The Last Express re-released

The Last Express re-released

The Last Express is a real-time PC adventure game from Prince of Persia maker, Jordan Mechner.

The Last Express, Jordan Mechner's oft-overlooked 1997 classic, has been re-released by digital distributor DotEmu.

DotEmu is now offering the Collector's Edition version of the game, which has been updated to run on modern PCs, for 7.49 Euro - or £6.31.

Released in 1997 by Broderbund, The Last Express is a murder-mystery set aboard the Orient Express in the days before World War I. The twist is that, rather than telling a linear story like most adventure games, The Last Express is a non-linear experience that takes place in real-time. That means that, while you search for clues and information, the other passengers aboard the train will follow their own stories; eating, sleeping, talking and so on.

The Last Express also uses an unusual art nouveau art style that is almost entirely hand-drawn. Alas, the cost of developing the game in this way made The Last Express a prohibitively expensive game to create. After five years of development it was released to critical acclaim and poor sales.

DotEmu's version of the game comes with no DRM and the ability to download it an unlimited number of times.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

do_it_anyway 14th January 2011, 12:50 Quote
Never heard of it. Looked at the age and thought, nope not for me.

Read the article and I'm now seriously interested. What an interesting concept. I bet it has serious replay value too.

I am off to google the original reviews
CardJoe 14th January 2011, 12:52 Quote
Trust me, it's a great game. Incredibly unique and worth sticking with, even if it is a little slow to start with - mainly because gamers nowadays are so used to being rushed through things.
azrael- 14th January 2011, 13:32 Quote
Fantastic news! That's a pretty great game, although it can be a bit difficult since it runs in real time.
TWeaK 14th January 2011, 18:37 Quote
One word: bought!
mute1 14th January 2011, 22:57 Quote
I bought my original boxed copy on ebay a while ago (some a*s*wipe pushed the price right up when there was another identical copy available for less) but never wanted to open because it was so pristine. Now I can finally play it without any guilt.
sear 15th January 2011, 18:35 Quote
DotEmu do some nice work... they're a bit in line with GOG.com but have a smaller niche. I got Raptor: Call of the Shadows from them a while ago. Glad to see they're still in business.