bit-gamer.net

Metal Gear Solid 4 is exclusive to PS3

Metal Gear Solid 4 is exclusive to PS3

Metal Gear Solid 4 will be the last in the series that celebrates its 20th anniversary this month.

During this evening's Sony press conference at E3, Jack Tretton confirmed that Metal Gear Solid 4 will be a PlayStation 3 exclusive.

This should put to rest the rumours surrounding which platforms the game would be available on, after Konami hinted that the series may go multi-platform. The news will no doubt disappoint Xbox 360 owners that were hoping to play the game, too.

Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima came to the stage at the conference to show off a new real-time trailer, but also announced that this would be his last involvement in the series.

He told attendees that "the story for Snake will end," before noting that all of the series' plotlines and mysteries would be resolved in this final instalment.

The game will follow the series' tradition with stealth based gameplay, although this time it'll be held in battlefields. The series celebrates its 20th anniversary this month and the finale will be released worldwide in Spring 2008.

Discuss in our forums

25 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Amon 11th July 2007, 23:12 Quote
Sony says: "Snake-san is coor. All your Snake are belong to us."
will. 11th July 2007, 23:12 Quote
Someone paid someone a lot of money... So much for Sony 'earning' it's exclusives... :p

Oooor! Possibly this whole thing was started by someone at Msoft who under instruction was trying to tempt Hideo Kojima into making it multiplatform by showing how many people wanted it...
ElZog 11th July 2007, 23:22 Quote
Remember some exclusives are more exclusive than others. Wasn't RE4 said to be specifically GC exclusive initially (not timed)? I reckon a year down the line we might see a port to 360, sure it's a long time but still...
wafflesomd 12th July 2007, 01:56 Quote
Every MGS game has been ported, I expect this one to be as well.
Brooxy 12th July 2007, 02:08 Quote
How long shall we give it, before Sony loses exclusitivity? (is that even a word?)
themax 12th July 2007, 02:25 Quote
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater says you are wrong wafflesomd.
knowyourenemy 12th July 2007, 08:39 Quote
Did they not say (LIVE) in that press conference, that Unreal Tournament 3 is also going to be a PS3 exclusive? If so, then the outcome is two-fold:
  1. Sony is now above George W. Bush on my list of people or organizations that I wish die in a car fire.
  2. My pants will no longer will be able to feel the blow of my load upon seeing UT3 running on my PC.

I call shenanigans.

Edit: Just a note, the only group to supersede Sony and GWB on my "die in a car fire" list are Pizza Hut employees.
DougEdey 12th July 2007, 08:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowyourenemy
Did they not say (LIVE) in that press conference, that Unreal Tournament 3 is also going to be a PS3 exclusive? If so, then the outcome is two-fold:
  1. Sony is now above George W. Bush on my list of people or organizations that I wish die in a car fire.
  2. My pants will no longer will be able to feel the blow of my load upon seeing UT3 running on my PC.

I call shenanigans.

Edit: Just a note, the only group to supersede Sony and GWB on my "die in a car fire" list are Pizza Hut employees.

That will never happen, firstly, Epic have always said that UT3 was first and foremost a PC game. Secondly, Microsoft got exclusivity to GoW.

EDIT: I just found the source for it over at Eurogamer, I haven't seen it elsewhere, but if it's true then my Avatar will change/
Tim S 12th July 2007, 08:52 Quote
I'm pretty sure that UT3 is coming out on the PC
DougEdey 12th July 2007, 09:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S
I'm pretty sure that UT3 is coming out on the PC

This is the problem with bad reporting, I didn't believe it either, so I went hunting for the original press release

As you can see:
Quote:
Midway, Epic Games and Sony Computer Entertainment America Announce Unreal Tournament 3 as Exclusive to PLAYSTATION 3 System and PC in 2007

One of the sides though (which really is very very, very important) is this:
Quote:
"We feel very confident that Unreal Tournament 3 will continue to deliver on Epic's promise to gamers to develop only the highest quality titles using our cutting-edge Unreal Engine 3 technology," said Mark Rein, vice president and co-founder, Epic Games. "The game takes full advantage of the power of the PLAYSTATION 3 system, and Unreal Tournament 3 will for the first time allow users to create robust user created content, known as "mods", on the PC version and play them on the PLAYSTATION 3 system. We're extremely excited about this and we feel this will bring a level of creativity, innovation and replayability not previously seen on home consoles."

Which is making me want a PS3 (I've wanted one since I knew UT3 was coming out because a PC upgrade is too expensive)
Edvuld 12th July 2007, 12:57 Quote
FPS belongs to the PC scene IMO, just like RE and adventure belongs to consoles. (Once again IMO.)

I hope they make it awailable over multiple platforms.
mikeuk2004 12th July 2007, 13:09 Quote
It will eventually come out on other consoles but MGS to me has always been played on PS, so if it does come out on 360 ill get the PS3 version.

I hope to be playing MGS when I finally get a Ps3 for Christmas. Wife has said that If I get a Ps3 then she wants my 360 lol. Im not giving up my 360 and said can still play, but she does not want that, she wants it to be hers only lol.
devdevil85 12th July 2007, 17:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvuld
FPS belongs to the PC scene IMO, just like RE and adventure belongs to consoles. (Once again IMO.)

I hope they make it awailable over multiple platforms.
Edvuld, idk how many times I've said this, but you can use a Mouse/Keyboard setup with the PS3 (of course it has to be wireless bluetooth which = $$$), so with that said, what makes FPS gameplay on PC any better than on PS3 because that's the only real reason isn't it, the mouse and keyboard?

Don't get me wrong, PC's are superior to consoles (in every way imaginable), but in terms of FPS gameplay the PS3 is equal (as long as have a Mouse/Keyboard setup).
CardJoe 12th July 2007, 17:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdevil85
Edvuld, idk how many times I've said this, but you can use a Mouse/Keyboard setup with the PS3 (of course it has to be wireless bluetooth which = $$$), so with that said, what makes FPS gameplay on PC any better than on PS3 because that's the only real reason isn't it, the mouse and keyboard?

Don't get me wrong, PC's are superior to consoles (in every way imaginable), but in terms of FPS gameplay the PS3 is equal (as long as have a Mouse/Keyboard setup).

Its not just to do with the hardware, its to do with the design FOR the hardware. Console game developers know people have controllers, so they develop for them. A console FPS played with a mouse and keyboard is too easy and not fun, even if the PS3 can do it.
devdevil85 12th July 2007, 17:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Its not just to do with the hardware, its to do with the design FOR the hardware. Console game developers know people have controllers, so they develop for them. A console FPS played with a mouse and keyboard is too easy and not fun, even if the PS3 can do it.
Yeah, you do have a point Joe. I've never played a mouse/keyboard FPS on the PS3, so I would probably assume it would be too easy than on PC, but wouldn't you think later on developers would add the choices 'Controller Mode' or 'Mouse/Keyboard Mode' to their FPS games (especially Sony) to help decide how the game should run, considering some people may be trying to use a M/K setup while playing it (espcially if the PS3 will allow for it)?
CardJoe 12th July 2007, 17:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdevil85
Yeah, you do have a point Joe. I've never played a mouse/keyboard FPS on the PS3, so I would probably assume it would be too easy than on PC, but wouldn't you think later on developers would add the choices 'Controller Mode' or 'Mouse/Keyboard Mode' to their FPS games (especially Sony) to help decide how the game should run, considering some people may be trying to use a M/K setup while playing it (espcially if the PS3 will allow for it)?

Nope, I wouldn't think that. It would take too much time to rebalance the entire game, unless it was being rebalanced anyway for a port (which are ussually poorly balanced anyway), for what is probably less than 1% of PS3 owners.

It's like the wii, only a handful of games support the retro controller or all the unofficial device, most only support the chuck and mote because they know everybody has them. And thats with official devices, not just 'a bluetooth mouse/keyboard' which doesn't exactly narrow things down a lot for developers.

The whole point of a console game is you can target for very specific specs and hardware.
benjamyn 12th July 2007, 17:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdevil85
Edvuld, idk how many times I've said this, but you can use a Mouse/Keyboard setup with the PS3 (of course it has to be wireless bluetooth which = $$$), so with that said, what makes FPS gameplay on PC any better than on PS3 because that's the only real reason isn't it, the mouse and keyboard?

Don't get me wrong, PC's are superior to consoles (in every way imaginable), but in terms of FPS gameplay the PS3 is equal (as long as have a Mouse/Keyboard setup).


theres more to PC FPS's than M+K, remember PC always gets the best user-created stuff and mods etc.
Garys mod on the Xbox 360 version of half life 2? unlikely
Edvuld 12th July 2007, 19:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdevil85
Edvuld, idk how many times I've said this, but you can use a Mouse/Keyboard setup with the PS3 (of course it has to be wireless bluetooth which = $$$), so with that said, what makes FPS gameplay on PC any better than on PS3 because that's the only real reason isn't it, the mouse and keyboard?

Don't get me wrong, PC's are superior to consoles (in every way imaginable), but in terms of FPS gameplay the PS3 is equal (as long as have a Mouse/Keyboard setup).

Yeah, I might be old-fashioned, but it just doesn't feel right. That said, I haven't played 360 nor PS3 at all.
devdevil85 12th July 2007, 20:27 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamyn
theres more to PC FPS's than M+K, remember PC always gets the best user-created stuff and mods etc.
Garys mod on the Xbox 360 version of half life 2? unlikely
Yes, but you pay more for the PC....trust me...like I said before: PC's are superior to consoles, but for someone like me, who's on a budget, I am really eyeing the PS3 even in-terms of FPSs because it will allow for a M+K setup, but like Joe said, PC FPSs are going to have the right gameplay/structure for a M+K setup vs. a console FPS which would have to take care of both worlds (of course they would put almost all attention to the controller setup and the M+K last)....so in the end (and this is if Joe is right...which he normally is sadly..hehe jk) PC FPSs also win in the gameplay category. I hope it's not true for future games......
supermonkey 12th July 2007, 20:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
A console FPS played with a mouse and keyboard is too easy and not fun, even if the PS3 can do it.
OK, I'll admit that I'm not exactly up to date on the whole console thing (I went from NES -> PS2 -> Wii), but I don't understand your statement. Are you saying that adding a keyboard and mouse to a console FPS makes it easier and less fun than the PC version, or are you saying that it makes it easier relative to playing an FPS on a console with the stock controller?

Maybe it's my console ignorance showing, but I don't see how a console FPS with keyboard and mouse would be much different than a PC version (barring user-created mods and the odd difference in graphics); the gameplay, to me, should be just about the same. In my opinion, the distinction between console and PC is becoming so muddled these days that it's almost not worth contrasting the two. I was watching some XBox thing from E3 the other night, and I saw that the XBox, in addition to being a game console, now downloads movies and television shows.

-monkey
ElZog 12th July 2007, 20:49 Quote
Consoles usually have some degree of auto aim where the cursor jumps to enemies, sometimes very slight but it is noticeable. very useful for aiming with analogue, but for aiming with mouse it is ridiculous, makes it very very easy.
devdevil85 12th July 2007, 22:04 Quote
You would think that the game would "know" that you were using a M+K and that the Auto-Aim feature would be shut-off, but what do I know.....I'm just the gamer so....
ElZog 12th July 2007, 22:19 Quote
Console shooters in general (obviously not UT3 since it is a port) used to have a lot more enemies on or near the horizontal plane so the gamer doesn't have to aim all over the place at enemies everywhere on screen at the same time.

Expect the coders wouldn't bother with the auto aim off feature if it meant extra work when they are trying to get the game out early enough for the exclusivity to be worth something, plus as was said before, very few PS3 users will get M+K to play it with, hell most will probably just play killzone 2 which will be designed for gamepad play anyway.
Skill3d 13th July 2007, 00:09 Quote
hmz i thought this was a mgs4 topic, NOT a pc vs ps3 or UT3 topic

If mgs4 releases guess I'll buy mgs 2 and 3 and play mgs 1,2,3 and then 4 I luv snake :)

after that I can use my stealthy suit and bandana to do some ninja without running out of bullets
knowyourenemy 13th July 2007, 04:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEdey
This is the problem with bad reporting, I didn't believe it either, so I went hunting for the original press release

As you can see:



One of the sides though (which really is very very, very important) is this:


Which is making me want a PS3 (I've wanted one since I knew UT3 was coming out because a PC upgrade is too expensive)

Thank you for the reassurance. The "bad reporting" I originally heard from was a friend attending the floor and texting me via his damned Sidekick. I swear, they have to outlaw those things, especially in the hands of professionals.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums