bit-tech.net

Mod of the Year 2013

Comments 126 to 146 of 146

Reply
Nexxo 5th January 2014, 14:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFrog
I agree with these comments as I certainly feel that my contributions are personal opinions and that they are rarely welcome should they differ from the general consensus.

I wonder what you mean by "welcome". Just because some people disagree with your opinions does not mean you're not allowed to express them. But others are equally allowed to challenge them.
B NEGATIVE 5th January 2014, 14:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxo
I wonder what you mean by "welcome". Just because some people disagree with your opinions does not mean you're not allowed to express them. But others are equally allowed to challenge them.


Agreed.

My take on the whole sponsorship thing is that people that dont have to spend the money on hardware have a greater budget for doing the enclosure,hence the profusion of CNC parts/mills appearing.
Nothing to stop anyone buying a £400 eBay special and doing it yourself tho......I can see a desktop mill in my future for sure.

There needs to be a demarcation line between the corporate sponsored stuff and the community 'bought and paid for' rigs if only for a sense of fairness,I mean how many of these heavily sponsored rigs would of been modded they way they have if the components had to be bought? Those that sit there and mock others for the limited way they have done stuff,saying its not modding unless they have altered everything in the box need to get a grip.

I used to knock OCN for charging for buildlogs that are sponsored and denying them MOTM access,I can see why they do it now. You get a better community driven log section,where its all done at a user level.

Either way,sponsorship and CNC are here to stay,we just need to reward the users rather than corporate budget spenders. Do it with your votes,dont want CNC ruling the roost? Then dont vote for it in builds. Sick of corporate sponsorships? Dont Vote for the sponsored rigs.

Its really as easy as that.
bawjaws 5th January 2014, 14:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by B NEGATIVE
Either way,sponsorship and CNC are here to stay,we just need to reward the users rather than corporate budget spenders. Do it with your votes,dont want CNC ruling the roost? Then dont vote for it in builds. Sick of corporate sponsorships? Dont Vote for the sponsored rigs.

Its really as easy as that.

I agree entirely with this - people should be voting for the mods that they like using whatever criteria they think are appropriate. So all of those who don't like the profusion of heavily sponsored builds or CNC builds can vote for other mods that espouse whatever modding ethos they prefer. Similarly, however, those who don't really care whether a mod is sponsored or uses an expensive production process are entirely free to vote for whichever mods they like.

At the end of the day, MOTY is voted for by those who actually, you know, vote. So if you have strong opinions on this sort of thing, get out there and vote for your favourites. As of this post, there have been just over 150 voters and the thread has nearly 8,000 views (obviously not all unique viewers, but the point still stands).

That said, I've not voted yet, but that's because I've not had enough time to look over all of the entries. I'll be voting soon though :D
Phame 5th January 2014, 19:45 Quote
Thank you for the nomination and congratulations all that were.

Abit shocked that people think it shouldn't be there along with Vesper. :( [Bah humbug]

Arrhh well i'm still happy you guys enjoyed the Wet Pi's journey as I did. :)

Good news it still going strong! :D
bulldogjeff 5th January 2014, 21:36 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by B NEGATIVE
Agreed.

My take on the whole sponsorship thing is that people that dont have to spend the money on hardware have a greater budget for doing the enclosure,hence the profusion of CNC parts/mills appearing.
Nothing to stop anyone buying a £400 eBay special and doing it yourself tho......I can see a desktop mill in my future for sure.

There needs to be a demarcation line between the corporate sponsored stuff and the community 'bought and paid for' rigs if only for a sense of fairness,I mean how many of these heavily sponsored rigs would of been modded they way they have if the components had to be bought? Those that sit there and mock others for the limited way they have done stuff,saying its not modding unless they have altered everything in the box need to get a grip.

I used to knock OCN for charging for buildlogs that are sponsored and denying them MOTM access,I can see why they do it now. You get a better community driven log section,where its all done at a user level.

Either way,sponsorship and CNC are here to stay,we just need to reward the users rather than corporate budget spenders. Do it with your votes,dont want CNC ruling the roost? Then dont vote for it in builds. Sick of corporate sponsorships? Dont Vote for the sponsored rigs.

Its really as easy as that.
The debate between CNC, scratch build and sponsored builds will rage for ever. I put a thread up about it a few years ago and as always opinions varied. Its been thrown out there in the past about splitting them all up in the MOTY, but when all is said and done if people vote for what they like that is what will win.. Simple as that.

One thing have learned is that you don't have to throw vast amounts of cash at a build for it to look good, I know a lot of people do and having all the latest hardware is great, that doesn't automatically mean it will win a MOTM prize or the MOTY. For me modding is a hobby and a past time that I enjoy. if I ever picked up a bit of sponsorship on the way then that would be great. But I work with in my budget (most of the time) and if a few people like what I am doing then thats even better.

The way I see it, is when the fun side has gone and it gets to competitive, as it does for some people then is no longer worth the effort.
jackjack 6th January 2014, 09:34 Quote
Voted, Voted and Voted ^_^
Awesome build guys! and Good Luck!
bundymania 7th January 2014, 11:13 Quote
Outstanding builds !! :)
kenco_uk 7th January 2014, 16:27 Quote
Very, very difficult choice, narrowing down to three! My word, they are all worthy. Very distinctive. Still, I've made my choices - best of luck to all!
Pirra 7th January 2014, 23:00 Quote
Woow man you really have a high quality level in this contest

My vote goes for Cheapskate, i really like his project.
TheGreatSatan 10th January 2014, 03:05 Quote
Cheapskate 10th January 2014, 17:43 Quote
TGS is at it again. You are awesome. -and thanks for the vote.
Thanks to Pirra too.:D
Attila 11th January 2014, 08:25 Quote
Indeed! Very nice gesture satan.

And Cheaps, you're looking good for the final judging. Good luck. ;)
craig - toyoracer 11th January 2014, 17:25 Quote
Well done by all for the great builds this year. ;)

Took a while to go through the list but picks are in. :D


Modding is about having a vision and then creating it. These builds have done that, congratulations to all. :)
Waynio 12th January 2014, 08:41 Quote
Sowwy about that, I'm back.

Pwobably Attilas post & some others that did the twick along with the sewious tone fwom cheaps which is so out of chawacter. :D

Yes, quite mentally exhausted & couldn't be bothered doing a silly wamble which had become as much of a part of MOTY as awesome pwojects. :)
Nexxo 12th January 2014, 11:42 Quote
> sigh of relief <
TheGreatSatan 15th January 2014, 03:03 Quote
When is this decided?
Cheapskate 18th January 2014, 19:49 Quote
April?
TheGreatSatan 19th January 2014, 07:07 Quote
Wow!
abbas-it 21st January 2014, 10:46 Quote
i can only repeat what the others have already said, thx bit-tech.
of course its always nice to win, but thats the bonus. just being nominated here is the greatest of honors and motivates us all to make even greater stuff.
good luck and congrats to all who made the list and thx to all readers who nominated me too.
Mosquito 24th January 2014, 18:38 Quote
Are the results from facebook voting going to be revealed? I'm curious now, since GwassGween didn't make it to the final judging, but had 2nd most votes here...
l3p 24th January 2014, 18:47 Quote
Totally didn't expect this outcome :)

Congrats to all of you guys!!
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums