bit-gamer.net

Square Enix: PS3 still too expensive

Square Enix: PS3 still too expensive

Metal Gear Solid 4 may not be a PlayStation 3 exclusive for long if prices on the console don't fall a bit more.

The PlayStation 3 is, at the very least, trying to be cheaper. The blue lasers for the Blu-ray drive are getting cheaper, the 80GB model of Sony's latest console is going backwards compatibility hardware and the in America the price has been slashed by $100.

The US price for the console now stands at $500, with no price cut in Europe announced yet - though rumours hint it may happen later in the week.

Still, the PlayStation 3 is still too expensive for some and, as just a regular consumer at heart, John Yamamoto is one of the furious. That wouldn't normally count for much of course, but Yamamoto also happens to be Square Enix's head-honcho in America and Europe and is responsible for flooding the market with Final Fantasy remakes and spin-offs.

"I think USD $500 for PS3 is still a bit expensive for most gamers. Most of them think that price is still high." Yamamoto said to the press recently.

Harsh words, eh Sony?

Of course, Yamamoto isn't alone. Kazumi Kituae, who's the European and American face of Konami and is in charge of games like Metal Gear Solid 4, echoed those concerns just yesterday.

"I wonder if Sony can win back user support by the price cut of just $100... I don't expect a substantial impact ... With $500, you can buy a personal computer."

Yes, you can and should because PCs are way better than consoles.

Konami goes even further than Square Enix though, indicating it may change the exclusivity of Metal Gear Solid 4 if things don't change. "Since Metal Gear Solid was born for the PlayStation, we would like to keep it a PlayStation game. But we might have to take some steps."

Can't blame Konami though, can you? It's not like Sony will have paid anything for that exclusive - Sony earns its exclusives instead, apparently. Of course, that just makes this threat more of a damnation for Sony. That said, the PlayStation 3 is still an undeniably powerful piece of kit and probably won't keep breaking like the Xbox 360 does.

So, let's put it to a community poll, shall we? Hands up if you think the PlayStation 3 is still too expensive. No, not yet you crazies - go to the discussion forum first.

39 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
DXR_13KE 11th July 2007, 13:10 Quote
i am confused on what to vote... it is the most expensive by far.... but you get what you pay even if you don't want some of the functions you get.....

edit: the biggest problem for the PS3 is that its consumer base is small compared to other consoles.....
CardJoe 11th July 2007, 13:15 Quote
The PS3 is too expensive for what you get IMO. I laugh everytime I hold the shift key too long on my british keyboard and end up typing PS£ instead.
Vonpo 11th July 2007, 13:23 Quote
Wonder if more game developers think that PS3 is a bad investment for their games?? There seams to be less great titles coming for the PS3 now .. or maybe I'm just bonkers. Anyways back on topic, the PS3 really has an issue when it comes to price in Europe. Its funny to read reports where the distributors claim that their selling of the PS3 is going rather well. Even though the truth is that its not even close to how well PS2 did when it was launched.
DougEdey 11th July 2007, 13:28 Quote
It's a mental price barrier, for what you get it's a good price, but it's marketed very badly
sandys 11th July 2007, 13:29 Quote
Its a steal for whats in the box, the problem with that is most people wouldn't know what to do with it and just see it as a games machine and in this scenario its too expensive.

I think they have priced it well, you can't even get a good GPU for that let alone a whole machine thats going to play quality games and movies for the next 5-10years, its also a machine that will probably last out the period unlike its competition.
steveo_mcg 11th July 2007, 13:47 Quote
I agree the price is fine for what your getting especially compared to the 360, but it so bloody expensive in the UK. As for GPU argument, unless you game on a 32" plasma (small exaggeration i know) a 8800 will do you for a mere £180. As far movie player not really interested in picking a side in the format wars, especially not sony's.
DXR_13KE 11th July 2007, 13:50 Quote
i voted according to this table


The price of it in the EU of $807 (this affects me), the UK is getting it for $852 and the price of it in Brazil of $1,870 ().
Firehed 11th July 2007, 14:03 Quote
Too expensive so far, and still too few games (and the few they have are quite expensive, though that's true of all the consoles). I'm sure it would make a fantastic multimedia device, but Sony is too DRM-obsessed to make it genuinely useful, unless I can just dump any content I please on there and have it Just Play (which is why I'm tempted to chip my classic Xbox and put XBMC on it).

Yeah, it might be priced well for the hardware (I disagree - what moron puts seven cores in something and pairs it with a half-gig of RAM?), but that doesn't matter. 95% of people don't care what's in the box so long as it works and looks pretty, and the other 5% have already made up their minds either way.


Having said that, I also think that the other consoles are fairly overpriced for the game library currently available. I've yet to have anything pique my interest on my Wii since Zelda, and the 360 is going to need more than GoW and Halo3 to get me to bite. Of course, I'm sure there's more in there, but I've probably been subconsciously intentionally avoiding it so I can avoid spending even more money on games or another console.
loratio 11th July 2007, 15:12 Quote
Quote: "Yes, you can and should because PCs are way better than consoles."

Great bias! :D
eldiablo 11th July 2007, 15:51 Quote
Quote:
"With $500, you can buy a personal computer."
This is a bit of an incorrect statement i would say. Yes you can buy a pc for that amount of money, but what you will get will get nowhere close to the possibility's of the ps3.
Sure most people will have to save a bit of money to buy one. But if you really wanna compare it with the price of the xbox 360 you should add the hddvd player. The 360 will still be a bit cheaper, but the gap will be a lot smaller.
Then again, the 360 does have more games (and did on the release?)
Orgat 11th July 2007, 16:23 Quote
No offense intended at all, but looking at Bit-tech's news headlines it seems something is very wrong :p And just confirms suspicions I've had for a while now. I see a sprinkling of negative PS3 headlines as recent as 3 hours ago as with this, some 360 news from E3, but absolutely nothing on the showstopper Sony pulled with the Killzone 2 reveal that every other site on the internet is lit up about. What gives? I've had a suspicion for some time that Bit-tech really favours the reporting of apparently negative PS3 news rather than - omg shock - positive PS3 news, but this seals the deal. How on earth could you rush to report something like this and not killzone?
LoneArchon 11th July 2007, 16:26 Quote
For what you can do with it it is worth the $500. But what most people buy it for it doesn't stack up. The PS3 can run Linux with out a mod chip it has a next gen HD movie player and it is a game console. Most people will buy it for mostly gaming in that use the price is too high to sway buyers especially since there is no current must have game out for it yet.
devdevil85 11th July 2007, 16:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
Hands up if you think the PlayStation 3 is still too expensive
In regards to the US price drop: For sole gaming: (Right now) Yes; (By the end of Xmas) Honestly, Yes As a complete home entertainment setup: (Right now) No! By the end of Xmas: HELL NO!
Tim S 11th July 2007, 17:27 Quote
I think at £280 (the price I can get it for in Taiwan), it's actually a very good machine; at ~£390, us Brits are being ripped off plain and simple. The new price in the US just makes it even more of a rip off here - it's almost £150 cheaper in the US. Only problem I see is that I need an HDTV to really make use of the machine's power.

I'm sorely tempted by a 360 because it's at that "right price" but I'm put off by the red ring of death and disc scratching problems. Again, I'd need an HDTV to really enjoy it to its fullest potential, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgat
No offense intended at all, but looking at Bit-tech's news headlines it seems something is very wrong :p And just confirms suspicions I've had for a while now. I see a sprinkling of negative PS3 headlines as recent as 3 hours ago as with this, some 360 news from E3, but absolutely nothing on the showstopper Sony pulled with the Killzone 2 reveal that every other site on the internet is lit up about. What gives? I've had a suspicion for some time that Bit-tech really favours the reporting of apparently negative PS3 news rather than - omg shock - positive PS3 news, but this seals the deal. How on earth could you rush to report something like this and not killzone?

I think that's a bit harsh, isn't it? To be frank, we hadn't actually seen the Killzone 2 news until you actually just mentioned it - we'd moved onto writing content for the rest of the week, but since you've highlighted an interesting story, we're writing it up. We're not out at E3 so we're not reporting live and to suggest that we're giving the PS3 the rough end of the stick is a little unfair.

We didn't choose to release the PS3 almost six months later, with less functionality at a higher price in our region (Europe). To be left out of the price cuts this time around is a tad annoying too, don't you think? Based on this, Sony's hardly doing itself any favours in Europe.
cozwin 11th July 2007, 17:29 Quote
i think if you compare the consoles the 360 is better yes the ps3 has a stupidly overpowered cpu but video card wise the 360 has it, if 360 didnt have all the problems tbh it would have won the war by now.
Amon 11th July 2007, 17:37 Quote
I think the pricing is modest after the recently announced price cut. It's still only a tad pricey, notwithstanding the near-endless list of functionality and excellent reliability. Plus, it looks pretty when sitting in a wealthily-furnished room. Admittedly, there are few quality titles for the system, but that shouldn't be tied with the hardware's retail cost.
The_Beast 11th July 2007, 17:45 Quote
it's too expensive for me but it's worth it for what you get
CardJoe 11th July 2007, 17:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgat
No offense intended at all, but looking at Bit-tech's news headlines it seems something is very wrong :p And just confirms suspicions I've had for a while now. I see a sprinkling of negative PS3 headlines as recent as 3 hours ago as with this, some 360 news from E3, but absolutely nothing on the showstopper Sony pulled with the Killzone 2 reveal that every other site on the internet is lit up about. What gives? I've had a suspicion for some time that Bit-tech really favours the reporting of apparently negative PS3 news rather than - omg shock - positive PS3 news, but this seals the deal. How on earth could you rush to report something like this and not killzone?

Having written up these stories, I better defend myself methinks.

Basically, I am posting negative Sony things - but only because Sony is messing a few things up which = news. I post just as many things about the 360 repeatedly breaking and not being supported, but at least Microsoft are tackling this with extended warranties.

When Sony do good things, I report it. I always add a little of my own voice and opinion in, thats just the way I roll.

As for Killzone, bear in mind that we are predominantly a hardware, modding and PC gaming site. I've since written up the story as soon as I spotted it, but as Tim points out I can't spend the whole time taking news off other sites. Not unless I want to work for Kotaku, which I don't. I do my morning news and move on to other main articles and features - however with E3 on today I've been spending more time on news than usual and simply missed the Killzone 2 news.

Hope that puts your mind at rest, but if you want to talk about it any further then please just drop me a PM or an email at joe.martin@bit-tech.net and we can talk about it some more.
Andune 11th July 2007, 18:05 Quote
Quote:
Konami goes even further than Square Enix though, indicating it may change the exclusivity of Metal Gear Solid 4 if things don't change.

C'mon SE, just do it. Don't wanna buy the (expensive) PS3 just to play MGS4.
themax 11th July 2007, 18:20 Quote
The current Price Point puts the PS3 at a huge advantage over Microsoft's Elite in terms of features for price. $20 more nets you built in WiFi, a univeral SD reader that you can use with most electronic devices as well as the PS3, and an HD Player with a superior HDMI port (though that HDMI inside of is really not a huge difference, HDMI is HDMI as far as I am concerned). MS gives you the stanard premium package, but charges an additional $80 to have a 120gb drive instead of the 20gb and for a black color. It seems like a steal I suppose when you've had nothing but 20gb (that cost $100 if you went for a core) of storage for over a year. Many people also overlook the 80gb PS3. IT COMES WITH MOTORSTORM. If you factor in the price of an 80gb drive + Motostorm it is about $100 even maybe a few bucks over. You can't say "20gb more plus a game isn't worth $100". Just because the space increase isn't some phenominal number doesn't take away the fact that a drive of that size will cost more than the smaller drive. I think people become short sighted with that fact. It's 20gb more, yes, but if you take your current PS3 and put in an 80gb you won't pay some pro-rated cost because you've got a 60gb already.
pendragon 11th July 2007, 18:44 Quote
video game systems are just too overpriced in my opinion.. and $500 is certainly still too high for myself and (I believe) the average gamer who's looking for a video game system and not a home entertainment system.
Omnituens 11th July 2007, 19:33 Quote
If it had 100%, multi-region BC i would have one tomorrow.
sandys 11th July 2007, 19:36 Quote
Why would it have multi region BC there has not been a multiregion Playstation before?
devdevil85 11th July 2007, 20:00 Quote
I think there needs to be 2 polls for the PS3. One, in terms of gaming alone, and the second being overall functionality (basically what it offers overall to the consumer). Then we would have two different stories in terms of how price influences consumer opinion.......
mikeuk2004 11th July 2007, 20:55 Quote
Another headline regarding the PS3 pricing. How many times do you need to comment on the pricing. I paid £350 for my VGA card 3 -4 YEars ago and I cant even run BF2 with it. People will need to spend more than £400 to play Crysis or even to run Vista but your not going to play at 1080P for £400 of PC.

PS3 is cheap and you dont have to worry if a game that comes out is going to run on your PS3 as they all will.

I have upgraded my pc 4 times in the last 4 years and must have spent over £4k and I still have a pants PC that cant run games over 1200 x 1024. Ps3 will last much longer and dont have to worry if my games will run.

Same goes for the 360, the price is great for what you get.
completemadness 11th July 2007, 23:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozwin
i think if you compare the consoles the 360 is better yes the ps3 has a stupidly overpowered cpu but video card wise the 360 has it, if 360 didnt have all the problems tbh it would have won the war by now.
uh is this actually right ? .....

i mean, every game ive seen on the PS3 looks pretty damn good, wheras the 360 looks ok
atanum141 11th July 2007, 23:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by completemadness
uh is this actually right ? .....

i mean, every game ive seen on the PS3 looks pretty damn good, wheras the 360 looks ok

This has been said time after time

PS3- Powerfull Cpu, poor graphics
Xbox- Slow cpu, brilliant unified graphics.

Its pretty much a Tie.

What separates the two is the games and the online ability which the 360 wins hands down.
DXR_13KE 11th July 2007, 23:54 Quote
please consider that the PS3 does not have the same price world wide........ in some places you pay much more for it.....

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by atanum141
Its pretty much a Tie.

the content makers also say this.
CardJoe 12th July 2007, 11:20 Quote
Bladestorm 12th July 2007, 11:31 Quote
I suspect at the end of the day all these complaints come down to a few simple facts:

Consoles are the most profitable to develop for because they only require one hardware setup and they have a massive user base.

Consoles have had a massive user base because traditionally they were only around £100-£200, the recent consoles that have gone notably above this have had slower takeup (relatively)

If the PS3 has a much smaller user base, developers won't want to develop for it, which leaves them trying to move to other consoles/platforms that may not be as profitable, and will particularly annoy them if they already have games too far in development to easily (&/ cheaply) switch.

So they whine, to try and force sony to massively cut the console price so that there will be enough users to make lots of money from when they release games.

It may also be that sony will pull/not renew the contracts allowing development for PS2 and/or try and hold people to contracts saying they would make a game for PS3/sony which again and because of the above will leave them very prone to whining if they don't see the console doing well.
Blademrk 12th July 2007, 13:41 Quote
The problem is it's far to expensive for a games machine - I don't care if it's got Blue-ray drive/player, or if you can install Linux on it or if it's got mem card readers or whatever, at the end of the day I only want it to play games. and at this point in time the PS3 hasn't really got anything I want to play that isn't on the 360.
Quote:
Originally Posted by themax

IT COMES WITH MOTORSTORM

tbh, I'm not that bothered with Racing games that much and it's not a title I would buy, so I would rather have it cheaper without the game.
themax 12th July 2007, 14:29 Quote
I'm not trying to say everyone should want or enjoy it. But people I see who take up issue with the 80gb pricing always seem to state as if you are paying $100 just for 20gb of extra space which is untrue and bad information. I was saying that it's not just an additional 20gb of space, but also the PS3's best racing game at the moment that comes with the system. Not every SKU setup is everyone's cup of tea though so it doesn't matter what game they package with it someone won't like the game.
devdevil85 12th July 2007, 15:37 Quote
Well Blademrk, I'm sorry you live in the EU because in the USA I can now grab a used 20GB PS3 for $369 at my local GameStop. That is pretty good because it doesn't come with all that "extra" stuff and I can pretty much just use it for gaming, but I guess since it would come with a BR drive I would possibly use it for movies, but I'd probably just continue using my Cable Provider for HD Movie content. I can also pick up a used 60GB PS3 for $450. Blademrk, if you use your head (because you seem like a pretty smart guy) you'll probably be able to grab a PS3 (used maybe) for a price that you're willing to pay later on this Xmas when there's a possible pricecut and maybe so actual good games out.....atleast that's what I would assume....anyways I'm just trying to be optimistic for your situation because I would assume that if pricecuts show potential here in the US, Sony will do the same for the EU.....
DougEdey 12th July 2007, 16:22 Quote
Well, there appears to be a price cut coming, a store in Belgium (Glider; i love you remember, please send asap) is selling the PS3 with an extra pad and two games (RFOM and Motorcross) for 599 euros (£400~)
completemadness 12th July 2007, 23:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blademrk
The problem is it's far to expensive for a games machine - I don't care if it's got Blue-ray drive/player, or if you can install Linux on it or if it's got mem card readers or whatever, at the end of the day I only want it to play games. and at this point in time the PS3 hasn't really got anything I want to play that isn't on the 360
well the same could be said of the PS2, yet one of the things that shifted a lot of units was the fact it played DVD's, so i guess it is a small bonus that it will play BR
However, as is apparent by sales, HD content just isn't as popular as DVD, so the fact is has a BR drive wont push as many units and the DVD did for the PS2

That said, when you do consider you get a BR drive, plus the gaming console, plus it will play videos and stuff, its better value then a standalone player, and you can play games also

However, i agree, its still too expensive, and to make use of HD content you need a HD screen which is even more money to spend, in all ill just stick with my PC kthx (and i think that's the smart move for anyone, consoles have never been great value for money tbh)
mardukph 13th July 2007, 11:14 Quote
For the console, you are getting what you pay for, but the problem is or rather, are the lack of interesing games you can play now.
Mister_X 13th July 2007, 11:18 Quote
I think the PS3 is still lagging in bang for your buck (well £ anyway) , give it a year to mature a bit.... We'll see.

Wii60 for now
best49erfan 15th July 2007, 05:52 Quote
Im not a big PS2/3 fan, but on occasion i have thought about getting one. I also have a 360 elite and a Wii. I have played a couple games on the PS3 and I must say, i have had more fun playing wii sports than other games. most of the games available for the PS3 have been already released on the 360 months ago. I would rather upgrade my PC to play games like Gears of War that is moving to the PC. it was amazing on the 360 and will get better on the PC. As for the 360 CPU being slow???? It is a triple-core 3.2 GHZ processor. I would not call that slow. the ps3 also has not had a "killer app" RFOM, comes close, but it is no Halo 2.
mattthegamer463 15th July 2007, 06:05 Quote
I spend 4x more on my PC than I would have if I bought a PS3. Would I do it again?


You bet.

49er is right, its a great system, etc etc, but the PC, the original gaming console, still cannot be beat for versatility and usability. PLUS YOU CAN ADD STUFF TO IT! How sweet is that? When was the last time you could upgrade your memory on a console... N64s RAM expansion pack?!? Consoles could learn a thing or two from the PC.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums