HL2: Orange Box delayed on PS3?

HL2: Orange Box delayed on PS3?

Half-Life: Episode 2 may be delayed on the PS3. Or not. It's hard to know who to trust, honestly.

IGN recently managed to get a preview of Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and came back with some interesting news, which may or may not be true.

While they obviously reported that they loved the game and that Valve were doing the usually excellent job of continuing the adventures of everybody's favourite crowbar wielding mute, they had some less impressive news regarding the PS3 release;

"All that remains now is the long wait for October when Half-Life 2: Orange Box (hopefully) sees release on PC and 360. For PS3 owners, the wait will be even longer and possibly into 2008."

Kotaku soon picked up on the story and contacted Doug Lombardi of Valve to confirm IGN's bombshell.

"I'm not sure why the IGN guys have that listed. Right now, we're targeting early October for release of The Orange Box on all three platforms - PS3, PC, and 360," Doug Lombardi told reporters.

We're taking that news with a pinch of salt though because, while Valve is known for its top-quality games, its reputation for keeping to release dates isn't so good.

What do you think - is the delay for the PS3 likely, or is IGN just stirring it up a little bit? Would the delay prove to be another nail in the coffin of the PS3? If you've got a clue, then get to our forums.

mikeuk2004 25th May 2007, 14:30 Quote
When a Valve game gets delayed it does not matter which platform its on because there is no surprise there.

I dont get excited about any valve game until its released.
Aankhen 26th May 2007, 00:53 Quote
Hah. "Of course we won't delay it, you know we're especially particular about sticking to release dates!"
Would the delay prove to be another nail in the coffin of the PS3?
Okay, I'll bite… I was under the impression that the PS3 is just getting into its groove, actually, particularly with the announcements of Haze and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. While a delay in the release of the Orange Box is obviously not good for the PS3, it certainly won't kill it.
tuteja1986 26th May 2007, 10:20 Quote
I am more said if its coming out in OCTOBER !! ARE THEY KIDDING :( ... !!!

Geezee i have no faith in Valve... This better be a 12hr + game not a short 4hr episode. Arr the amount of time Valve has taken time from half life 2 to develop Half life episode 1 and episode 2 is about the same time it took bioware to develop mass effect. I would have rather Valve had developed half life 3 instead of episode 1 and episode 2. Also i don't care about portal or Team fortress 2. I loved TF1 but i don't like the fact they are making it loony looking.
DXR_13KE 26th May 2007, 16:46 Quote
predictable.....
devdevil85 29th May 2007, 22:28 Quote
Originally Posted by Aankhen

Remember Aankhen, it's Joe Martin writing the article.....no further explanation needed....
CardJoe 30th May 2007, 09:53 Quote
Having had a good look at Haze lately, the first chance I've really had to preview it, at Ubidays 2007 I have to agree with the above comment though. Haze looks so damn good and so damn interesting, I'm seriously contemplating getting a PS3 just to play it ASAP. If Free Radical deliver on their promises plotwise then it could, in my eyes at least, be the HL-killer of story driven FPS games.

As for the PS3, I'm not very sure that just Haze and Drakes fortune could save it, given that MGS4 is delayed a year and theres few other must have titles coming this year. That said, the Wii is also suffering a drought right now so we'll wait and see.
devdevil85 31st May 2007, 17:08 Quote
Joe, I agree with you on that Haze will be a must-have for the PS3, but that it will not "save" the PS3 in-terms of surpassing Sony's goal on units sold or even outselling the 360 or Wii, but the PS3 is in no way "losing" and this "last nail in the coffin" crap is getting old quick. Haze will help it's cause and give current PS3 owner's a decent game to actually play until something better comes out. As for MGS4 and HL2: Orange Box, it's sad that they are being delayed because I am really looking forward to seeing how these games turn out. In my opinion, you still need to give Sony until this Xmas until you can start saying the "PS3 is losing".