bit-gamer.net

Blizzard thinking about a new MMO

Blizzard thinking about a new MMO

Blizzard has hinted that they may be working on a successor to World of Warcraft.

I'll be honest with you here - I am possibly the only man on the planet who hasn't ever played World of Warcraft. It's not because I don't like Blizzard or MMORPGs, or even that think its a bad game. Those things are all ancillary to the real reason and the truth is that WoW scares me to my quivering, geeky core.

I'm a competitive person when it comes to computer games, you see. I can willingly lose in any sport or activity I'm forced to try my hand at, but when the action is virtual then I'll discard my real-life commitments and plunge myself deeply into the process of being the best or most knowledgeable at whatever game I happen to playing. I have to complete games fully wherever possible but with a game like WoW it's very possible that I'd die before I'd get anywhere close.

So, you can imagine the extent of my seat-staining when I found out that Blizzard were now thinking of making a new MMO.

WoW's lead designer, Jeffrey Kaplan, dropped the first hints over at CVG. Though he stressed that Blizzard doesn't have "anything official" to announce on the topic just yet, he did say:

"As far was working on another MMO project or a WoW 2, obviously as a company we'd be very interested in further exploring the MMO space."

True, it's as bland and throwaway a comment as we may expect at this point but it already has the Warcrack addicts panting and screaming for more of the precious MMO/narcotic.

Ever try your hand at World of Warcraft? How many hours did you spend on it? Let us know in the forums.

49 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
M_D_K 29th August 2007, 12:01 Quote
not played wow, wont play the new one there just life sucking dull games.

From what i've seen and the amount of time my parents have spent on wow the game sucks tbh
Jamie 29th August 2007, 12:02 Quote
WoW players don't count their playtime in hours, months or years please.
Duste 29th August 2007, 12:04 Quote
WoW 2? More like World of Starcraft. :D
will. 29th August 2007, 12:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_D_K
not played wow, wont play the new one there just life sucking dull games.

From what i've seen and the amount of time my parents have spent on wow the game sucks tbh

You Mum and Dad play world of warcraft?

Weeeeird....

My mum still doesn't quite understand the concept of email....

Oh, and I racked up about a months play time by the end... I still log on occasionally, but only to chat with friends.
dragontail 29th August 2007, 12:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duste
WoW 2? More like World of Starcraft. :D
Yup, that's what I thought too. WoS ftw!
[USRF]Obiwan 29th August 2007, 12:38 Quote
Quote:
I'll be honest with you here - I am possibly the only man on the planet who hasn't ever played World of Warcraft. It's not because I don't like Blizzard or MMORPGs, or even that think its a bad game. Those things are all ancillary to the real reason and the truth is that WoW scares me to my quivering, geeky core.

You are not the only one, and please keep it that way, Ii have seen whole families getting divorced, and children be left on their own. And have seen homes pilled with junk, dishes piled up to the roof and no householding nomore whatsoever, 10 garbage bags in the hall, seen friends lost their jobs because of, to much sick relieves and freetaking or not even showing up. No more socializing with friends nomore, not comming to birthday party's of friends. Leaving a friends wedding because of some collective wow attack...

All because a damn useless piece of "life" time consuming junk thats called WOW, that also cost money every month. And in the end many lost years, friends and family, sickness and a normal social life...
Edvuld 29th August 2007, 12:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan
You are not the only one, and please keep it that way, Ii have seen whole families getting divorced, and children be left on their own. And have seen homes pilled with junk, dishes piled up to the roof and no householding nomore whatsoever, 10 garbage bags in the hall, seen friends lost their jobs because of, to much sick relieves and freetaking or not even showing up. No more socializing with friends nomore, not comming to birthday party's of friends. Leaving a friends wedding because of some collective wow attack...

All because a damn useless piece of "life" time consuming junk thats called WOW, that also cost money every month. And in the end many lost years, friends and family, sickness and a normal social life...

While I agree that WoW is an extremely addicting game, you can't blame the game for everything. I think it all comes down to wheter you have the will-power to control your gaming time. I'd say that the people that get that addicted have low self-control, similar to those that never manages to stop smoking or drinking, even though it destoys their own and others' lives.
StephenK 29th August 2007, 13:07 Quote
I've never played WoW either. I've played a few of the other MMOs (Lineage 2, Vanguard,etc) but I usually play for a month or two and then the grind gets too bad and i move on to something else. I've heard that Wow isnt as bad as some of the others when it comes to grinding but I've never gotten around to trying it. World of Starcraft sounds cool though but I'd love to see World of Diablo myself :)
DriftCarl 29th August 2007, 13:14 Quote
Now, when wow "breaks up families" the problem isnt going to be wow. It is going to be the family. The only reason people blame WoW is because its high profile and in the news right now. There are millions of happy families playing WoW and not being broken apart.
This argument is as stupid as people blaming counterstrike on high school murder rampages. it is the exact same thing.

The family break up, if it wasnt on WoW, would be due to drinking, drug use, gambling, sleeping around and every other number of activities. Just in this instance the catalist is WoW.

I have been paying for 2+ years and I still talk to my parents and sisters and the rest of my family. Infact my relationship with them now is alot better than it use to be.
Xen0phobiak 29th August 2007, 13:26 Quote
I tried it, and failed to see the point in grinding, so went back to Eve :).
IncBot 29th August 2007, 14:10 Quote
Have never played it as I personally hate, hate, fantasy. Perhaps it stems from being forced to read C. S. Lewis books as a kid *shudder*...
If the new MMORPG is something other than dealing with trolls, wizards and other creatures thought up by bored, plague-addled village dwellers in the middle-ages then I'd be interested.
AngelOfRage 29th August 2007, 14:12 Quote
Still playing it here, racked up 128 Days on my main. Still love the game, so much to do in there. Although i find the lvling boring and would prefer to do BGs / raids.

I've played a few other MMOs FFXI, Phantasy Star, Guildwars. But none can match upto the virtual crack that WoW is.

To give it up now would be to waste all the time and effort i've put into my main :P
PrometheusCon 29th August 2007, 14:19 Quote
Hmm. Just get SC2 done first.
DXR_13KE 29th August 2007, 14:32 Quote
World Of Starcraft maybe.....
Cobalt 29th August 2007, 14:36 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen0phobiak
I tried it, and failed to see the point in grinding, so went back to Eve :).

You went back to EVE to avoid grinding? Personally I'd prefer grinding to sitting around for hours doing nothing while on autopilot.
paul2345 29th August 2007, 14:56 Quote
that would be nice ,i am looking forward to it
legoman666 29th August 2007, 14:57 Quote
I used to play WoW a lot, but quit after a year of averaging 8 hours a day. I think I had ~114 days played on my main after 13 months or something? I decided that was too much and never logged in again. Best decision I made.
p3n 29th August 2007, 14:57 Quote
I hope they focus on WoW's endgame more, my guild (www.celebrityguild.com) only have 2 instances worth clearing a week and PvP loses its magic after a while leaving us raiding 2/3 nights a week and not much the rest of the time!
WarningFromSpace 29th August 2007, 14:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvuld
While I agree that WoW is an extremely addicting game, you can't blame the game for everything. I think it all comes down to wheter you have the will-power to control your gaming time. I'd say that the people that get that addicted have low self-control, similar to those that never manages to stop smoking or drinking, even though it destoys their own and others' lives.
QFT

But I can't fathom what they will do for it, pretty hard to top wow...
proxess 29th August 2007, 15:01 Quote
Played it once... Never again! I think they'd be at a loss. Ultima Online 2 would be cool tho.
automagsrock 29th August 2007, 15:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan
You are not the only one, and please keep it that way, Ii have seen whole families getting divorced, and children be left on their own. And have seen homes pilled with junk, dishes piled up to the roof and no householding nomore whatsoever, 10 garbage bags in the hall, seen friends lost their jobs because of, to much sick relieves and freetaking or not even showing up. No more socializing with friends nomore, not comming to birthday party's of friends. Leaving a friends wedding because of some collective wow attack...

All because a damn useless piece of "life" time consuming junk thats called WOW, that also cost money every month. And in the end many lost years, friends and family, sickness and a normal social life...

Really cause I play WoW and I have a clean house, a full time job and a social life. I play WoW sometimes for 4 hours a day. What you just did is basically stereotype everyone who plays WoW in two paragraphs. I'd like to see these "families" torn apart by this game that you are referencing to. Seriously, I do. If someone is neglecting their house and family for a game, then that is not the games fault. That person has a mental illness. Becoming seriously addicted to a game isn't the games fault. There is something in their head that tells them they need to be doing all of this.

I personally know about 60 people who play WoW and not a single one of them are like what you described. 15 of them were in the top raiding guild on their server and still maintained a 4.0 in high school. 5 just graduated College this last spring with 3.8 GPAs or higher while still playing WoW 3-5 hrs/day and also having 30 hr/week jobs as well.


I know everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when that opinion is borederline stereotyping 9 million people all at once, I really can't take it seriously.



/rant
CardJoe 29th August 2007, 15:42 Quote
Here comes the "is gaming addiction a mental illness" arguement again. Sigh.

The fact of the matter is that for a well-balanced, active person with a stable disposition then there is no issue with being addicted to WoW. It'll be like any other hobby.

However, not everyone is perfectly balanced and the game is both competitive and social in nature, thus encouraging people to keep playing. Gaming as an activity also attracts people who want to stay in their rooms or people who crave rewards for completing objectives. Then you get people like me who just like playing games and want to get everything they can out of the experience. To those people, gaming does become an issue and WoW is a focus here because it is so high profile and successful. It also encourages people to keep playing for long periods of time to get their moneys worth out of it.

There are people who I know who have been utterly destroyed by gaming addiction, though not from WoW, and I have knowledge of others who have been destroyed by WoW addiction. Games are not the problem and nor is WoW, which is simply an obvious example of the issue. The problem is the approach people take to these games.
automagsrock 29th August 2007, 16:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Here comes the "is gaming addiction a mental illness" arguement again. Sigh.

The fact of the matter is that for a well-balanced, active person with a stable disposition then there is no issue with being addicted to WoW. It'll be like any other hobby.

However, not everyone is perfectly balanced and the game is both competitive and social in nature, thus encouraging people to keep playing. Gaming as an activity also attracts people who want to stay in their rooms or people who crave rewards for completing objectives. Then you get people like me who just like playing games and want to get everything they can out of the experience. To those people, gaming does become an issue and WoW is a focus here because it is so high profile and successful. It also encourages people to keep playing for long periods of time to get their moneys worth out of it.

There are people who I know who have been utterly destroyed by gaming addiction, though not from WoW, and I have knowledge of others who have been destroyed by WoW addiction. Games are not the problem and nor is WoW, which is simply an obvious example of the issue. The problem is the approach people take to these games.

Very well written. I hate people who blame games for everything. Weather it is violence, addiction or anything else. Everyone is looking for a scapegoat, and it seems gaming is the first one people go for.
Arkanrais 29th August 2007, 16:23 Quote
My brothers marriage ended mostly cause his wife couldnt keep off MMO's and MUD's (even got addicted to text based online games). Guild wars was one of the worst for her (I played it and it bored the s*** out of me) so I can only Imagine what WoW would have done to her.
anyway, I want blizzard to get on with making Diablo III, after starcraft 2 that is.
Panos 29th August 2007, 16:23 Quote
I haven't played WoW either.

When it was comming out, I was playing DAOC (for a brief period after UO). Reading it's features and FAQ, the lack of RvR/PvP just made me to laugh at it an forget that exists.

Then I saw the light!
I start playing EVE Online B)
wafflesomd 29th August 2007, 18:00 Quote
Well, they should have enough money to pretty much take over the world by now.
pendragon 29th August 2007, 18:57 Quote
used to play WoW a lot.. had to quit for personal reasons.. might play again someday though.. `tis quite a fun game when you have a good guild. World of Starcraft will be a huge hit, I'm sure.
serial_ 29th August 2007, 19:33 Quote
82 days played on my warlock that I stopped playing after the expansion came out, and 67 days played on my shaman since the expansion.

... looking back on it I wish I had all that time back in work hours, i'd be a lot less poor =(
serial_ 29th August 2007, 19:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanrais
My brothers marriage ended mostly cause his wife couldnt keep off MMO's and MUD's (even got addicted to text based online games). Guild wars was one of the worst for her (I played it and it bored the s*** out of me) so I can only Imagine what WoW would have done to her.
anyway, I want blizzard to get on with making Diablo III, after starcraft 2 that is.

Guild Wars IS Diablo III lol.
jweller 29th August 2007, 20:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duste
WoW 2? More like World of Starcraft. :D

StarCraft is already coming out, no question there. http://www.starcraft2.com This "other" would be something else. I'm hoping it is Diablo III. The diablo community has only been waiting for, what, 7 years. =P
jweller 29th August 2007, 20:54 Quote
If it does turn out to be WoW2 oh god how I pray they get away from the aweful cartoon character look and move toward realism and natural movement.
HourBeforeDawn 29th August 2007, 21:01 Quote
ehh there only interested in the money, making another game to take advantage of their consumers wallets.
HourBeforeDawn 29th August 2007, 21:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweller
If it does turn out to be WoW2 oh god how I pray they get away from the aweful cartoon character look and move toward realism and natural movement.

well I will agree with you there Lineage 2 is sooo much better then WoW and a lot more challenging and like 10 times the graphical appeal but L2 does require a more high end system do to all those graphics and well if WoW was to go that route then people playing it on Dial Up and people with low end computers wont be able to spend their money on the game because they wouldnt be able to play it, but seeing how I dont have any of those issues I do hope they make a better looking game if they do I may consider trying it out.
Cobalt 29th August 2007, 21:31 Quote
Want I really want is a decent, up to date, sci-fi MMO. Anarchy Online is great and has the best community of any online game I've played, but is getting very dated in terms of graphics and control. I tried so hard to like EVE but in the end I just found it boring and repetitive to the extreme, I loved the X series but for some reason I didn't enjoy EVE in the same way.
Bungle 29th August 2007, 21:33 Quote
Never played WOW. I tried Eve online a while back for about 4 months and although a very deeply rewarding game, I found mining/mission running and the general playing experience to be too much like holding down a job. Ones enough for me.
I found Guildwars to be my cup of tea, low level cap and just enough variety to keep you entertained for short while like Diablo 2.
With the plethora of quality PC titles about and ones that are on the horizon. There's just not enough time to stick to one title.
DarkLord7854 29th August 2007, 21:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xen0phobiak
I tried it, and failed to see the point in grinding, so went back to Eve :).
You went back to EVE to avoid grinding? Personally I'd prefer grinding to sitting around for hours doing nothing while on autopilot.

You've obviously never really delved into EVE :p
I personally have lots of fun playing EVE, and spend less then 5mins traveling anywhere
metarinka 29th August 2007, 22:18 Quote
I'll be wiling to bet my e-peen that the next blizzard game after SC2 is going to be diablo 3, I'm also willing to bet that it's going to be an MMO it's going to be based on the concept of heaven vs hell, and it's going to have heavy particle and shader based effects. Don't expect to even hear about it until 2008 or 09, as they don't want it to cannabalize the WoW market and wow still has yet another expansion pack.

I played wow for roughly a year, I saw it consume some of my friends IE people with 100-200 played days, no social life etc, I played pretty sparsely I had more to do than sit around and play. but I got to the point where time input was keeping me from advancing, I was very skilled in pvp but I just didn't want to grind 10+ hours to unlock heroics spend 1-2 played days farming purples mats etc. There's an odd point, the game requires hundreds of hours of endgame content for the hardcore players, but at the same time people like me who jts want to jump in play are turned off by the huge time commitment just to experience said end game content, on top of that all the patches and new content is mostly tailored towards end game players making the march for new chars and players even longer.
The last time I played the game was at the WSVG wow 3v3 tourney, we of course played the number 1 ranked team in the wrold (at the time) Turtle Force, and we of course got owned like no other *sigh* it was a sweet reward when Turtle force lost to pandemic, it woulda been a sweeter reward had we walked away with that $30,000 tho
Kipman725 29th August 2007, 22:52 Quote
If wow was like crack what will wow2 be like heroin? deadlynightshade?
Quote:

"You are not the only one, and please keep it that way, Ii have seen whole families getting divorced, and children be left on their own. And have seen homes pilled with junk, dishes piled up to the roof and no householding nomore whatsoever, 10 garbage bags in the hall, seen friends lost their jobs because of, to much sick relieves and freetaking or not even showing up. No more socializing with friends nomore, not comming to birthday party's of friends. Leaving a friends wedding because of some collective wow attack...

All because a damn useless piece of "life" time consuming junk thats called WOW, that also cost money every month. And in the end many lost years, friends and family, sickness and a normal social life..."

yep my personal experiance with wow was not quite as extreme but I rember people playing at the same time having this happen to them.
HourBeforeDawn 29th August 2007, 22:58 Quote
lol thats very true the next MMORPG probably is Diablo 3
Yemerich 30th August 2007, 00:34 Quote
I place my bets on diablo MMORPG
mardukph 30th August 2007, 04:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrock
Very well written. I hate people who blame games for everything. Weather it is violence, addiction or anything else. Everyone is looking for a scapegoat, and it seems gaming is the first one people go for.

Usually the scapegoat is the one whom the accuser (for lack of a better term) does not understand or fear.
Bluephoenix 30th August 2007, 04:34 Quote
never played it, never will.

Diablo 2 was fun because it didn't really take all that long.

the longest run that any game has had on me is BF2. (358 hrs played so far)
Redbeaver 30th August 2007, 06:16 Quote
LOTRO FTW!! :D

sorry, but for me, I still think LOTRO is 10x better.
Rebourne 30th August 2007, 06:31 Quote
WoW never was any fun for me, I prefer EQ2.

I really couldn't resist a starcraft or diablo mmo though.
fri2219 30th August 2007, 09:53 Quote
I want to see one where people pick up diabetes, cancer, and cardiovascular disease from lack of sunlight, lack of exercise, and poor diet.
Bungle 30th August 2007, 17:32 Quote
Blizzard would be MAD not to build on the success of Diablo 2. Then again they did put in a secret cow level, so who knows with these guys:)

Hopes and Prays for Diablo 3.

Wonder what they would call it? maybe Diablo 3 : Heaven Help us;)
flacowboy 30th August 2007, 23:24 Quote
well MMORPG did do some dammange here in the state as one couple got arested for child neglect and abuse and if i remember corectly the baby died from the neglect so yea it does afftect familys
Ecks 2nd September 2007, 08:53 Quote
Played WoW for about 4-5 days maybe, using a Guest Pass.
Eraflo 2nd September 2007, 14:34 Quote
I played WoW for a good few months/over a year maybe. Had 3 level 60s, one of which I levelled to 70. I enjoyed it for a long time but ultimately its just a time sink. I much prefer the care free attitude of online fps now (as I did before WoW)
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums