3 so I can't download the leaked Killzone. Thanks for notifying me though.
feathers 14th February 2011, 10:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg
OMG console gaming is dying....

Haha :) This leak means the end of console gaming doesn't it? All of the console developers will ditch consoles and head over to PC game development.
feathers 14th February 2011, 10:44 Quote
Or perhaps they will ditch PC and console gaming and just develop on mobiles.
Vallachia 14th February 2011, 10:48 Quote
You mean develop for those mobile platforms that havent been thoroughly pwned ?
SMIFFYDUDE 14th February 2011, 10:52 Quote
That dishonest console gaming community make me sick with all their piracy. They will surely kill the console as a format.
Lankuzo 14th February 2011, 10:53 Quote
Stop advertising it Bit tech
SMIFFYDUDE 14th February 2011, 10:55 Quote
Smug mode on
Singularity 14th February 2011, 11:05 Quote
This is very serious... If it's happening on consoles, makes you wonder what might happen next...
What if something like this happens with a PC title? Surely this couldn't happen...

</sarcasm> (Still hoping the sarcasm tag becomes part of the HTML5 standard)
Guinevere 14th February 2011, 11:12 Quote
People can pirate games? It actually happens?

Never heard of it before. In my days of the ZX-81 & Spectrum nobody ever tape-to-taped their friends games.

And in the days of the Amiga nobody ever copied discs, or swapped them with their European "Public Domain" buddies.

And in the early days of PC gaming, nobody allowed their games to be installed on friends computers - it just wasn't done.

Seriously...

This isn't anything new, it's been going on for (quite literally) decades. There will always be a battle between the publishers and thieves.

And what has this tri-decade of theft done to the industry? Not stopped it being a bigger money machine than the entire Hollywood movie industry - that's what. Some do well out of it, others get burned.

Okay everyone - move along - move along - nothing new to see here.
TWeaK 14th February 2011, 11:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankuzo
Stop advertising it Bit tech

Bit-tech is a news site, I would expect to read news like this here and I'm grateful to Bit-tech for providing it.
PingCrosby 14th February 2011, 11:27 Quote
PIRATES!!!!!!? Quick.....RUN!
wuyanxu 14th February 2011, 11:35 Quote
lol, this is worse than Crysis 2: "represents the full, final version of the game. "

if it were CryTek, they'd probably do what they do best, cry about it.
wait, they are already doing it.

i'll get my coat.
Deadpunkdave 14th February 2011, 11:37 Quote
Why must the Somalians ruin it for everyone?
Cerberus90 14th February 2011, 11:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
Or perhaps they will ditch PC and console gaming and just develop on mobiles.

That's fine by me, I'm quite enjoying the Java ME programming we're doing at uni.
Making a remake/re-imagination of Road Rash for coursework, :D
Pete J 14th February 2011, 11:43 Quote
So, what's next? Duke Nukem Forever? Portal 2?
v8ninety 14th February 2011, 12:01 Quote
I assume they will only be able to play the campaign and sony would be easily able to detect and block any attempts to use the multiplayer from these consoles and ban them from PSN also. They will of course be the first to complain when any of this happens or the quantity and quality of console games development is reduced. On the flip side it is unforgivable for Sony to even make these leaks of code possible and should track down the source, plug the holes and get the lawyers in.
Coldon 14th February 2011, 12:22 Quote
both leaks from companies in europe? Crytek in Germany, Guerilla Games in Holland... Maybe they need to beef up security at european devs.
Parge 14th February 2011, 12:43 Quote
God I’m tempted to download this a couple of times just to prove that consoles aren’t infallible when it comes to piracy.
cgthomas 14th February 2011, 13:28 Quote
This news really gives a bad name to real pirates, such as myself
liratheal 14th February 2011, 13:49 Quote
:shrug:

Don't have a modified PS3, no use to me.

Although, it does illustrate what I've been saying since.. Actually, since forever. Piracy is present everywhere, the PC platform just gets broadcast more frequently, typically as an excuse for a long time PC Dev to switch to consoles as primary platforms.
Xtrafresh 14th February 2011, 14:03 Quote
Surely this demonstrates that developing for the playstation is no longer economically viable...
liratheal 14th February 2011, 14:12 Quote
Console prelaunch leaks are fairly isolated incidents (When was the last one?), where as PC game pre-launch leaks are statistically more common.

Post-launch piracy is in reckless abundance for all platforms - As one might expect - But the higher percentage of legitimate sales in a much higher market penetration favours the consoles over high end PC's.

All these "Oh, lol, consoles are insecure" jabs are utterly baseless, and sadly representative of the PC gamers as the developers see us : Petty children not interested in anything that doesn't benefit us and us alone.

Piracy is an issue whichever platform you choose, but from a developers standpoint, the console is the safer bet purely because of the work involved modifying a console to run the pirated code.

A PC doesn't give a monkies, and in some instances, the game doesn't even need installing (The pre-launch leak of DoW II from.. err... I'm not going to mention the groups name, but that wasn't in need of an install).

Low penetration vs. statistically higher piracy levels? It's not a sound business decision to develop for Pc and then port to consoles (For certain systems are innumerable flaws going in that direction (Although the XNA stuff does make PC -> 360 slightly better but by no means perfect)).

Cheaper to go console to pc, port wise, and in that scenario, they likely weigh the potential sales made on PC vs the cost to make the port work to our (PC gamers) exacting standards.
maximus09 14th February 2011, 14:13 Quote
I hope these people downloading the leaked versions find the games sssooo good that they actually buy them anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpunkdave
Why must the Somalians ruin it for everyone?

I don't get it?? :s But i loled anyway :D
liratheal 14th February 2011, 14:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus09
I don't get it?? :s But i loled anyway :D

I suspect it's a reference to a tenuous suggestion of links to Somalian Pirates based on PC game leaking. I think the Somalian Pirates suggestion was a joke, but hey.
wuyanxu 14th February 2011, 15:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parge
God I’m tempted to download this a couple of times just to prove that consoles aren’t infallible when it comes to piracy.
great plan, i shall set my NAS box to do this for the next couple of days :D hope we can get this to be more popular than Crysis 2 on torrent sites, that'd proof:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrafresh
Surely this demonstrates that developing for the playstation is no longer economically viable...
GravitySmacked 14th February 2011, 15:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMIFFYDUDE
That dishonest console gaming community make me sick with all their piracy. They will surely kill the console as a format.

Made me chuckle!
Eggy 14th February 2011, 15:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldon
both leaks from companies in europe? Crytek in Germany, Guerilla Games in Holland... Maybe they need to beef up security at european devs.
Killzone 3 is most likely already shipped to stores or at least review copies have been sent out. Guerrilla has nothing to do with it, the game is out in a week or something.

I'd hardly call it a leak.
dactone 14th February 2011, 17:32 Quote
kill zone 3' now thats sounds like horrid game to play..
misterbuggerlugs 14th February 2011, 18:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
People can pirate games? It actually happens?

Never heard of it before. In my days of the ZX-81 & Spectrum nobody ever tape-to-taped their friends games.

And in the days of the Amiga nobody ever copied discs, or swapped them with their European "Public Domain" buddies.

And in the early days of PC gaming, nobody allowed their games to be installed on friends computers - it just wasn't done.

Seriously...

This isn't anything new, it's been going on for (quite literally) decades. There will always be a battle between the publishers and thieves.

And what has this tri-decade of theft done to the industry? Not stopped it being a bigger money machine than the entire Hollywood movie industry - that's what. Some do well out of it, others get burned.

Okay everyone - move along - move along - nothing new to see here.

Horrah for the voice of reason within these comments, I honestly wonder how many of them comments came from Sony employees or RIAA funded agencies.
Grape Flavor 14th February 2011, 18:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Console prelaunch leaks are fairly isolated incidents (When was the last one?), where as PC game pre-launch leaks are statistically more common.

Post-launch piracy is in reckless abundance for all platforms - As one might expect - But the higher percentage of legitimate sales in a much higher market penetration favours the consoles over high end PC's.

All these "Oh, lol, consoles are insecure" jabs are utterly baseless, and sadly representative of the PC gamers as the developers see us : Petty children not interested in anything that doesn't benefit us and us alone.

Piracy is an issue whichever platform you choose, but from a developers standpoint, the console is the safer bet purely because of the work involved modifying a console to run the pirated code.

A PC doesn't give a monkies, and in some instances, the game doesn't even need installing (The pre-launch leak of DoW II from.. err... I'm not going to mention the groups name, but that wasn't in need of an install).

Low penetration vs. statistically higher piracy levels? It's not a sound business decision to develop for Pc and then port to consoles (For certain systems are innumerable flaws going in that direction (Although the XNA stuff does make PC -> 360 slightly better but by no means perfect)).

Cheaper to go console to pc, port wise, and in that scenario, they likely weigh the potential sales made on PC vs the cost to make the port work to our (PC gamers) exacting standards.

How dare you discuss this like a mature adult!! Adopt an attitude of smug bemusement and perverse gratification!

ADOPT IT NOW.
Ficky Pucker 14th February 2011, 19:14 Quote
burn in hell evil you console pirates !!!!
perplekks45 15th February 2011, 07:50 Quote
I'm tempted to buy a PS3 now, jailbreak it, and download Kill Zone. Just to rub it in. Sorry, immature, I know. But I just can't stand Sony's attitude.

How could they possibly break the oh-so-secure mechanisms making console gaming far less piracy-prone? Years and years of marketing hype about console games being impossible to pirate (kinda reminds me of "no virus for [enter OS]" coming from the *NIX/Linux community) and I-don't-want-to-know how much money spent on those plus the resulting law suits. What for in the end? Exactly.
And please don't tell me this is an isolated case in the world of consoles. We all know there have been leaks and there will be leaks all the time. The news about this (and the Crysis leak) is that it now hits AAA titles.
wafflesomd 15th February 2011, 10:44 Quote
46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2

Come at me bro.
Xtrafresh 15th February 2011, 14:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by liratheal
Console prelaunch leaks are fairly isolated incidents (When was the last one?), where as PC game pre-launch leaks are statistically more common.

Post-launch piracy is in reckless abundance for all platforms - As one might expect - But the higher percentage of legitimate sales in a much higher market penetration favours the consoles over high end PC's.

All these "Oh, lol, consoles are insecure" jabs are utterly baseless, and sadly representative of the PC gamers as the developers see us : Petty children not interested in anything that doesn't benefit us and us alone.

Piracy is an issue whichever platform you choose, but from a developers standpoint, the console is the safer bet purely because of the work involved modifying a console to run the pirated code.

A PC doesn't give a monkies, and in some instances, the game doesn't even need installing (The pre-launch leak of DoW II from.. err... I'm not going to mention the groups name, but that wasn't in need of an install).

Low penetration vs. statistically higher piracy levels? It's not a sound business decision to develop for Pc and then port to consoles (For certain systems are innumerable flaws going in that direction (Although the XNA stuff does make PC -> 360 slightly better but by no means perfect)).

Cheaper to go console to pc, port wise, and in that scenario, they likely weigh the potential sales made on PC vs the cost to make the port work to our (PC gamers) exacting standards.

Right. so lets debate! :D

First of all, console piracy is far less incidental then you might think. Just do a google torrent search for xbox games, and you'll see that the problem is so big that if it were a zit on somebody's backside, they'd be forbidden by law to wear leggings.

Now, going a bit deeper into your full post, i'd like to point out that you are contradicting yourself. the second half of your post deals with the economics of the situation, which we as consumers should understand and respect. Yet when we adopt the same ideals (capitalism) you suddenly despise it as people doing only what is best for them and them alone.

Yes, clearly, it is better if there is no piracy at all, and everyone pays for their products.
But also, Crysis (yes, let's go there) is a much better game on PC, yet it seems Crytek should get a full pass for watering down part 2 to make it fit on a console for economic (i.e. purely selfish) reasons.

So which is it? Should we all just do what's best for ourselves, or should we all do what's better in th bigger picture? You cannot expect a generation so trained in individualism and selfimportance to do what's best for everyone else at their own cost, while at the same time the opposite values are being valued in business. right or wrong doesn't come into it, it's just not going to happen.

However, ALL of that is a moo point. What REALLY pisses me off is that people seem to be considering the console vs PC debate as... well, as a VERSUS debate. It isn't, it just isn't. It's like train vs. airplane. They are different things, both of them best suited for their own niche. Developers always seem to go for the safe bet (both), or developing for console and then releasing on PC too as added bonus. Crysis was one of the very few games that was ultimately focused and honed for PC, and I much admired the game and Crytek for it.

We really need to get over ourselves, and stop muddying the piracy vs DRM debate (that's already murky enough) with the completely nonsensical console vs PC debate.
kenco_uk 15th February 2011, 14:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrafresh

However, ALL of that is a moo point.

Dammit, I was expecting something to do with cows and all I got was the Rickster.
SimonStern 15th February 2011, 21:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrafresh
...What REALLY pisses me off is that people seem to be considering the console vs PC debate as... well, as a VERSUS debate. It isn't, it just isn't. It's like train vs. airplane. They are different things, both of them best suited for their own niche...

Well I'll say if people preferred to fly everywhere and companies weren't making planes anymore to focus on making trains (only releasing a broken copy of a train with wings every once in a while) because they were more profitable and less likely to be hijacked, most probably wouldn't like that either.

It's not devs making both, it's them choosing one OR the other, and then if they feel like it porting it to the other platforms. It's that "or" that makes it a versus debate since it's almost always an "or". You have manufacturers making planes OR trains and then maybe making a shotty derivative of the other, not "and" with both built from scratch on their own merits being equally fantastic.

Since it seems most teams can only do one thing and do it (arguably) well, until that changes it will always be a versus debate.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums